Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Art of Shadowboxing

The Art of Shadowboxing

Shadowboxing has been a staple in the regimen of many generations of boxers. Through its practice, fighters can gain awareness of themselves, how they are seen, and perfect the movements that are necessary in winning a fight. It is from this insight that fighters can better prepare themselves for their opponents by having a concrete idea of what to do and why. Of course there are stages of expertise, properly learning techniques and concepts, practicing/applying them, and at last a greater awareness which allows for freedom of creativity and higher self control.

Nowadays there are many boxers that are stuck on square one. To a lot of them, shadowboxing is just punching practice or a warm up. Many just look at the clock and count a couple rounds while senselessly moving around and punching. A lot of people hinder their own development because they are not paying attention to what they are doing, and in effect there’s no reasoning behind what they are doing. Poor self-awareness in training can lead to many bad habits. When it comes to a fight they’re not fully aware of what’s going on, they’ll make a lot of mistakes unknowingly and therefore can be manipulated by a sharper opponent.

To become adept in boxing calls for reasoning behind what you’re doing and to become more self-aware of what you’re doing. It’s just like how the famous Greek axiom goes, “Know Thyself.” To succeed in this competitive sport you must, and I’ll even quote saddoboxing’s Andre Linnell on this one, “Study why you do certain things until you know why you’re doing them.”

Next up I’ll be covering a boxer’s stages of development when it comes to training and shadow boxing in particular.

When the beginner learns how to box, they’ll usually start off by properly learning the fundamentals, some concepts and the basic movement that they’ll need to know. In assuming a proper fighting stance, throwing different punches in coordination of the feet, proper footwork, and defense in blocking/parrying/avoiding punches makes up the groundwork for the up and coming boxer. It should also be noted that at this stage it is especially important to develop awareness for posture and movement. This can be applied to all modes of training. A lot of time should be dedicated to good technique, mistakes and tendencies should be corrected before the boxer moves onto to more advanced techniques and concepts.

Next is where shadow boxing gets its name from. It all comes down to the concept of fighting an imaginary opponent. Although this kind of opponent depends entirely on your imagination it should be treated with the same amount of respect that you would give a real life opponent. Everything should be deliberate; every move should be with reasons determined. As the boxer progresses they should begin to see how their actions affect how their opponents react. This is where it really begins. Knowing yourself and how your opponent sees you is important in order to control what your opponent does, which in itself is about control of the fight. Feinting and drawing must be developed. Things that are practiced in shadowboxing can be fine-tuned in sparring, and applied to the hitting bags as well.

Ultimately every facet of boxing is brought into play and it’s up to the clever boxer to put it all together. At this point you’ve learned how to box against yourself as you are able to see yourself through the eyes of an opponent. You can absorb the styles and tactics of other fighters and visualize fighting them as real as you can imagine them. In your shadow boxing you are fight any fighter in history; however they are only as real as what you put into them. This is the best way to go over different situations in your mind, so that when you’re in the ring with a smart fighter that’s trying to take your head off you have a better chance of quickly thinking your out of the dilemma.

Wouldn't you want to be the fighter that is holding most of the cards. You would be controling their options, forcing their hand, setting them up and make them do things that are more advantageous to you. As said before, you should always do things with a reason behind them, you weigh the advantages/disadvantages of the situation and you put your opponent in situations that lead to the situations that you can win. Based on how your opponent reacts to your actions and vice-versa you can begin to picture what your opponent’s intentions are. This is about as close to mind reading/mind control as a fighter can get.

Anyways related to what I’m talking about is a really good analogy by boxing expert Thomas Tabin:

“Imagine someone driving a car down a road with many turns and curves. In order for the driver to successfully drive down the road he must factor in all the turns and curves of the road into his mind as he is driving. That is, he sees the turns and curves and interprets them in his mind. With this information he can then decide just how much he ought to turn the steering wheel and just how much acceleration is necessary to successfully navigate the nuances of the road. Therefore, the road dictates what the driver does. The way that it turns, the way that it curves: all things the driver is literally forced to react to.

A good boxer is like a good driver. He interprets the external information he is receiving from his opponent in the way that a driver interprets the external information of a road with many turns and curves. He uses this information to determine how to react - fighting his opponent as though he were negotiating the nuances of a road.

