Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Floyd Mayweather .... i mean why ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather .... i mean why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo
    Quote Originally Posted by skyler
    Quote Originally Posted by ono
    You have to take into consideration the ease in which Maweather has beaten most opposition before deciding he would get battered by the champions of two decades ago.
    UD - Baldomir (10 losses 6 draws mmm... well done Floyd).
    UD - Judah (beaten by Baldomir/Spinks and sparked in Rd2 by Kostya mmm... well done Floyd).
    TKO6 - Mitchell (KO'd 6 times sparked in Rd3 by Kostya & Rd4 by Williams mmm... well done Floyd).
    TKO6 - Gatti (beaten 6 times previous and sparked in Rd5 by Oscar six years ago mmm... well done Floyd).
    TKO8 - Bruseles (sparked in 3 by Ernesto Zavala mmm... well done Floyd)
    UD - Corely (beaten 5 times sparked in Rd5 by Cotto mmm... well done Floyd).

I take into consideration what other people have done to his opponents. Floyd has done nothing defining since leaving 135. He may take his game to another level against Oscar but from what I have seen of him at 140 and 147 he has bitten off more than he can chew at 154.

'Well done' you have basically come up with a list of fighters who are naturally bigger or hit much harder than Mayweather. He only left 135 just over a year and a half ago and in that time he has a win over Judah and now there is the fight with De La Hoya. It's unfair to expect fighters to have a career defining fight every year because there aint enough fighters out there that are good enough to define someone's career.
    In my opinion Floyd hasn't fought not a single 1 of the top 5 Welterweights at the moment, but he is going to retire after this fight because he says there is nothing left for him to prove!!

At least make an attempt to prove to the Fans that you are the best Welterweight of your era before running off with your Golden Boy retirement cheque claiming to be the greatest ever. What a pussy.

Even though I say these things I' am 100% sure Floyd will not retire. Especially after watching 24/7. Floyd couldn't walk away from the sport if his life depended on it and he sure as shite isn't grown up enough to run a promotional company.
    In your opinion who are the top 5 welterweights?
    Mosley
    Cotto
    Margarito
    Williams
    Hatton
    No offense, but this list is a joke.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympian904
    His record is overrated?lol...wow
    No matter what you say...Floyd has a quality resume.
    Now take a look at the other Welters resumes(excluding Mosley)and you wont find anything other than C+ and D fighters on theirs.
    Add Mosely to the mix too. Besides his first win against Oscar(the second fight Oscar won), who else has he beat that is so much better than Floyd's opponents. Winky? Forrest? He lost those fights.
    You see...that's the difference between Floyd and Shane. Shane fought a great fighter in Oscar Twice, fought a great fighter in Winky, and fought a very good fighter (and potentially a great fighter in if it wasn't for his injuries) in Forrest. Win, lose, or draw...he at least faced some great fighters. Who is the GREAT fighter on Floyd's resume? We can argue all day if it's his fault or not that he never faced great opposition or if it was just an era thing....but BOTTOM LINE is....he hasn't faced a truly great fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympian904
    His record is overrated?lol...wow
    No matter what you say...Floyd has a quality resume.
    Now take a look at the other Welters resumes(excluding Mosley)and you wont find anything other than C+ and D fighters on theirs.
    Add Mosely to the mix too. Besides his first win against Oscar(the second fight Oscar won), who else has he beat that is so much better than Floyd's opponents. Winky? Forrest? He lost those fights.
    This makes me laugh a little. I'm not sure I get the logic. When it comes to competition I guess the point is, at least he did fight those guys. Certainly, it's always better to fight great fighters and win, but often the competition tells us much more. We get to seem them truly challenged, not just fighting safe manitory fights against mediocore guys. Corrales and Chavez? Please, they're good fighters, but are not the world class p4p challenges of a Wright, De La Hoya, Hopkins or Mosley. Mosley, was willing to put it on the line and get in the ring with the likes of Wright and De La Hoya. Yes, De La Hoya was definitely out of his range with Hopkins (and even Sturm for that matter), but he put it on the line and took the challenges. As a result of these fights we know that Oscar has trouble with bigger, stronger men who can wear him down, punish him and turn him into a small fighter. We know that Mosley has trouble with long guys, good boxers with an effective jab. But if they never took those risks, would they be better fighters in reality, or just have been better at hiding what we have eventually learned about them?

Let's remember, we saw Mosley exposed by Wright at 154. We saw De La Hoya exposed by Hopkins at 160. Hardly these fighter's optimum weights. Still, they went up and tried against the best available. They didn't make excuses, they went out there and made it happen.

I'm going to make a similar argument as the one above and say that the local boy scout troop is a better military force then the French Army before WWII. Why, because they never lost to the Nazis, they must be better.

I believe that there is only one impressive name on Floyd's record, and that's Castillo. Floyd had to take him on since he wanted his belt, but I will give Floyd credit for a good win against a good fighter. Other than that, Corrales included, I think Floyd has always played it safe and done only what was necessary to maintain his title and status. Franky, I was surprised when this fight became a reality. I didn't think Floyd had it in him.

