0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ITV pulling the plug?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    I didn't mind seeing GOOD fights being shown on the BBC even if it was 24 hours later, they were quality fights, no adverts, no paying through the nose for sky and no PPV.
    Cor yeah! Dela Hoya v Vargas, Lewis v Tyson, Reid v Otke...

Countless Esham Pickering fights

Good stuff
    Haye v Thompson too, and they had Hatton v Urango on a week late, B-hop v Eastman, and the best part... NO DUKE F***ING MACKENZIE!
    BBC's boxing coverage rivals sky's IMO.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    I didn't mind seeing GOOD fights being shown on the BBC even if it was 24 hours later, they were quality fights, no adverts, no paying through the nose for sky and no PPV.
    Cor yeah! Dela Hoya v Vargas, Lewis v Tyson, Reid v Otke...

Countless Esham Pickering fights

Good stuff
    Haye v Thompson too, and they had Hatton v Urango on a week late, B-hop v Eastman, and the best part... NO DUKE F***ING MACKENZIE!
    Steve Bunce= Legend
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Buncey is THE MAN.

Steve Holdsworth on Eurosport is near the same bracket, too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    Yeah Buncey is THE MAN.

Steve Holdsworth on Eurosport is near the same bracket, too.
    Who's the guy who was in Takaloo's corner over the weekend? The one with the proper squeeky cockney voice?

Im sure he used to be a pundit for the old early-mid 90's ITV boxing
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh Jimmy McDonnell? That was in the old Screensport days on Eurosport, with David Brenner and Barry McGuigan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know little about UK television but it has always made me feel a bit guilty that you folks get the shaft when it comes to televised boxing.

I've always labeled Britain my country of choice should I need to flee the States for any reason, but this lack of boxing programs makes me weary of this long standing claim.

It also amazes me how well you guys keep up with the current events of boxing and how well you do in the prediction contest when you have such poor exposure to the sport. I know the UK fights throw me for a loop each week...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I know little about UK television but it has always made me feel a bit guilty that you folks get the shaft when it comes to televised boxing.

I've always labeled Britain my country of choice should I need to flee the States for any reason, but this lack of boxing programs makes me weary of this long standing claim.

It also amazes me how well you guys keep up with the current events of boxing and how well you do in the prediction contest when you have such poor exposure to the sport. I know the UK fights throw me for a loop each week...
    Actually I don't think it's half as bad as you think...if you have subscription television

All the UK Friday night fights from the prediction comp are live on TV...we also get the American ESPN Friday night fights delayed coverage during the week (if you can be bothered to look for them)

There's a dedicated sports channel that shows regular obscure European bills, as well as picking up repeats from the States

And we get plenty of big fights live from the States during the Summer (when the football/soccer seasons ended)...for instance, we're getting the Oscar-Mayweather fight free, plus we recently had the Barrera-Marquez card....
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The internet is my source for boxing coverage, I can watch all the HBO and Showtime events and some ESPN, telefutura, and of course the german stuff too live. Sky's coverage is pretty ace though, and the domestic scene is great, brits tune in to Jamie Moore tonight v Seb Lujan, should be a cracker.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually I don't think it's half as bad as you think...if you have subscription television

All the UK Friday night fights from the prediction comp are live on TV...we also get the American ESPN Friday night fights delayed coverage during the week (if you can be bothered to look for them)

There's a dedicated sports channel that shows regular obscure European bills, as well as picking up repeats from the States

And we get plenty of big fights live from the States during the Summer (when the football/soccer seasons ended)...for instance, we're getting the Oscar-Mayweather fight free, plus we recently had the Barrera-Marquez card....
    --Fen Fen

Well, that is pretty solid. I didn't know. That makes me happy

I can still claim the United Kingdom as my backup country.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if his contract runs out with them in june, it would explain why joe, enzo and kahn are all fighting again in june...

It will be a shame for the fans and the young fighters if ITV don;t renew tho, skysports for some can cost to much, ITV alows fighters to make a name for them seleves before fans have to falk out money for PPV or Skysports...

i hardly doubt many in the uk have stetanta (unless they show it free) and i doubt many if any would get it just 'coz calzaghe kahn and enzo are on it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    if his contract runs out with them in june, it would explain why joe, enzo and kahn are all fighting again in june...

It will be a shame for the fans and the young fighters if ITV don;t renew tho, skysports for some can cost to much, ITV alows fighters to make a name for them seleves before fans have to falk out money for PPV or Skysports...

i hardly doubt many in the uk have stetanta (unless they show it free) and i doubt many if any would get it just 'coz calzaghe kahn and enzo are on it...
    i doubt JC will be fighting again in june bud. not with his shitty broken hand again.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing coverage in the UK is terrible, I know any serious fan can buy Sky Sports and watch the best of the domestic stuff but the fact remains that for the average person, apart from the relatively recent ITV stuff they have got nothing for nearly ten years.

The BBC imo should really take thier obligations to cover all of British sport seriously and start competing to cover the major fights, not just domestically but overseas as well.

In my opinion it's fucking wrong that Snooker gets loads of coverage (I like snooker by the way - not knocking it ), Cricket get loads of coverage ( I fucking loathe this shitty excuse for a 'sport'), Golf, Tennis (Wimbledon at least), Football, Rugby, Formula One Racing, Horse Racing etc all get plenty of airtime but boxing, despite being a bigger sport than some of these gets practically nothing whatsoever. All the major athletics events are covered too.

With the Olympics being hosted by London in 2012 the BBC should be leading the way in promoting sport in this country. We need to have loads of boxing coverage, both pro and amatuer as all other sports get more than enough airtime.

If it goes to Sky Sports or Senetica (who ) then boxing loses out in the long run.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Boxing coverage in the UK is terrible, I know any serious fan can buy Sky Sports and watch the best of the domestic stuff but the fact remains that for the average person, apart from the relatively recent ITV stuff they have got nothing for nearly ten years.

The BBC imo should really take thier obligations to cover all of British sport seriously and start competing to cover the major fights, not just domestically but overseas as well.

In my opinion it's F****** wrong that Snooker gets loads of coverage (I like snooker by the way - not knocking it ), Cricket get loads of coverage ( I F****** loathe this shitty excuse for a 'sport'), Golf, Tennis (Wimbledon at least), Football, Rugby, Formula One Racing, Horse Racing etc all get plenty of airtime but boxing, despite being a bigger sport than some of these gets practically nothing whatsoever. All the major athletics events are covered too.

With the Olympics being hosted by London in 2012 the BBC should be leading the way in promoting sport in this country. We need to have loads of boxing coverage, both pro and amatuer as all other sports get more than enough airtime.

If it goes to Sky Sports or Senetica (who ) then boxing loses out in the long run.
    You know how it galls me to say this mate, but you're right on the money. Boxing will be the loser if it leaves ITV, and when I was a kid we couldn't get Sky, so I've only recently got back into the sport.

(Sarcasm 101) Surely the BBC did their share for boxing by covering Audley's early fights live after he won the gold medal?

Setanta would be disastrous in my opinion, cause I won't buy it, and many people will stick with Sky cause they have the broadest range of sport on their channels, with Setanta definitely second best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/quote]

Duke Mackenzie is a horrible commentator, as is the other guy. But they were both commentating for the Beeb first. No one rivals Sky as far as commentary goes, Ian Dark is by far the best and the rest on Sky are better than what BBC and ITV came up with

Thread Information