Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default boxing vs taekwondo

someone told me that if a taekwondo meets boxing.. boxing is no match.. anyone who believe in that? well i almost give that guy an uppercut then follow up with a hook punch.. luckily i didnt.. what advantage can a boxer have to kick a taekwondos a**... or vice cersa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing vs taekwondo

Quote Originally Posted by cougar
    someone told me that if a taekwondo meets boxing.. boxing is no match.. anyone who believe in that? well i almost give that guy an uppercut then follow up with a hook punch.. luckily i didnt.. what advantage can a boxer have to kick a taekwondos a**... or vice cersa?
    its true!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im a martial artist first and foremost before a boxer.

out of all the real life street fights ive been in. ive used martial arts over boxing, especially if the opponent is significantly larger/stronger than me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im actually a kickboxer (Freestyle karate) but alot of the techniques we use are alot like Taekwondo and I have sparred and fought many fighters in the ring over the last 15 years including many boxers. In my experience if a boxer stands off me I can kick his head all day but if an experienced boxer gets in close, toe to toe I think a boxer wins everytime just because they are so used to fighting up close. As long as I can keep the distance between me and my opponent it deffinitely gives me the room I need to open my kicks up but I also find that a good experienced boxer can take alot of good hits and if they can walk through my barrage of kicks again closing the gap I find a boxer has the edge in my experience!!
    Nothings Sweeter Than Sugar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerharvey
    Im actually a kickboxer (Freestyle karate) but alot of the techniques we use are alot like Taekwondo and I have sparred and fought many fighters in the ring over the last 15 years including many boxers. In my experience if a boxer stands off me I can kick his head all day but if an experienced boxer gets in close, toe to toe I think a boxer wins everytime just because they are so used to fighting up close. As long as I can keep the distance between me and my opponent it deffinitely gives me the room I need to open my kicks up but I also find that a good experienced boxer can take alot of good hits and if they can walk through my barrage of kicks again closing the gap I find a boxer has the edge in my experience!!
    well thats the principals of most martial arts is to keep the proper distance and fight and to close in and out to attack and retreat to defense mode. bruce lee was best at this. thats why he never got hit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerharvey
    good, honest answer. cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cougar
    no, it's hogwash. I'll take a boxer's ability to both outfight and infight over any other art any day of the week. But in the case of TKD or kickboxing or muaythai'er, if the guy can land a few leg kicks, it's a great weapon of course. I'm a boxer, but I also practise kicks/knees/elbows when working out at home.

It boils down to which guy is better at making the other guy fight HIS fight. But IMO, boxing is all you need in 99/100 street/bar fights. It's the quintessential fighting art: no belts, no bullshit. Just good old fashioned punch-your-opponent-in-the-face really hard, and boxers usually do that better than anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Basically, in a street fight, I'd say boxer wins 99/100 times pretty easily. TKD has no real room to work in MOST street fight scenarios.

In the ring, it comes down to the person. A guy like Tyson will fair much better, because he wades in and destroys from up close, while a guy like Ali who stays back more and actually boxes will be subject to the kicks. I'd still give it to the boxer in most cases, though.

