Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing vs taekwondo

Why not Van! Do it mate!

Every other no body seems to bring out "fantastic, crippling techniques!...never lose a fight" type shitty self defence videos filled with utter shyte.

Worries me sometimes that people buy this utter garbage and trust their safety to copying a couple of cack techniques leaned from a DVD. The DVD gives them the power to think they can walk into any dangerous situation and kick some serious ass if they get in trouble.

Suicide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D
    More than any other sport, boxing stresses sparring and competing at 100%.
    I'd disagree with you there mate. Not to push my own art/sport forward too much but we compete and do randori at 110% balls to the wall stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Munk, good points for sure, and Van. But you don't need to train in fighting dirty to know how to fight dirty. Granted, boxers might tend to box, but that's not to say that they'll always forget to headbut a guy. And I too advocate the leg kick, thai clinch etc., elbows, knees etc, all of which I throw on my bag to keep a basic foundation. But again, you don't have to be an expert in TKD or MT to do those things.

Also, you're right about judo. IMO, when it comes to the clinch where the boxers fists are partially neutralized, I greatly advocate judo or even GR wrestling.

But I still agree with D. Yes, our 99% might be a bit high, but it's not too far off because in terms of having ONE base, boxing (yes, intertwined witha few others) is most of what you'll need.

and here's a big part of why: a decent boxer has two hands to use. The average chump has just one, and it usually aint even that good. The aveage chump would fold like a tent if you planted a bare-fisted body shot on his ribs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What some people don't understand is that the current form of TKD, as practiced in most places today, has veered away from the basics that rooted it as "martial art." Taekwondo in it's current "sport" form puts great emphasis on SPEED KICKS...you rarely use hand strikes which also are taught in traditional tkd. Worst still...almost all competitors have the horrible habit of fighting with their hands completely down. So when you watch tkd matches...there is a lot of bouncing and checking...usually followed by flurries of kicks. Sure...there are certainly moments of spectacular headshot knockouts...but almost the MAJORITY of the fights are for point scoring largely around the chest and stomach area using your legs. Can you use some of the basic skills and kicks in tkd and incorporate them effectively in a street fight...sure you can. But most current competitors in tkd would have habits and weaknesses that could easily be exploited by a skilled fighter who can use his/her hands. As some people have mentioned...this isn't really a case of what martial art is better than another or better than boxing. Ideally...in my opinion....someone who can incorporate various skills well...using hands, legs, grappling, etc.....will generally have an advantage over someone who can only do one thing. I know there are exceptions...and factors such as height, weight, and strength also play a role...but i am speaking in general.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've worked w/ some Muay Thai and kick boxers and have a little training in knees and leg kicks but that is about it. Is there a big technique difference in karate, TKD and Kung Fu?
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    I've worked w/ some Muay Thai and kick boxers and have a little training in knees and leg kicks but that is about it. Is there a big technique difference in karate, TKD and Kung Fu?
    yes there is. kung fu is based more so on the movements of animals so form and precision is def a key in this art.

karate in my eyes is more so the japanese version of korean tkd and vice versa. both are more so dealing with kicks and keeping the distance away from opponents.

if anything kung fu has the most inside and toe to toe trading of the three IMO

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    yes there is. kung fu is based more so on the movements of animals so form and precision is def a key in this art.

karate in my eyes is more so the japanese version of korean tkd and vice versa. both are more so dealing with kicks and keeping the distance away from opponents.

Animal movements? Sounds a little hokey to me. Now the olympic sport is TKD right? Would a karate fighter be on equal footing in an olympic event with TKD or is there some basic differences?
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P

Animal movements? Sounds a little hokey to me. Now the olympic sport is TKD right? Would a karate fighter be on equal footing in an olympic event with TKD or is there some basic differences?
    yes animal movements the arts were created by anchient shaolin MUNKS thousands and thousands of years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

id say karate and tkd could be matched pretty equally in an olympic match, but it would never happen since the two nations hate each other. more so korea hating japan for the historical colonization and imperialism.

karate def has more hand strikes than tkd tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

u guys are missing my point tho. in a REAL street fight if your say 5'10" 175lbs and your opponent is 6'5" 240lbs.
    If that's the case, it may not matter which art you know. you would have to be pretty effective at it to beat someone that much bigger who's intent is to break you in half.
    however, a fight is going to go through different ranges. if it starts further out, i.e. kicking range, then having some good kicks would be your best first line of defense. if he gets past that, I would want boxing. if he got past that range though neither is going to matter as you are probably going to the ground.
    that's based on going against someone so much bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well as ive said before i have competed at a high level in TKD its true that it is more sport and less combat now but i think the original question was based on a controled ring inviroment not the streats and in my opinion as i have trained in boxing and competed in kickboxing i have been very affective at keeping distance with my kicks and alot of boxings head movements bring them into my kicks rather than avoiding them also boxing offers no real answer to leg kicks. also when on the inside before i became good at boxing tying my opponent up and waiting for a brake helped. and as far as walking thruogh my kicks this might work with a roundhouse kick but it will be detrimental to try that with back kick or side kicks. And there are some good schools that train with good sparring full contacted and if you watch the olimpics there was knockouts one good kick to the head and its lights out. so if you can adapt and keep your head about you when fighing i think tkd can be adapted into a good fighting art.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but i think the original question was based on a controled ring inviroment not the streats
    the original poster did clarify he meant 'street fight' in another post.

to prove your point re a ring fight though though, here's a kickboxer vs. boxer vid
    [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edz99Oua4Uo[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry p4p... kung fu = joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    sorry p4p... kung fu = joke.
    how do u figure a martial art that defended one of the greatest civilizations in history for so many thousands of years against thousands of intruders, enemies rival armies to be a joke?

id like you to biotch slap jet li or any hard core kung fu master champions and tell them kung fu is a joke.

kung fu is the reason a lil guy like jet li can fuckkk up a room of guys 4 times his side in like about 60seconds or so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You sure it isn't the ancient martial arts of Computer Generated Graphics and Stuntmen and Choreographed Fights that allows that?

Also, ANY history you hear about a martial art that sounds a bit far fetched tends to be far more than a bit far fetched. Not just saying that about Kung Fu, but a lot of the TMAs. Kinda like how the samurai somehow became these honor bound swordsmen sworn to a life of destitution to rid the evils from the world, when in reality they were rich horse archer noblemen.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Thread Information