Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honestly guys, who really cares about Women's boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Honestly guys, who really cares about Women's boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    I am a small female fighter and to be honest I have to admit a lot of female fighters are not technically brilliant - but that goes along with the number of fights they've had. There are fewer female fighter than male so getting up a decent amount of fighting experience can take some time.

I don't know if this goes for everyone but sometimes you can demonstrate a certain of skill in sparring and in your club but you still need practice in a competition situation to know how to put your best on display. It's too easy to get psyched out by the fact a whole heap of strangers are watching you. Beginner blokes can look awful too.

Also I like watching smaller fighters coz they're fast and they are explosive when they know what they are doing. I have less interest in watching any overweight super heavy attempt to heave his fat rolls round the ring throwing a pretty small number of punches to KO another seriously overweight, less fit guy.

Many guys don't like watching girls fight and that's fine. However, there is a market for it though so the very occasional time it happens it probably happens because it makes economic sense for the promoters. The money they make might partially go towards getting male fighters you would like to watch in for the next big show.

Also guys often forget a lot of women learn a sport like boxing because they want a sport which will also improve their self defence skills. You could go to some Micky Mouse seminar for a few hours but if you get attacked 6 months down the track are you really going to remember anything you were shown or will you just worsen your own situation because you haven't been trained enough for your responses to be automatic and as powerful as they need to be.

A lot of women who have had bad experiences might be terrified to walk down the street and to challenge themselves competitively in a sport like boxing/kickboxing/judo might be what they need to gradually get their confidence back. That's good for you guys especially if you think some are perve worthy otherwise they'd stay holed up in their houses and never venture out to flirt with you!
    very nice post, you clearly feel very strongly both about fighting and the fact that you get why men tend to steer away from women's boxing. I think most men finding it out of their comfort zone is their issue (myself included ) and I think we have no one else to blame for that other than our own perceptions, or more likely social/moral influences.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a small female fighter and to be honest I have to admit a lot of female fighters are not technically brilliant - but that goes along with the number of fights they've had. There are fewer female fighter than male so getting up a decent amount of fighting experience can take some time.

I don't know if this goes for everyone but sometimes you can demonstrate a certain of skill in sparring and in your club but you still need practice in a competition situation to know how to put your best on display. It's too easy to get psyched out by the fact a whole heap of strangers are watching you. Beginner blokes can look awful too.

Also I like watching smaller fighters coz they're fast and they are explosive when they know what they are doing. I have less interest in watching any overweight super heavy attempt to heave his fat rolls round the ring throwing a pretty small number of punches to KO another seriously overweight, less fit guy.

Many guys don't like watching girls fight and that's fine. However, there is a market for it though so the very occasional time it happens it probably happens because it makes economic sense for the promoters. The money they make might partially go towards getting male fighters you would like to watch in for the next big show.

Also guys often forget a lot of women learn a sport like boxing because they want a sport which will also improve their self defence skills. You could go to some Micky Mouse seminar for a few hours but if you get attacked 6 months down the track are you really going to remember anything you were shown or will you just worsen your own situation because you haven't been trained enough for your responses to be automatic and as powerful as they need to be.

A lot of women who have had bad experiences might be terrified to walk down the street and to challenge themselves competitively in a sport like boxing/kickboxing/judo might be what they need to gradually get their confidence back. That's good for you guys especially if you think some are perve worthy otherwise they'd stay holed up in their houses and never venture out to flirt with you!
    Great post Sharla heres #21 on me....
    Plus you could probably beat more then half of the guys here in a boxing match..... (Including me )

Did you see the fight?
    Wow!! it was a good one and one of the better fights ESPN has had this year..... IMO....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Yoitsdan + Mick,

I know guys like you mean well really and most of the time it's as you say social/ moral influences which make it difficult for you to watch women being hit. It's the same moral influences that serve to protect women in a lot of cases so it's not something I can really complain too much about.

I can see that they way a lot of guys are brought up it's hard to differentiate between the average woman being bashed in what should be a safe situation and two women who have trained to test themselves in the ring against another opponent the same gender knowing full well the risks involved.

I haven't seen the fight yet but I intend to watch it if I get hold of the video off of one of my friends.

