Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the repercussions if Floyd v Oscar is boring???

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What are the repercussions if Floyd v Oscar is boring???

I mean this is being hyped to gargantuan levels,and is one the few fights which will actually attract fans from all walks of life,hardore and casual alike,your corporate sponsors,EVERYONE!

The price is something like $55 dollars and I've heard tickets are being sold on the blac market/Ebay,for HUGE sums of money.

So what if it turns out to be a let down? Will boxing lose more fans/potantial fans? Will it matter? Hit me with your thoughts peeps!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What are the repercussions if Floyd v Oscar is boring???

This is the first fight in YEARS that my friends have heard about outside of me telling them about it.
    If there is not a lot of engaging, this will greatly hurt boxing as a whole IMO, especially stateside.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    This is the first fight in YEARS that my friends have heard about outside of me telling them about it.
    If there is not a lot of engaging, this will greatly hurt boxing as a whole IMO, especially stateside.
    What do you think will happen though? Will attendances dwindle? Tito Oscar was a let down,you think that had an impact? This fight could be the same with Oscar playing the role of the agressor(Tito) and Floyd boxing off the back foot allllll the way through(Oscar).

SigmaMu Guest

By June, we will have forgotten all about how people were robbed.
    "There's a sucker born every minute."
    I guess we are the kind that are reincarnated.
    We be sucka's fo' life.

BTW.

P. T. Barnum Never Did Say
    "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"
    http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html
    Interesting about the giant from Cardiff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good question.
    I don't think this fight is gonna be boring. Nothing about both fighter's styles would lead me to believe it'll be a bore.
    I think the thing that'd hurt the sport more than anything about this fight is if it ends in a bad decision or some other anticlimactical way like an early stoppage on cuts or something.

I think stacking the undercard would've been one of the most important things about the night.
    With so many casual and nonboxing fans who'll be turning their attention to the sport for one night, it's a shame they couldn't get some of the young more exciting fighters on the undercard. Like a Berto or Miranda. A casual fan who's never heard of either of these guys who tune in to see them on that night will most definitely tune in to see these guys again. And a star is born.
    Or assuming some crazy contractual agreement with Showtime, it would've been awesome to see some more "names" on the card and put something like Mayorga - Vargas together and undercard it on the night as well.
    I'm not saying the undercard is absolutely dreadful as of now, but for an event like this I hoped they would've pulled out all the stops to promote the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when the fight was first made i thought that it might be a bit of a chess match and be a bit boring. but i changed my mind about that weeks ago and i think oscar is really going to go for him which will make it exciting with floyd pulling off good counters and oscar applying good pressure. fight fans were booing floyd vs baldy because floyd didnt really want to exchange and because baldomir's limited to what he can do so therefore just ended up plodding forward and eating up pick pocketed shots from floyd. oscar wont be doing that and this fight will be a lot different to that.
    but with all the hype of this fight i can see boxing being hurt if this fight does end up being a stinker. but i cant see it happening now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    By June, we will have forgotten all about how people were robbed.
    "There's a sucker born every minute."
    I guess we are the kind that are reincarnated.
    We be sucka's fo' life.

BTW.

P. T. Barnum Never Did Say
    "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"
    http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html
    Interesting about the giant from Cardiff.
    I don't quite understand.....

Quote Originally Posted by meowza
    Good question.
    I don't think this fight is gonna be boring. Nothing about both fighter's styles would lead me to believe it'll be a bore.
    I think the thing that'd hurt the sport more than anything about this fight is if it ends in a bad decision or some other anticlimactical way like an early stoppage on cuts or something.

I think stacking the undercard would've been one of the most important things about the night.
    With so many casual and nonboxing fans who'll be turning their attention to the sport for one night, it's a shame they couldn't get some of the young more exciting fighters on the undercard. Like a Berto or Miranda. A casual fan who's never heard of either of these guys who tune in to see them on that night will most definitely tune in to see these guys again. And a star is born.
    Or assuming some crazy contractual agreement with Showtime, it would've been awesome to see some more "names" on the card and put something like Mayorga - Vargas together and undercard it on the night as well.
    I'm not saying the undercard is absolutely dreadful as of now, but for an event like this I hoped they would've pulled out all the stops to promote the sport.
    I personally think it will be boring,unless Floyd takes risks,risks which may be he does not need to take. I think it mainly depends on Oscar,whether he can rough Floyd up,cut off the ring etc. If he cannot,it will be boring.I don't think cuts will be a factor but you re correct,a bad decision COULD spoil or on the other hand,it could lead to an even bigger rematch....

Totally agree with you on the undecard. Boom Boom Bautista is a very good fighter and it should be an excellent oppertunity for him but I would love to have seen more fighters,like you said. I wanted to see a ram packed under card,which would slowly build up to the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by jbirdy
    when the fight was first made i thought that it might be a bit of a chess match and be a bit boring. but i changed my mind about that weeks ago and i think oscar is really going to go for him which will make it exciting with floyd pulling off good counters and oscar applying good pressure. fight fans were booing floyd vs baldy because floyd didnt really want to exchange and because baldomir's limited to what he can do so therefore just ended up plodding forward and eating up pick pocketed shots from floyd. oscar wont be doing that and this fight will be a lot different to that.
    but with all the hype of this fight i can see boxing being hurt if this fight does end up being a stinker. but i cant see it happening now.

