Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Your thoughts on Tony Ayala Jr?

Just wondering about your thoughts on Tony Ayala Jr's in-ring work. I assume we can all agree that he was a slimeball outside the ring and the world is better for him being locked up, but what are your thoughts of his early in-ring work?

Do you think the Tony Ayala/Davey Moore fight would have played out? How would he have stacked up against a junior middleweight Duran? How far could he have gone with his talent?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Your thoughts on Tony Ayala Jr?

Ayala seemed to have power. I think matching him up with the 1984 version of Duran who fought Hearns would have been a mistake. Duran would have probably been able to out experience Ayala and stop him on cuts or at least win a decision. Ayala would not beat Duran. not in the mid 80s. Moore? I think Moore would have been a more even fight because both were at the same experience level. That is why Duran beat Moore so convincinly because Moore had no experience. But look what happened when Duran fought an experienced Tommy Hearns. Experience means alot. Duran beating Davey Moore was all experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He could have been a contender..but then he went to jail.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He had many hangups in the ring but was a force on the come. His chin was a bit suspect as Mario Maldanado showed. His charater was also falwed in the ring as his fight with Robbie Epps showed. Still, he was a great amature who had a great potential until he ruined it for himself. No pity or sympathy now, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Ayala name is cursed
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    You should read some of Thomas Gerbasi's articles on Tony. Ouch, he goes fater hin tooth and tong. I give him a little ink in my book, but mostly as a big dissapoinment along with Ike and Tyson.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    You should read some of Thomas Gerbasi's articles on Tony. Ouch, he goes fater hin tooth and tong. I give him a little ink in my book, but mostly as a big dissapoinment along with Ike and Tyson.
    Aint that the fucking truth. Its even worse with Ayala though because he went to jail at 19-20, still pretty much a fucking kid, and came out nearly middle aged haha.

You say you gave him a little ink in your book... whats it called?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    Ayala seemed to have power. I think matching him up with the 1984 version of Duran who fought Hearns would have been a mistake. Duran would have probably been able to out experience Ayala and stop him on cuts or at least win a decision. Ayala would not beat Duran. not in the mid 80s. Moore? I think Moore would have been a more even fight because both were at the same experience level. That is why Duran beat Moore so convincinly because Moore had no experience. But look what happened when Duran fought an experienced Tommy Hearns. Experience means alot. Duran beating Davey Moore was all experience.
    Duran's thumb in Moore's eye early in the fight helped also. Without that , the fight would not have been so onesided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Duran fight vs. Moore was sad in my mind. I always felt sorry for Davey Moore. Duran did what he had to do to win but the result was sad. Davey Moore was too inexperienced to be champion or to be fighting Duran. Duran in 1983 was still a good fighter who still lost to the quick footed or quick handed guys, but if you gave him the right opponent he would win as is the case in his whole career. Only when he came up against the real cream of the crop fighters did he lose bigtime like with Benitez,Hagler or Hearns. As for Davey Moore, the thumb was an issue but not the whole issue at all. He still could not deal with certain things which had he had another 10 fights he could have dealt with better. He had 11 fights I think.

Thread Information