But a truly great boxer; he is more like a road. He is the external information outside of his opponent. He is the information his opponent interprets and reacts to. Understanding this, he fights in a manner as though he were a road with a mind of its own; making the person driving down it move in the way he wants when, where, and how.”

By now you should know by now that shadowboxing is nothing about practicing of random sequences of punches and moving haphazardly, it’s about being deliberate in your actions and being consciously aware of what’s going on.

Now I’m going to get into some of the good stuff, new ways you can conduct the way you shadowbox, and an excellent excerpt from the words of a great champion.

Since shadowboxing has a lot to do with awareness to yourself it’s a good idea to use a mirror to practice in front of. Besides making sure you aren’t making any mistakes or telegraphing your real intentions, you can train your eyes to be very observant. Always keep track of what your opponent would be seeing, and learn how to control them by what you allow them to see.

Study the different shifts/slights. Head movement is affected by even the most minor shifts. These shifts can inch you into range, or a better angle of attack, it can contribute to your power by getting you set for a punch, or can help you avoid a punch. On the flipside if you are ignorant to these shifts you may unknowingly give your opponent the advantage by allowing them to get into position, or putting you in a bad position.

A lot of knowledge can be derived from the close observation of these shifts. Study the outcomes, the advantages and disadvantages of the different shifts. Become aware of effects of the ankle twists, shoulder drops, bringing the feet square, the drop-shift, and other maneuvers. Some moves are preliminary and can be caught on early. Everything stems from your big toe, and where ever your head goes your feet goes to some extent. When you bend your knees your head follows. Become aware of your opponent’s intent through their movement, and more importantly what they are trying to strategically accomplish.

While shifting with an opponent you need to be aware of their potential arm, even when you’re avoiding their lead. Become aware of the timing, circumstances and situations required that take advantage of these different shifts/slights. You can hone your powers of observation by paying close attention to your movements in front of a mirror, by intently watching fights/sparring anytime when you have the chance, and by focusing on what you’re doing infront . You’ll become more aware and know how to exercise caution, how to set up your opponent while they’re shifting, or put yourself into a better position to capitalize on these opening, and all the while keeping control over your advantages.

You can really make progress by practicing this while shadowboxing in a mirror, and try to apply it in sparring. It’s both serious physical and mental exercise to gain insight about yourself, much of boxing’s nuances and prepare for a varierty of situations.

Now everything can be broken down, simplified and approached scientifically…
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    When shadowboxing, don't forget the other guy. By that I mean keeping track of what your opponent would be seeing while you are punching away, or what you would be seeing were your opponent punching at you. The mirror is a great tool. Also what do you do to get in place to throw combinations- a feint, a slip or a parry? Is he punching in the middle of your sequences? These are the things that count. If at all possible look up a book called In This Corner by Peter Heller I think (help, somebody?) and read what Tommy Loughran has to say about training in general and shadow boxing in particular.
    And here’s what the Tommy Loughran had to say:

"I think that nobody has ever put in the time and effort and practicing and studying boxing, doing different things like I did. I was so meticulous about everything that I did insofar as my training was concerned, my movements, my balance, my sense of coordination, and my footwork was tied in with all the movements. Of course, I was very fortunate too in having a manager who had been a fighter himself. Joe Smith had 300 fights and he didn't have a mark on him. Very good looking.
    I worked in the basement of my home. I had a little gym fixed up there and I had mirror and I studied myself in those mirrors, punching the bag, skip rope, shadowbox, and I studied my movements in these mirrors in such a way that I knew exactly appeared to every fellow that I was boxing. And I would set him up for certain punches that he'd be taking at me. See, he didn't know how he looked to me. All he saw was me. But I saw what he saw. I had learned this from studying it in the mirror. I could sucker a fellow into almost anything. The thing can be practiced scientifically and with a lot of skill, or it can be brutal, smashing thing that would be pleasing for a crowd but too brutal for any class, refined..."

Great Stuff! That kind of understanding comes from a very intent approach when it comes to training. A greater awareness of yourself and in that you can really become creative. I mentioned that Tommy Loughran was self-trained, and it was his meticulous nature to break down how things work and understand how to apply his new found knowledge which in effect made him an amazing fighter. Anyone can do this, it's just a question of putting things together and how far you’re willing to take it.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Art of Shadowboxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a good read Chris, made my day. cc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

place holder
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

iffraff Guest

Excellent post. I had posted a question on another forum stating that I found shadow boxing boring and unhelpful and was I doing something wrong but did not get much response. Your post has given me plenty to think about and work on. Thank you.
    Perhaps this should be made sticky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

great stuff.

