Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oscars' Level of Opposition far better than PBF'S

Oscar has fought a better level including the likes of Trinidad, Mosley, Vargas, Mayorga, Chavez, Quartey, Camacho, Jesse James Leja, Genaro Hernandez, Rafael Ruelas, Troy Dorsey, Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Pernell Whitaker and many other tough fighters. A won lost analysis of his opponents would be astounding as many of them came in with undefeated records.

Floyd, on the other hand, has not fought anywhere near that level. Aside from two with Jose Louis Castillo, his toughest were with Diego Corrales, Baldimir and Judah. He did fight Vargas and Chavez, but they were Gregorio Vargas and Jesus Chavez.

Common Opponents: Arturo Gatti and Genaro Hernandez, who were dominated by both.

Big edge to Oscar here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscars' Level of Opposition far better than PBF'S

Oscar De La Hoya might have the best resume of this era...And he has never lost to anyone but the P4P best in the world...If he retired tommorow he would be an all time great
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I mean that's a given. Just 11 fights in, De La Hoya was fighting Bredahl headlining the Olympic Auditorium 11 fights in and just 16 months after turning pro. Then Paez next. I mean there might not be a more successful fighter in the history of boxing who was brought up so damn early. Couple that with him being 5 years older and he's going to have twice the resume of Floyd. It's a given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think oscar will give it to floyd come may 5th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll be a cup's throw from the ring...I'll let you know.

Win, lose, or draw...it aint at all bad for ole' Wacko.

I favor them both in my "Wacko's All Time Top 5 Favorites".
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    Oscar has fought a better level including the likes of Trinidad, Mosley, Vargas, Mayorga, Chavez, Quartey, Camacho, Jesse James Leja, Genaro Hernandez, Rafael Ruelas, Troy Dorsey, Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Pernell Whitaker and many other tough fighters. A won lost analysis of his opponents would be astounding as many of them came in with undefeated records.

Floyd, on the other hand, has not fought anywhere near that level. Aside from two with Jose Louis Castillo, his toughest were with Diego Corrales, Baldimir and Judah. He did fight Vargas and Chavez, but they were Gregorio Vargas and Jesus Chavez.

Common Opponents: Arturo Gatti and Genaro Hernandez, who were dominated by both.

Big edge to Oscar here.
    I agree, I don't think anyone can argue the fact that ODLH has faced the better opposition....

The list that you made of ODLH (I'm not sure if you listed those cause you think those are his toughest opposition OR you listed them cause those names came to your mind)
    Anyway!! I would like to add John John Molina which also happens to be one ODLH best fight I mean the rugged and more experienced Molina made ODLH stand there and trade and ODLH responded.....

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

of course odlh's fought better oppostion,that cant be debated.not sure it will make too much difference on this fight though
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull

Big edge to Oscar here.
    Ok time for some KillerSheep's nerd stats

ODLH Opposition
    1,592 combined fights.
    1,444 Wins (90.7%)
    105 Losses (6.5%)
    43 Draws (2.8%)

PBF Opposition
    1,138 combined fights
    930 Wins (81.7%)
    174 Losses (15.6%)
    43 Draws (3.7%)

I agree with ryanman89 though, I don't think this has much bearing on cinco de mayo.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar Dela Hoya has foughten the best competition of any fighter in the history of boxing, of course he wins this by a landslide. I mean who fights Chavez twice, Whitaker, Hopkins, Trinidad, Vargas, Camacho, and the list goes on forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oscar does have the better level of oppenent, but he didn't win all of them.

as for pbf he has fought ok oppenents but not great and he has beat all of them.

bottom line neither one is a all time great.

goldenboy is a alltime great by popularity not dominance in any division.

pbf is well just pbf.

did i just ruin the post? sorry to spoil the fun hehe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGod
    oscar does have the better level of oppenent, but he didn't win all of them.

as for pbf he has fought ok oppenents but not great and he has beat all of them.

bottom line neither one is a all time great.

goldenboy is a alltime great by popularity not dominance in any division.

pbf is well just pbf.

did i just ruin the post? sorry to spoil the fun hehe
    i agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what? Before they fought, Arturro Gatti had a better resume too.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Oscar De La Hoya might have the best resume of this era...And he has never lost to anyone but the P4P best in the world...If he retired tommorow he would be an all time great
    Hall of Famer? Absolutely. All time great? That depends on what you think an all time great is. IMO Hall of Famer and all time great are not exactly the same, as only the best of the best can be considered all time greats(of course this is just my opinion). In terms of judging greatness, top opposition is not what you measure. You measure SUCCESS against top opposition, and in that regard, Oscar was far more successful at the lower weights than he was at the higher weights. I'm not even counting middle because I know that was too high for him, but IMO he lost to Whitaker, I thought he outpointed Trinidad by the slightest of margins but deserved to lose anyhow for the running, lost twice to Shane (regardless of what you think of the rematch), and had a great victory against Quartey. The Vargas win means next to nothing, as Fernando does not qualify for that 'top opposition' criteria. If he would have remained below welterweight he'd be a legend, but everything above 140, for the 'Level of Opposition' this post thread title is mentioning, Oscar is batting well below .500. I don't see any way that somehow gives him an advantage over Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    So what? Before they fought, Arturro Gatti had a better resume too.
    Like hell he did. Remember Ivan Robinson and Angel Manfredy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3000
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Hall of Famer? Absolutely. All time great? That depends on what you think an all time great is. IMO Hall of Famer and all time great are not exactly the same, as only the best of the best can be considered all time greats(of course this is just my opinion). In terms of judging greatness, top opposition is not what you measure. You measure SUCCESS against top opposition, and in that regard, Oscar was far more successful at the lower weights than he was at the higher weights. I'm not even counting middle because I know that was too high for him, but IMO he lost to Whitaker, I thought he outpointed Trinidad by the slightest of margins but deserved to lose anyhow for the running, lost twice to Shane (regardless of what you think of the rematch), and had a great victory against Quartey. The Vargas win means next to nothing, as Fernando does not qualify for that 'top opposition' criteria. If he would have remained below welterweight he'd be a legend, but everything above 140, for the 'Level of Opposition' this post thread title is mentioning, Oscar is batting well below .500. I don't see any way that somehow gives him an advantage over Floyd.
    If he beats PBF and then decides to fight one more time and win, I think he may get some serious consideration as an all time great. As far as Tito, he backpedaled sure as hell, but Tito failed to press the action. Neither one came out smelling like a rose in that bore snore. I believe he split wit Sugar Shane and beat Ike clearly. In fcat an argument could bve made that the fight could have been stopped at one point. Hopkins is the only one to really "beat" him badly. Bottom line: Hall of Fame a slam dunk; all time great a stretch..........

Thread Information