In fact, it made me think very hard about this match-up. I kept thinking that there must be something there or Floyd would have never taken it. Oscar has been inactive. He has looked weak with his last few fights, particulary Sturm and Hopkins. Even though he knocked out Mayorga, a brawling clod, at times he did look rusty and vulnerable. He is getting older. All true. Maybe Floyd just thinks that Oscar is weak and that this is his opportunity. Or, maybe Floyd has finally started believing his own hype and arrogance has gotten the better of him. Either it was a very well perceived opportunity or a total miscalculation.

Whichever it turns out to be, it is a gutsy move by Floyd. There is a lot of risk here. Very soon, we'll know which way history will judge it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well said Manny. I too feel like Floyd is taking a risk. Mayweather is banking on the hope that Oscar doesn't have much left in the tank and that his conditioning and age will be his greatest weakness. And he could be right to think that. BUT...if Oscar shows up sharp, fit, and shows he has one last great fight left in him...Floyd could be in serious danger....his ego having gotten the best of him. I already felt Floyd's frame and power was being stretched at 147...now he is jumping to 154. I guess that's one of the intriguing aspects of this fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    You have to take into consideration the ease in which Maweather has beaten most opposition before deciding he would get battered by the champions of two decades ago.
    UD - Judah (beaten by Baldomir/Spinks and sparked in Rd2 by Kostya mmm... well done Floyd).
    TKO6 - Mitchell (KO'd 6 times sparked in Rd3 by Kostya & Rd4 by Williams mmm... well done Floyd).
    TKO6 - Gatti (beaten 6 times previous and sparked in Rd5 by Oscar six years ago mmm... well done Floyd).

I take into consideration what other people have done to his opponents. Floyd has done nothing defining since leaving 135. He may take his game to another level against Oscar but from what I have seen of him at 140 and 147 he has bitten off more than he can chew at 154.

'Well done' you have basically come up with a list of fighters who are naturally bigger or hit much harder than Mayweather. He only left 135 just over a year and a half ago and in that time he has a win over Judah and now there is the fight with De La Hoya. It's unfair to expect fighters to have a career defining fight every year because there aint enough fighters out there that are good enough to define someone's career.
    In my opinion Floyd hasn't fought not a single 1 of the top 5 Welterweights at the moment, but he is going to retire after this fight because he says there is nothing left for him to prove!!

At least make an attempt to prove to the Fans that you are the best Welterweight of your era before running off with your Golden Boy retirement cheque claiming to be the greatest ever. What a pussy.

Even though I say these things I' am 100% sure Floyd will not retire. Especially after watching 24/7. Floyd couldn't walk away from the sport if his life depended on it and he sure as shite isn't grown up enough to run a promotional company.
    Mosley
    Cotto
    Margarito
    Williams
    Hatton
    no offense taken mate but if my list is a joke then I'm getting ready to piss in my pants when I read your list.

Enlighten me and name your top 5 Welterweights at the moment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Floyd hasnt fought any "great" fighters...then other than Mosley...there are NO great welters for him to fight.
    Yes Shane fought Winky,DLH,etc...but there are NO "Winkys" and "DLHs" in the welter division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley
    Cotto
    Margarito
    Williams
    Hatton
    Dude, If Floyd actually signed on to fight Paul Williams the boxing community would crucify him beyond belief. Please don't critizise the choice of facing Baldomir and Judah and have the audacity to say Williams is more worthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea

Mosley
    Cotto
    Margarito
    Williams
    Hatton
    no offense taken mate but if my list is a joke then I'm getting ready to piss in my pants when I read your list.

Enlighten me and name your top 5 Welterweights at the moment?
    Mayweather
    Cotto
    Margarito
    Mosley
    Williams/Clottey

Your inclusion of Hatton on this list is laughable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    well noone liked ali when he talked S*** but time and time again ali proved himself ............. and i bet 5 ppl money and they dont even follow boxig they jus pick oscar cuz he nice
    5 people money! WHOA

u my friend will be a RICH man may 5th say about 10:00PM pacific standard time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashcrusher
    Dude, If Floyd actually signed on to fight Paul Williams the boxing community would crucify him beyond belief. Please don't critizise the choice of facing Baldomir and Judah and have the audacity to say Williams is more worthy
    Good point I should not have included Williams.

My point is though as it stands today there are at least 5 Welterweights better than Judah & Baldomir yet Floyd wants to retire because there is nothing left for him to prove? I don't think he has even proven that he is the best Welterweight yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashcrusher
    Good point I should not have included Williams.

My point is though as it stands today there are at least 5 Welterweights better than Judah & Baldomir yet Floyd wants to retire because there is nothing left for him to prove? I don't think he has even proven that he is the best Welterweight yet.
    This is how I see it.Baldo was ranked OVER Cotto,Margo,and Williams when he and Floyd fought.If he fights Cotto...people will be screaming for Floyd to fight Margo...is he fights Margo...they'll be screaming for Hatton,etc...

Thread Information