Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default setting measurable goals for improvement of technique

Sorry this is one of my long winded, convoluted Q's but would be great if anyone can help me out.

I went to a sports psychology talk recently about goal setting.

One of the characteristics of a good goal versus a bad goal was one that is measurable.

Apparently a goal like 'to win' is too vague and will often have a negative psychological effect.

Setting measurable goals for physical conditioning is easy because you can measure speed and strength etc.

I was wondering if anyone might have a system for measuring their technical improvement they could recommend.

I thought of video taping sparring sessions but if your training partners also improve then it might not be a clear indication of how much you've improved.

So would you just video bag work and look at form without the pressure of an opponent and hope it transfers to the ring?

Anyone have any ideas?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: setting measurable goals for improvement of technique

I took a third year sport psychology class. It was interesting. We video tape the sparring sessions also. More or less so the fighter can see the flaws because it's difficult for them to vision their flaws. can't you feel your progress? It isn't necessary to have on paper. It's not a tangible achievement. It's there in the confidence you build.

Sorry to digress for a minute, but are you Canadian?

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing's very hard to quanitify, other than road work and the amount of punches you can throw and dodge with in a round etc

in terms of conditioning there are ways to measure it but in terms of pure boxing technique you've got a lot to take in... opposition etc... peaks... bla bla bla

you've basically got to get a third party to watch you and give you a score, judge you... but not off the opposition, just off what they see

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll get back with you tomorrow, so happens that one of my goals is to go to sleep earlier than usual.

Here's the short and simple Sharla, Boxing is learning in pieces, it takes time to put those pieces together but all in all it your work is for a larger goal. Everything can be measured, attributes, qualities, and abilities can be taken apart piece by piece, practiced and put to use altogether.

Right now it's observation, what can you do or what you like to do. Just keep in mind that you can only do something if you have some belief to go with it.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks all for the suggestions everyone -

I'm Australian - which is why some of my posting times might seem a little strange 

I saw a Canadian girl only a little bigger than me fight last night in the finals of the World Firefighters and Police games. I also met the USA boxing coach on the weekend and got a quick boxing lesson. However, I'm not a police officer or firefighter so I'm not allowed to compete. .... No chance you're the boxing coach I met is there Oldtown? Why did you think I might be Canadian?

I guess I can sometimes feel my improvement but i think I've hit a point where the things I need to improve the most are difficult for me to improve significantly enough over a short period of time to be really noticeable.

I look foreward to your suggestions too thanks Chris 
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're Aussie, I just had it in my mind that you are some kind of nocturnal vampire or something. Anyways are you ready Sharla? Here's rundown on making things happen and keeping it up.

Think about it, before you draw out your goals you gotta realise yourself a piece of you want. Take your topic for instance, "improvement of technique", as for some measurable goals you'll need to approach things at a more what-can-I-do-now level. Exactly put, this is divide and conquer.

Now say for instance that you're getting hit more that you should, so you start thinking you don't want to keep eating those punches. Already thoughts are going through your head of what you can do to change that. Now let's say in light of that you've set a simple goal like practicing slipping punches or w/e, now you gotta think about where you can apply it, and how you can take it deeper.

Okay, you with me so far? Let's see where we put it into action.

Shadowboxing is going to be your drawing board after drawing boards so you can practice and experience/feel these new thoughts, so you can bring them into play as you become ready to tackle bigger and better things. Now you can further take this to the bags, with your sparring buddy or where ever, just think, "the MORE you put your goals in action, the MORE it's going to happen." That's catchy isn't it?

Now the Point?

To improve at anything you must first notice it, see where you can take it (and by what means), experience it, and then master it. At that you can feel it, you're beginning to be in control.

Now if you're like a lot of girls and your mind wanders or you just find that you caught up doing something else, then do things that will keep you focused. Now figure out these little things that you can work on, repeat it to yourself, tell you're boxing pals what's on your mind, and if it helps, write it down.

You mentioned video taping, that's fine if that's what it takes for you to see you're doing but there's an easier route. Have you heard of a mirror, a big one they're great for letting yourself see what you're doing, and better than a video you can feel it right there. It nice to feel what's right it's easier to repeat how feels than it is to repeat what you saw.