And when I say I'm a small fighter I mean very small so thanks for the complement Mick but I think it's important to be realistic about the fact I'm a midget!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Womens boxing is a load of crap
    I remember Christy Martin making more for fighting a 6 fight novice than THE Great Ricardo Lopez did for defending his title !!! wot a load of crap to sum up lets see boxing promotions in Vagas with only women on the card and see how much interest there is .
    Sell out ? i dont think so it is riding on the crest of a wave which is mens boxing end of story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whenever anything begins it's a load of Crap. Women's boxing has a long way to go and will take many, many, many years to reach a higher level but the same could be said about so many things like for example medicinal science.

You may never benefit from watching a female fight the way you might from taking antibiotics but I'm glad it exists and sorry to tell you this Hindley the world aint just about you!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    It's getting better...problem is that they don't focus enough on the ones that can actually fight but the ones who generate cash....

EG-Leila Ali can't fight for beans...but her name is a draw and they give her the most horrible opp out there...Yet Ann Wolf can fight but does not get half the attention....

Christy Martin was the most unskilled thing going and bled like a stuck pig if her nose was tapped....but she got all the attention

Yet at the same time Lucia Rijker was fighting and her coverage was minimal....Lucia had great skills and could hit and take a shot...

a little more focus on the ones that have actual skills and a little less on who is cute then the division would be fun to watch
    I DISAGREE WITH THAT, SORRY.... BUT I THINK IMO ITS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, ALI HAS GOT A TONNE OF SKILL (FOR A CHICK) AND WOLFE NOT MUCH SKILL THERE AT ALL, JUST A BRALLER NOT A BOXER......ALI WILL BOX HER EARS OFF.

....BUT NO I DONT LIKE NOR FOLLOW WOMENS BOXING
    &quot;To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragety&quot; -Cus D&#039;amato-<br /><br />&quot;I pitty the fool&quot;-clubber lang-<br /><br />&quot;My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It&#039;s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whenever anything begins it's a load of Crap. Women's boxing has a long way to go and will take many, many, many years to reach a higher level but the same could be said about so many things like for example medicinal science.

You may never benefit from watching a female fight the way you might from taking antibiotics but I'm glad it exists and sorry to tell you this Hindley the world aint just about you!
    Thats just my opinion i think its a load of crap as i said and school boy none paid boxers are more skillful ,
    i respect your view , this is just my view, period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it makes you feel any better I don't think female boxers are necessarily paid more than male boxers. A girl in my club went to the worlds (won bronze) and paid her own ticket to get there while all the guys were sponsored because the Australian Institute of Sport only sponsors Olympic sports and while mens boxing is an Olympic sport women's isn't.

Still I think the pay versus skill discrepancy is a boxing wide thing you are annoyed about isn't it? Some guys are paid more than they are worth just as some women might be?

Also some guys here seem to have pretty firm opinions about which female boxers are good and which aren't considering they apparently don't ever watch them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it makes you feel any better I don't think female boxers are necessarily paid more than male boxers. A girl in my club went to the worlds (won bronze) and paid her own ticket to get there while all the guys were sponsored because the Australian Institute of Sport only sponsors Olympic sports and while mens boxing is an Olympic sport women's isn't.

Still I think the pay versus skill discrepancy is a boxing wide thing you are annoyed about isn't it? Some guys are paid more than they are worth just as some women might be?

Also some guys here seem to have pretty firm opinions about which female boxers are good and which aren't considering they apparently don't ever watch them
    I didnt say female boxer were paid more , i said i remember Christy Martin making more than Ricardo Lopez for a fight ! read wot i write , this is a fact not my opinion she really did make more for a fight than a great fighter like Lopez now that is in anybodies book a load of crap!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK so if you're just talking about her that's not a reason to be against all women's boxing - or even women's boxing itself but just the management of that particular bout. Or just the lack of the promotion of some of the top guys - that a lot of them deserve more. I agree a world title fighter should get more money and the pay cheque of a fighter should be more closely linked to their level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look if my opinion offends anyone then im sorry
    I just have now interest in womens boxing but if they wanna do it then thats fine ,
    i just wont watch it and you guys can enjoy it if u like it ok
    Really ladies no offence ment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved the fight last night, but I don't think Mary Jo would beat Ali, going up another weight class would be too much

Thread Information