Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default khan v limmond got it off frankwarren.tv

Amir Khan will fight for his first major title at London's O2 Stadium - the former Millennium Dome - on July 14 against Willie Limond.

Promoter Frank Warren has today (Sunday) confirmed that the Scotsman Limond's Commonwealth lightweight title will be on the line as Khan takes a step up in class.

The 20-year-old, from Bolton, Lancs, has raced to 12-0 (9) since turning professional in July of 2005, and in his last fight stopped Steffy Bull inside three rounds.

However in Limond he will face a dangerous test - the Glaswegian is a seasoned championship boxer with just one defeat in 29 outings.

A former British super-featherweight title challenger and the holder of both the European Union and Celtic super-featherweight titles, the 28-year-old stepped up to lightweight last November after struggling to make 9'4.

In an impressive display he beat Kpakpo Allotey over 12 rounds, winning comfortably on points after dropping the Ghanaian in the first round.

It lifted his record to 28-1 (, and before the Khan fight was announced, Limond spoke positively of tackling the Olympic silver medallist.

"I have worked hard to get that belt and I am not about to just give it up," he told the Glasgow Herald newspaper. "He has won an Olympic silver medal so deserves respect but there has been a lot of hype surrounding him, maybe too much so early in his career.

"I want to defend my title and not just for the money. Of course I have to support my family like anyone else but I maybe only have four years left in boxing and still have ambitions to fulfil.

"I know Khan's manager Frank Warren is not going to put him into a world title fight straight away, so fighting for my Commonwealth title is an obvious step up the ladder.

"You simply cannot get fast-tracked to a world title. He has only been a pro for a couple of years and fighting me would take him to a different level because I have fought 29 professional bouts.

"I have not studied his style yet but it's obvious to see his qualities."

Khan has already won the IBF Intercontinental light-welterweight title as a professional, beating Frenchman Rachid Drilzane over 10 rounds in London in December.

* Khan will attend a press conference in London on Monday to discuss the fight. We'll have all the news here at fwtv, plus details of other fights on the card as and when they are announced.

ICB Guest

Default Re: khan v limmond got it off frankwarren.tv

Good step up for Khan im glad about time.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A move in the right direction. Amir WILL be way to good for Limmond though. Hopefully it is a springboard to a tustle with Thacko.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    A move in the right direction. Amir WILL be way to good for Limmond though. Hopefully it is a springboard to a tustle with Thacko.
    It is a move in the right direction 4 amir, but the reason he is going in with limond is simple, limond isnt a puncher. Amir has yet to have his chin tested and doubt that limond is the man to test it, limond was boxed to a stand still by alex arther, and obviously with khan being the bigger man i think it might just turn into target practise 4 khan once again. If he wants to prove to the nation that he has the makings of a world champ he needs his chin tested, otherwise he might just end up like audley harrison, only find out when its to late!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it's so important Limond isn't a puncher in this one.

It's a decent enough step up where we'll be able to gauge A LOT from Khan's victory.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup, it is a step in the right direction, as y'all have mentioned but I think Warren is trying to keep Amir away from anyone with power, because I fear he shares a trait with another of our Olympic stars...that of the glass jaw. ANyhow....should make for an interesting fight, and bring some more hype to the career of Amir Khan. Thaxton is the natural step if he gets through this one, and that is when Khan's chin will be properly tested for the first time.

Anyhow, should make for a decent undercard fight, and will no doubt help to sell a few seats for Frank 'a few dollars more' Warren.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Undercard?

Cook or Khan: Who will get more bums on seats?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information