Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: setting measurable goals for improvement of technique

So you think a morning workout is not good on the same day as a hard sparring session - any type of morning workout or just hard sessions?

Many eons ago before I injured myself (about 6 months ago) I would often use my lunch hour to fit in extra training aswell as the mornings and go to boxing at night. I now know that was a little stupid although I feel lazy if I only train once a day - especially since I can't always predict whether or not a boxing training is going to be hard and I don't finish early enough to run afterwards.

My brother trained as a rower for the Australian Institute of Sport and I have some vague memory that they had some way of testing how long he took to peak after stopping training to taper for competition. I'm not sure if there is a recognized approach to test how long you take to recover from a work out. Aerobically I guess it'd just be the time taken for your heart rate to return to resting but as for your anaerobic system I have no idea. Have you heard of anything?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What youre talking about isnt true get back to you of to the gym.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    So you think a morning workout is not good on the same day as a hard sparring session - any type of morning workout or just hard sessions?
    It's fine to work out in the morning, I'm just saying that do not want to start out sparring with your body fatigued. Listen to your body, you should know what it takes to make you tired. greysnotsoold said the same thing in regards to overtraining.

That's my point. Now go to the gym do your stuff. Just don't work too hard, and when it comes to being at peak condition make sure you are fresh the day of the fight, and that you are not already worn out before you have a sparring match.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes I think I've learnt the hard way not to overtrain - now I don't spend that many hours training I'm not sure how it worked in the first place - not good for my study that's for sure!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I know what it's like. Plus it doesn't help your friends have any more fun when you're burned out.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's much more to aerobic recovery than getting your hr back to normal - use your noodle on that one.

As for not doing supplementary training before sparring etc. it depends on what you're trying to achieve from the session.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's much more to aerobic recovery than getting your hr back to normal - use your noodle on that one.

As for not doing supplementary training before sparring etc. it depends on what you're trying to achieve from the session.

Don't know what happened there - two posts for the price of one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    One more thing that I would like to add especially since you've also taken an interest in Von's pulley machine.

All boxing training (sparring, shadowboxing, and bagwork) has to be done before any supplementary training that trains especially in particularly the upper body.
    absolutely right. I make a point of hitting the bag right after i use the thing so I don't "forget" how to punch for real, or lose speed. ie, to re-gain that feel. It's always my jab that feels the weirdest after I work it on the machine. But I know for a fact it's helped strengthen it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    One more thing that I would like to add especially since you've also taken an interest in Von's pulley machine.

All boxing training (sparring, shadowboxing, and bagwork) has to be done before any supplementary training that trains especially in particularly the upper body.
    absolutely right. I make a point of hitting the bag right after i use the thing so I don't "forget" how to punch for real, or lose speed. ie, to re-gain that feel. It's always my jab that feels the weirdest after I work it on the machine. But I know for a fact it's helped strengthen it...

One of you said before and the other said after and yet there was agreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol, i noticed that as i wrote it. the message is clear.... everything is supplementary to the real thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it just me or is it so easy to overtrain by accident because it can be the little easy workouts ometimes that put you over the edge. The ones you think shouldn't count for much like the easy 30 min jog you do with a friend or transport cycling. Also I used to feel fine the first and second day I would overtrain in the week - it wasn't until I'd already overdone it I for several days that I felt really burnt out and sleep deprived.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me, I never had any problem over training. I'd just get the achies when starting something new and in a week I'm increasing like a madman.

Not to beat my own drum but I gotta tell you when I started weight training a few years ago. Everone lifting was doing at least their own bodyweight on the free weights. For me the first few days I was so sore I had half the range of motion in my arms, and my legs were shaky. Like magic the soreness went away after the week and I was adding several pounds everyday. On some machines like the leg extensions I could squeeze off more than 65 lbs (3 sets/10 reps) but after a month I was doing 180 which was the machines max, with the addition of ankle weights and 15 reps. I have good endurance when I'm in season, I was only outdone by a friend of mine that could have given Bruce Lee a run for the money. Biggest factors that helped me go full throttal was going to bed at 10:00/30ish and getting a good 8 hours sleep. A good labor job helps, and also a good routine along with a good diet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A big part of it with me might have been sleep but I also just became enthused with running and overtrained with that. If spread the same time over other parts of my training a little more like low intensity weights and more swimming perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad? Perhaps it also crept up on me because I was used to running enough to get sore legs relatively rarely and it was just overall fatigue that hit me when I overtrained.

Although I am guessing here as since everyones probably already worked out I'm not a sports scientist/trainer - just a plant geek trying to pick up a few things from everyone else.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It sounds like you need to run without impact
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wha'd you have in mind, scrap?

Thread Information