Imagery is the key to everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Going through this post of mine I saw a lot of errors and a lot of nonsense that I just didn't like, so I decided to go back and revise it.

I may add more to it and and edit it later on. If anybody's interested I'll write more things that you can work on in shadow boxing, and I might make a topic on how to shadow box for beginners.

Right now I'm more interested in writing an article about the art of the speed bag that will shed more light to this often overlooked training aid. Also something about applications of the heavybag, the double end bag, and some of my own training ideas that I'd like to share with you all. If you have any questions in particular I'll try to answer them on the board, or you contact me by pm/email.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question, does anybody use a partner when shadow Boxing. I find it unbeleiveable that this technique is never mentioned, and its a lot of fun. I learned so much using it with great fighters never got hurt once, learned so much.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've practiced different techniques with a partner, but I haven't really taken it to the extent of that of shadow boxing. I'd think that controlled sparring would be better, otherwise I don't see how you can work on timing and proper distance. Scrap, do you have any ideas on how to go about shadow boxing with a partner?

You've mentioned this before. Here's what you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Another little game you can have a lot of fun with,You with a partner. Put a rope across the Ring below ear hight, stand facing each other. Moving along the rope shadowboxing each other,try kidding each other to try and get the opposite side of the rope from your partner. Two evenly matched fighters can learn the mechanics of movement,distance,levels and laterel movement, take it in turnto try and bluff each other.Good fun ,gets you fit
    A little game we play could help. Get a line acrossthe ring thick elastic preferd, get a partner about the same size on the same side as yourself then take it in turns trying to get the other side of the line from where your partner is by feinting by using your feet with head movement to con the other guy into moving the wrong way its a lot of fun and works

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went of mirrors some time back very restritive unless youre fighting a southpaw, even if you are still restrictive against opposite movement and is one dimentionable you are looking at the past as regards motion youve thought of it before doing. Better of with your eyes shut and feel what youre doing it will make the senses which give you speed and motion more responsive to your aims. Two people shadow boxing together even with half a brain will pick up more learning movement and shifts or cons by doing this than looking in a mirror and posing theres to many distractions going on in there head been there done it. The thing is when people play at something theres improvement, call it work it restricfs them, you can be serious even when playing.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You make a good point Scrap. I never looked at it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question, does anybody use a partner when shadow Boxing. I find it unbeleiveable that this technique is never mentioned, and its a lot of fun. I learned so much using it with great fighters never got hurt once, learned so much.
    Scrap yes I was going to make a topic about it someday. Its incredibly useful. In particular learning how to get the feel of when punches get thrown at you and how to respond with fists coming at you. Its great because you get the feel of a real person's body: not a bag, not the mitts, not an imagined person but a real person. Practice all the counters nice and slow to get the feel of how the counter must be thrown. Get a feel for distance and each person's unique individual reach in relation to your own. Get a sense of knowing the visual cues of a person getting ready to punch and when he isnt. Its great.

going a little off topic its in keeping with what I think training for boxing should be all about: keeping your opponent in mind with everything bag, shadowboxing etc. You never do anything in boxing by yourself, its always in response to what an opponent is doing to you and what you are doing with an opponent. Your opponent is just as much a part of you as you are -- he should then always be with you in training in some way or another. It goes against everything anyone ever said about boxing but I think that boxing shouldn't be viewed as a thing where its me vs you. It makes it real nasty and mean spirited and it doesnt have to be. Your opponent shouldnt be seen as the enemy but as your other half. he works off of you and you work off of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In that case it ought to be called 'shadow sparring.' Thinking about it now for the last couple of days I've come believe that you can work on just about anything, + nothing beats getting feedback from an opponent just like what you'd get out of sparring without all the hard knocks that comes with it.

I think it would be great to work on specific things, but I think that eventually when both of the trainees have gotten to the point where they know how to handle a great many different situations then 'shadow sparring' should almost become like 'free sparring.' I don't mean that it be uncontrolled, it would become more like a real fight in the sense that each fighter would try to better their opponent by adopting the right tactic at the right time. You can still spend additional time fine-tuning new techniques, but like Thomas said you'd be working off of your opponent and vice-versa.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good arty

Thread Information