Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chris Byrd

Was anyone else a big fan of this guys?

I may be whistling in the dark here, but I always loved watching him fight. I know he was about as far from an exciting 1-punch KO artist as you could get in the HW division, but I always though his work in the ring was masterful and always a pleasure to watch. You've got to have all the respect in the world for a guy just barely over 200lbs competing and doing so well in a "big man's" division. Does anyone think that he was underrated, or didn't get the credit he deserved due to his crowd-unfriendly style?

I also though he seemed like a real gentleman for the most part. After his 3 losses, he was always respectful to his opponents. Even after the Ibeabuchi fight where Merchant was disrespecting him by saying how he got whooped and asking him if he thought Ibeabuchi was the next big thing, he never made any excuses (except saying he got dumb and got caught) and showed a lot of respect for Ike.

I always liked the guy, anyone have any opinions (positive or negative) on the guy>?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chris Byrd

He's a nice guy. I think he fought at a good time. Before it was that he wanted to unify the titles, but nobody would give him the time or day. He'd fight whoever he could, even against the Klitchko's. I hope he gets a couple more good fights in before he retires.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would of been better for Byrd if the Cruiserweight division extended its limit to 200lbs sooner.
    Chris could of made his relationship with the Heavyweights more of a fling.

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because the fact is that he's a ballooned up middleweight. James Toney is another Ballooned up middleweight, they made their go on being the better boxers in the division. Now the heavyweight devision is changing and it's becoming more demanding.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's great for the sport. Lives clean, great attitude, friendly, even smiling during the interview after getting ko'd by Wlad.

Not my favorite fighter, but he is the epitomy of an OVERachiever. I think he belongs at cruiserweight and would be nearly unbeatable at that weight.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He got beat by Calzaghe in the amatuers i know that much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He got beat by Calzaghe in the amatuers i know that much

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, Byrd is a definite over-achiever. You have to like him for what he's accomplished. He's beaten some of the very top heavyweights. Now I think he should go down to Cruiserweight and take over that division. It would look great for him, establish a legacy even, if he was to soundly whip the top guys his size. He had lost a some speed though, some quickness that kept him alive at heavy. I wonder if now, he might find himself in some real dogfights at Cruiser, which by the way is becoming an exciting division. Earlier in his youth I think that Byrd would have absolutely dominated at Cruiser... But who can blame him for going after Heavyweight money? Even won a world title and held it for some time... Mentioning James Toney and Byrd together - why don't they fight?? That would be a good one...for the boxing purist anyhow. Byrd would box circles around O'Neil Bell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah chris byrd on the personality level is the MAN! real gentleman! his style and game plan was all ELUSIVENESS tho so if thats your cup of tea then hes def ya man! i personally like more of the Klitschko style which is beat the F and KO ya opponent and get him the F out of there, but to each their own.
    also he probably has more heart than any other current contendor in the HW right now.

Thread Information