HOWEVER, in my experience, the greatest asset that a boxer will have over pretty much any other martial artist is that boxers train for their sport by actually doing it. More than any other sport, boxing stresses sparring and competing at 100%. Almost every single TKD person I've ever known, internet posters or otherwise, trains against the air, and competes in either semi or full contact point sparring. Whens the last time you saw a TKD tournament where the winner is the guy who knocks the other guy out (or hell...even the guy who has won the majority of 12 full contact nonstop rounds?). That alone would, in my opinion and that of many others, is enough to give the boxer a serious edge. Practicing only takes you so far, experience gets you the rest of the way.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a black belt in Taekwondo i can honestly say it is one of the worst martial arts, in it's current form, to be used in a street fight. Tkd has become more of a sport and less of martial art in the last several years. BUT...that is actually to it detriment. Sport tkd, has heavy D has mentioned, is point sparring. Almost all tkd competitors today spar with their hand completely down...which in a real fight is a HUGE no-no. Tkd is certainly challenging and many of it's kicks are as difficult and graceful as any martial art. However, by itself, it is a highly ineffective tool for an actual fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll throw this out there for what's it worth. About 25 yrs. ago when I was heavily into the martial arts (Kenpo) I got an invite to spar with a tae kwon do black belt ( I was a 1st dan in kenpo). When we started out the guy was literally kicking the sh*t out of me. Then I tried to get in close, out of his kicking range, and use some hand striking techniques. He was done from that point on. I don't like to berate any martial art because it takes dedication to reach black belt level in any system, but TKD seemed to place heavy emphasis on kicking techniques rather than hand techniques. JMO.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin
    As a black belt in Taekwondo i can honestly say it is one of the worst martial arts, in it's current form, to be used in a street fight. Tkd has become more of a sport and less of martial art in the last several years. BUT...that is actually to it detriment. Sport tkd, has heavy D has mentioned, is point sparring. Almost all tkd competitors today spar with their hand completely down...which in a real fight is a HUGE no-no. Tkd is certainly challenging and many of it's kicks are as difficult and graceful as any martial art. However, by itself, it is a highly ineffective tool for an actual fight.
    this is probably the only objective view on TKD by one of its practitioners I've ever read. CC for the honest and objective opinion
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin
    As Van said, great honesty. cc.

I admire the sport of it vry much. To be able to do all that acrobatic stuff, amazing. But in reality, all those high flying kicks are useless in close quarters. But in a fight, I'll admit, I wouldn't want to take one above the knee from a TKD expert.

there's a kid who boxes at our gym one in while and I was asking him about all those kicks... he said, "it's just for show. The one you want to land is the knee kick."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

u guys are missing my point tho. in a REAL street fight if your say 5'10" 175lbs and your opponent is 6'5" 240lbs.

more than likely unless you have HEAVY hands or he has a glass jaw if you box this guy its over for you.

TKD on the other hand neturalizes the size factor, weight factor etc. yes TKD is primarily kicks. but if you kick a larger opponent properly you have a higher chance of seriously hurting him or KO'ing him than punching him.

a kick is 2x to 6x more powerful than a punch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive known people who have been TKD practitioners and still do and these guys have made it work for them in a street fight. What TKD gives you is attributes for you to use as you so wish. having said that if an art is modified to be more practical in a street fight then it is no longer the art in its purest form.

TKD is a great workout and is great for fliexibility and will give you the ATTRIBUTES to use as you so wish in a bar brawl but dont for one second think your green belt plant form will assist you when some fellas fists start being an orchestra and want to play a symphony on your head.

Any martial art is only as good as the person who practises it. I will say though that boxing alone is not good for 99/100% of all street fights. A striking art alone is not enough. Ive known boxers who boxed for the royal navy. F****** good ones aswell get owned in bar fights by untrained street fighters who know the score. Boxers tend to fight like they do in the ring when in the street. To defend yourself well in a bar fight there is so much more needed than hard skills.Soft skills, awareness, knowing your surroundings, body language, attack cues etc etc are all needed. I dont doubt for one second that a boxer knows how to hit someone hard. If they get the first shot in pre-emptively then its pretty much over. Fists arent the only thing used in a bar brawl though. All tools become viable. head, knees (believe it or not a thai clinch in a street fight (in my experience) own lots of techniques.
    A boxers muscle memory conditions them (as they have practised so much in sparring and competition) to keep form and box, punch with their fists. Fighting in the street and protecting yourself in a bar is so much more than that.

Training for self defence is an art on its own.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been in three knockdown drag out bar brawls...and I found grabbing their shirt and smashing someones nose w/my forehead was pretty effective. I'll have a training DVD out for $25.95 on this awesome technique next month.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information