Now if you're one of these serious boxing types you'll take every chance you can get to make a good idea work for you. Now you tackle getting into fighting shape, learning some new tricks, and have fun without feeling confused or like you are putting out fires all time.

All you need really good sense of humor and good hard work ethic, the rest is just building off of good ideas.

You can relax, you can go as deep as you want to go. It's a great to feel good about yourself doing things better than than most of the girls/guys out there.

Now break a nail. I'll talk to you soon.

Chris N.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Appropriate goal setting is very difficult.

Two components which can be measured and could be attributed to an improvement in technique are punch velocity and punch force. Although these aren't indicators of your overall technical improvement.

Just to add to what Adam rightly posted. A good coach is invaluable, giving direct feedback on your performances and using video analysis to point out the things you're doing right.

Setting goals related to how well you do in competition would be the most reliable indicator of overall improvement, if you achieve them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feedback period is invaluable. A mirror can give you feedback, a focus mitt/hitting bag can give you you feedback, a sparring partner/trainer can give you feedback. What I'm getting it is that sometimes you're so caught up in what you're doing that you can't appreciate how you are doing it. It's hard to notice. The problem with trainers in all sports is that many of them can tell you in detail what you are doing right or wrong but they can't make you experience what it is to do it right. On the other hand a trainer can point you in the right direction so that you can experience it for yourself.

I think in you are making a mistake and you want to correct it, you don't just take it in mind because that alone isn't enough to make a difference. Look at yourself in the mirror throw some of your techniques and take in what it feels like to do it right. There you can experience it and with that feeling it will have a bigger impact on how you execute any movement more than just the thoughts alone.

Sparring is real test, you've felt the moves you know the counters and techniques by heart, now you can sharpen your powers of observation and timing of those moves. All the moves that you can bring to the table you have to experience it in training and perfect it in sparring.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both Adam and MD make good Points. Goals can give false hope without the imput of a good coach to anallize which is nature and what is nuture, a fine line which can bring a damageing line into the Psyhcodinamics.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to throw a good book out here and you can decide to take the next step.

"The Inner Game of Tennis" It really brings into awareness the process of learning, and why a lot of coaches can't get across. Now I see in a lot of sports not just boxing that the coach often at times a former pro sees the errors of the student and tells him all the corrections, in boxing it may sound like "You're too square... You need to pivot more off your foot... etc. etc. The Insight is great but it's only the compass, you have to experience what is right for yourself. It's not making mental notes, becuase in concentration and sparring those are often forgotten.

Habits must be formed in the experience of doing it, then you can more easily repeat those moves at will.

Proper goals do not misinform, on the contrary they put your intentions on the right way. If you can keep at a goal then you can gauge yourself from the feedback of others. SO anyways check out that book, it's eye opening to say the least.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anybody's interested I'll pw them a copy of one this author's books. His name is Timothy Gallwey by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris, you're not in Michigan by any chance are you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am, born and raised here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the comments everyone -

I do see the need for a sense of humour Chris! I guess if we couldn't all laugh at our mistakes sometimes we'd just cry!

I don't think my mind wanders a lot - I have the opposite problem really of getting stuck on details a bit too much. I guess the hope is that once I have key goals in mind and I know how to assess my progress, and what to do to progress - rather than just stewing on it - I'll be more efficient with my training time as I'll know what's most important.

I do have coaches and of course their opinion is extremely important to me but my gym is run by 4 coaches who all come in on different nights and have different ideas and teaching styles. Because of this I don't feel I can learn what each of them is trying to teach me without my own mental map of how it all fits together.

I can see your point about 'feeling' what you are trying to achieve. I can feel the difference between strong straight punches, hooks at head height and uppercuts but am still unable to 'feel' the difference between a strong and weak upper cut to the body.

I've gotta run to training now. I'll probably as you said try a few of your suggestions and see how it all works out.

Scrap - just out of curiosity what are some things in boxing you feel come under the nature heading which some people mistake for being a nurture thing - something you could alter by training?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    I am, born and raised here.
    where 'bouts?

Thread Information