Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Froch to WBO: do the right thing

Froch to WBO: do the right thing

Carl Froch has asked World Boxing Organisation president Francisco Valcarcel to do the right thing and match him in a final eliminator against Russia’s Dennis Inkin for their Championship, currently held by his long-term rival Joe Calzaghe.

Welshman Calzaghe, 35, has held the WBO title for ten years but his last mandatory defence, a 12 round domination of American Jeff Lacy, was over a year ago.

Undefeated Froch, 29, notched up his 21st victim with a devastating two-round demolition job on Russian Sergey Tatevosyan in his home city of Nottingham just over a week ago and is now ready to battle the world’s best.

The British and Commonwealth champion, who is promoted by Mick Hennessy, hopes to face Calzaghe before he retires and believes it can happen later this year if the final eliminator is confirmed.

Froch is ranked third by the WBO, but is set to move up at least one berth. Current #2 Lucian Bute was taken the distance last time out by Tatevosyan and has opted to contest an eliminator for an alternative championship.

Inkin is still currently ranked above him, but the emphatic nature of his win over Sergey Tatevosyan should see him leapfrog into the top spot. Froch already had the far stronger record.

“The WBO needs to find a suitable, mandatory challenger for Calzaghe,” said Froch. “At the moment I feel he is cashing in on easy money fights, like this one against Manfredo. He’s not a credible challenger. I would blitz him in a round.”

“Fighting me could potentially be the biggest fight in British Boxing history. If Joe was forced to take it, I think he would do.”

“If I became his mandatory contender, it would cut out all the usual nonsense. Options wouldn’t get in the way of the fight. This fight has the potential to smash all British purse bid records and whoever wins, it would be a massive affair.”

“If my promoter Mick Hennessy won, the fight would most probably take place at the Nottingham Forest ground. If Calzaghe’s people won, they may use the Millennium Stadium.”

“Joe would have nowhere to hide. If he didn’t go through with the fight everyone would know why. If we got into that position and he somehow managed to wriggle out of it, I would personally hand him the four feathers.”

“That is why I think this fight can happen. The timing is perfect as well. By the time the purse bids have been called for a final eliminator and I have actually knocked Inkin out, Calzaghe will be due his next mandatory in September.”

Froch continued: “The only way for the WBO to find a suitable mandatory fairly, is to take their number one and number two and make that final eliminator. I would like President Valcarcel to do the right thing. I’ve heard he is over for the Calzaghe fight later this week, perhaps the British press can ask him personally?

“Although the WBO mandatory is due first, I don’t see any reason why the fight couldn’t be a final eliminator for the WBC title as well. The way the ratings are now, I am about to become their number one and Inkin their number two.”

“That way, if Calzaghe and Kessler did unify, things would tie in nicely. We would have the mandatory for both titles.”

“Me versus Inkin would be a big fight in itself and build the Calzaghe fight even more. Inkin is 29-0 and I’m 21-0, we are both big punchers and everything would be on the line.”

“We have got amateur history as well. He beat me on points but I put him on the seat of his pants and only the final bell saved him. I will do the job properly this time.”

“My promoter has asked the WBO for this fight a few times. He has called for a final eliminator, but the WBO seem to be dragging their heels? If I was the President of a governing body, I would want to find the very best to challenge my champion. It doesn’t really make sense to me.”

“Calzaghe needs a proper test. He is a good fighter, but I believe I’m exceptional and there is no one out there he should be fighting except for me.”

“There will be more demand for that fight now I’ve annihilated a world-class opponent in Tatevosyan. Once I win a world title final eliminator, Joe will have no choice but to put up or shut up. Fight me or vacate the belt.”

“I’ve knocked out my last five opponents. People are now realising that I don’t just talk the talk, but walk the walk. Other fighters swerve and go round obstacles, but I’m ready and the correct thing for the WBO to do would be to grant me a final eliminator this summer.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Froch to WBO: do the right thing

Froch is a big danger in the division! He can knock you out with 1 punch and he is super confident that he will ko you.Not sure on his defence tho think Calzaghe can pick him apart with his combinations good fight if it happens.Calzaghe needs to fight Kessler to see who is the main man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you attack, you leave yourself open for the counter.

Froch has a great beard and a devastating counter-attack.

Wheras Joe hasn't got 1 punch power and has been vulnerable to the counter.

It would be a small cat against a huge mouse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if theres any possibility of this fight coming together Calzaghe would be better off to make it as soon as possible because right now I say Calzaghe outboxes Froch easily for 12 rounds but at his age theres no telling when Joe's gonna start getting slow and as soon as he loses his high work rate hes in trouble. If Froch were to get this opportunity at the right time he could land the upset.

Thread Information