I agree with the Baldo fight,but I think if Floyd performs as he did in that fight,it'll be very difficult for Oscar to catch him. However,I really really want to see Oscar land that left hook!!!!!!! I think it's up to Oscar,to catch Floyd early,take him out of his rythm. I know it's easier said than done but he needs to give us something to cheer about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo

Quote Originally Posted by meowza
    Good question.

I personally think it will be boring,unless Floyd takes risks,risks which may be he does not need to take. I think it mainly depends on Oscar,whether he can rough Floyd up,cut off the ring etc. If he cannot,it will be boring.I don't think cuts will be a factor but you re correct,a bad decision COULD spoil or on the other hand,it could lead to an even bigger rematch....

Totally agree with you on the undecard. Boom Boom Bautista is a very good fighter and it should be an excellent oppertunity for him but I would love to have seen more fighters,like you said. I wanted to see a ram packed under card,which would slowly build up to the main event.

Quote Originally Posted by jbirdy

I agree with the Baldo fight,but I think if Floyd performs as he did in that fight,it'll be very difficult for Oscar to catch him. However,I really really want to see Oscar land that left hook!!!!!!! I think it's up to Oscar,to catch Floyd early,take him out of his rythm. I know it's easier said than done but he needs to give us something to cheer about!
    Even if the fight turns out to be a onesided whuppin' for Floyd, I still don't think it'd hurt the sport.
    As long as he does it in a PBF-Gatti or PBF-Corrales type performance.
    In the fight against Baldo, I think Floyd was playing it extremely safe because he knew this Oscar payday was looming on the horizon and there really was no reason to take any risks on that night.
    But this is the big show now. This is the night he's been waiting for all his life. There's no way he throws it all away because he's scared. What is he saving himself for now? This is it!
    His three biggest fights so far have been against Hernandez, Corrales, and Gatti. And look how he turned it up in his showcase fights. I can't imagine Floyd not wanting to put on an absolute show for this biggest night he'll ever have.
    As much as a lot of his haters like to believe he's a runner, I really don't see Floyd as one.
    Against Baldy, he played it safe saving himself for the Oscar payday. Maybe against Castillo I he was a little safe too but you could make the argument about his injuries that night.
    But Floyd is a fighter. He loves fighting in the pocket. Just because his opponents seldom hit him, it doesn't mean he's running.
    I don't think Floyd's gonna run and he'll probably take his share of whacks from Oscar. And I almost guarantee you'll see that Oscar left hook early on! Floyd will see that big body as a target and lunge in for a jab to the body and probably get whacked with a counter left hook.
    But he'll take it and go on to put on the biggest show of his life.
    (I believe, anyways!)

El Kabong Guest

Well then more people will hate Floyd as it would obviously not be ODH's fault because he's never been boring before.

I just want Floyd to get massacred he's such an arrogant prick

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think their will be a downfall or slant however you wanna call it.
    I mean look at how much Tito-ODLH was hyped it was a GREAT fight from a view that ODLH gave Tito a boxing lesson and for the most part I remember people applauding and appreciateing ODLH performance. Then again I'm ONLY speaking on my surroundings meaning the 20 something people whom I saw the fight with and about another 20 whom I talked to about the fight....

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Well then more people will hate Floyd as it would obviously not be ODH's fault because he's never been boring before.

I just want Floyd to get massacred he's such an arrogant prick
    Completely agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nope no worries the one thing always good when oscar is fighting is that he always excites fans and that is one of the best qualities in oscars game and part of the reason why he remained the darling of boxing fans all over the world for all these years besides his boxing skills, charm and great quality opposition that he never backed out when challenged. Floyd may try to make it ugly though by running like chicken again but i doubt it; Oscar will pressure him until his[oscar] very last drop of gas has been used. sad to say though if he can't lure floyd to fight him toe to toe at some point on later rounds, still it might not be enough to take out floyd in chicken mode all night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then people will say Oscar was past it.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I mean this is being hyped to gargantuan levels,and is one the few fights which will actually attract fans from all walks of life,hardore and casual alike,your corporate sponsors,EVERYONE!

The price is something like $55 dollars and I've heard tickets are being sold on the blac market/Ebay,for HUGE sums of money.

So what if it turns out to be a let down? Will boxing lose more fans/potantial fans? Will it matter? Hit me with your thoughts peeps!
    I do not conceive the possibility of a letdown.....This will be worth it......
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i said it before and ill say it again....... every time oscars in a super duper mega fight theres always a shady outcome!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WE NEED EMBASSADORS OF THE SPORT THAT WILL LEAVE IT ALL OUT ON THE LINE DURING A FIGHT FOR THE SAKE OF BOXING SPORT. BUT TOO BAD BOTH FIGHTERS ARE MORE MONEY HUNGRY THEN REPRESENTING THE SPORT AND SHOWING THE WILL TO PUT ON A GREAT SHOW FOR THE FANS. HOPEFULLY ODLH PUTS ON A GOOD SHOW, I DOUBT PBF WOULD CARE FOR THE SATISFACTION OF THE FANS. HE'D DO WHATEVER IT TAKES JUST TO REMAIN UNDEFEATED.

I THINK THIS COULD BE A HUGE LET DOWN. I'M STILL HOPING NOT THOUGH.

Thread Information