Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Bowe Bit Overrated ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Is Bowe Bit Overrated ??

just thinking of this Bowe was good talent but i think he is a bit overrated i mean he beat Holyfield but he was 2 stone heavier than Holyfield and got gift decision against past it Tony Tubbs then he gets battered by Golota twice yes i know he was overweight but i still think it was Golota's jab that caused all problems so what do you guys think and before anyone says anything im not hater of Bowe im normally one defending him but i still think he is overrated what does everyone else think ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Bowe Bit Overrated ??

I don't think he's rated all that well. Most see him as an underachiever. When he was at his best, he is tough to beat. I really wish he fought Lennox in the Holyfield time frame. It would have been a cracker.

Bowe was definitely talented, but I don't think he's rated high enough to be overrated.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

El Kabong Guest

...no he just lost so much in his battles with Evander.

At that point he was one of the best heavyweights I have EVER seen fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    just thinking of this Bowe was good talent but i think he is a bit overrated i mean he beat Holyfield but he was 2 stone heavier than Holyfield and got gift decision against past it Tony Tubbs then he gets battered by Golota twice yes i know he was overweight but i still think it was Golota's jab that caused all problems so what do you guys think and before anyone says anything im not hater of Bowe im normally one defending him but i still think he is overrated what does everyone else think ??
    If Bowe would have stayed in shape he would have ruled the HW division for along time...but he is lazy...so I would say he was a bit overrated because of his lack of disipline not ability.
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

I have to agree...IMO he left it all in the ring with those 3 fights....Then again at that time Holyfield was a diffrent kind of machine...Bowe had the potential to be a highly reguarded HW as far as history goes but he fell a bit short...When he was on his game though Bowe was damn impressive...
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

I have to agree...IMO he left it all in the ring with those 3 fights....Then again at that time Holyfield was a diffrent kind of machine...Bowe had the potential to be a highly reguarded HW as far as history goes but he fell a bit short...When he was on his game though Bowe was damn impressive...
    oh yes i totally agree only hw at that time who i could of seen Bowe losing to is probably Lewis and possibly Ike but i always think people with good jabs would give Bowe trouble because remember Tony Tubbs fight and that was when Bowe was in his prime and he did get gift decision in that fight and trouble he had with Golota's jab even though Bowe was over weight i still feel Golota would give Bowe trouble with his jab at any point in his career good talent for sure who could of achieved more but not quite as good as some people say imo

El Kabong Guest

Bowe's big problem with Golota was that no one knew how to beat Andrew at that time.

Had Bowe had the blue print of jumping on Golota early then he would have disposed of him easily as would MANY lesser fighters.

Riddick had trouble with weight between fights and really did leave it all in the ring vs Holyfield....it's amazing Evander is still boxing now considering the beatings he took then!

I think Ibeabuchi is overrated. Yes he beat Chris Byrd and David Tua but those guys weren't on the same level as Bowe, Lewis, or Holyfield.....those guys I think would have beat Ike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah the Bowe in the Holyfield fights was anything but overrated. He was special, but fucked it all up for himself by being lazy. I see that Bowe uding Lewis and for the record anyone who was about at that particular time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bowe was a big strong tough fighter with quick handspeed inside and out and he was a nice guy a family man

if anything he could have made a better name and build a bigger legacy for himself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i didn't know bowe was overated that how. this is the first bowe topic i've seen in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear bull
    bowe was a big strong tough fighter with quick handspeed inside and out and he was a nice guy a family man

if anything he could have made a better name and build a bigger legacy for himself

I don't know about the nice guy family man angle...wans't he arrested for false inprisonment of his wife??
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me Bowe was an awesome example of a what a great HW should be when he beat Holy. Bowe obviously just didn't have the focus, heart, determination and desire for boxing. I think it is also important to point out that the effects of fighting caught up with Bowe much faster than other fighters. He started to show symptoms of being punch drunk pretty quickly. Holding the losses to Golota against an overweight Bowe as exposing him as second teir isn't really fair. Golota himself is a very talented HW but just doesn't have the emotional or mental makeup to be a boxer when the fight gets tough. Bowe isn't going to make anyone's top ten list due to the way his career spiraled out of control, but the fighter that beat Evander for the belt would have won more than he lost against anyone's top ten.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    To me Bowe was an awesome example of a what a great HW should be when he beat Holy. Bowe obviously just didn't have the focus, heart, determination and desire for boxing. I think it is also important to point out that the effects of fighting caught up with Bowe much faster than other fighters. He started to show symptoms of being punch drunk pretty quickly. Holding the losses to Golota against an overweight Bowe as exposing him as second teir isn't really fair. Golota himself is a very talented HW but just doesn't have the emotional or mental makeup to be a boxer when the fight gets tough. Bowe isn't going to make anyone's top ten list due to the way his career spiraled out of control, but the fighter that beat Evander for the belt would have won more than he lost against anyone's top ten.
    See that's what i mean i've always said Bowe is good talent but not as good as some people say i mean he beat Holyfield in first fight but Holyfield used very bad tactic against Bowe alot bigger and stronger and was 2 stone heavier and it was just matter of time before Bowe's extra strength would take over and in rematch he struggled with Holyfield's stick and move tactic and in 3rd fight well Holyfield looked like he was going to have heart attack after 3rd round and Bowe was well fat i still think he would struggle against someone with good movement and good jab as i say again he got gift decision against shot Tony Tubbs in which alot of people think he lost and that was due to Bowe struggling to land anything on Tubbs Bowe had good inside work for big man and surprising stamina im not trying to take anything away from Bowe but i think a boxer with good jab would beat Bowe just like Golota and i think Bowe would of struggled against Golota even in his prime

i do not think Bowe would beat these guy's

Prime Holmes
    Prime Ali
    Prime Lewis

these are some others who i think would have good shot at Bowe

Prime Witherspoon would have good shot he had good jab
    Prime Vitali
    Prime Foreman
    Prime Tony Tucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Riddick Bowe was underrated, if anything and rightly so. He was a classic underachiever like Buster Douglas. A guy with tons of ability who could compete with the elites, but was too difficult to motivate. If the same Bowe who fought Holyfield had shown up to fight Golota, the Pol would have been cleared out inside of 3 rounds.
    Oops

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    See that's what i mean i've always said Bowe is good talent but not as good as some people say i mean he beat Holyfield in first fight but Holyfield used very bad tactic against Bowe alot bigger and stronger and was 2 stone heavier and it was just matter of time before Bowe's extra strength would take over and in rematch he struggled with Holyfield's stick and move tactic and in 3rd fight well Holyfield looked like he was going to have heart attack after 3rd round and Bowe was well fat i still think he would struggle against someone with good movement and good jab as i say again he got gift decision against shot Tony Tubbs in which alot of people think he lost and that was due to Bowe struggling to land anything on Tubbs Bowe had good inside work for big man and surprising stamina im not trying to take anything away from Bowe but i think a boxer with good jab would beat Bowe just like Golota and i think Bowe would of struggled against Golota even in his prime

i do not think Bowe would beat these guy's

Prime Holmes
    Prime Ali
    Prime Lewis

these are some others who i think would have good shot at Bowe

Prime Witherspoon would have good shot he had good jab
    Prime Vitali
    Prime Foreman
    Prime Tony Tucker
    I personally would pick a Prime Bowe over a Prime Lewis and saying he'd lose to Ali and Holmes isn't bad company. Every HW has had a couple of gifts in their career. So yes the Tubbs decsision was dubious but no more so than Lewis's victory over Mercer.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information