Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who was the best from 147 to 160 in the late 90s early 2000

As the fighters that first made me into the boxing fan I am today begin to pass the torch to fighters like PBF, Cotto, JC, Miranda, Williams and possibly Berto. I would like to start this thread as a way of remembering the greats of the last era.

I remember there use to be alot of debate on this some years ago and these debates still continue. I want to know your opinion on it saddoboxing forum.

To me it comes down to five fighters..(Please feel free to add more if you think he belongs in this list)

Oscar de la Hoya
    Bernard Hopkins
    Shane Mously
    Felix Trinidad
    Ronald Wright

Each of these guys was at one point #1P4P. Who was the best?

Who had the best all around reccord with regards to quality of opposition (at the time they faught) and performance?

If they were all on their prime and put in a tournament together who would win at 147, who would win at 154 and who would win at 160.

And finally, who was your favorite and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who was the best from 147 to 160 in the late 90s early 2000

Tito @ 147.
    Wright @ 154.
    B-Hop @ 160.

And yes, I do realize that most people are of the INCORRECT opinion that DeLa beat Tito @ 147.

ICB Guest

Roy Jones ??

Nah just realized he fought Toney at Supermiddleweight

But overall Jones would beat anyone at Middleweight in 90s quite easily imo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Overall... I gotta go with old man hopkins
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Around the time..Im gona list a couple for each since most fought eachother to decide the best but there were a couple big names each division..

147 : 1999 Trinidad and Oscar In 2000 oscar lost to mosely and beat gatti only fighting twice that year so i would have mosely as best in 2000

154: I would have Fernando ruling 99 having beat quartey and winky and bieng undefeated..
    And i would have tito riegning best in 2000

160: Probably hopkins..But thats a bit of a bad one since there wasnt loads of great fighters at 160 at the time and hopkins didnt prove himself until 2001 against holmes, tito etc..
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    Around the time..Im gona list a couple for each since most fought eachother to decide the best but there were a couple big names each division..

147 : 1999 Trinidad and Oscar In 2000 oscar lost to mosely and beat gatti only fighting twice that year so i would have mosely as best in 2000

154: I would have Fernando ruling 99 having beat quartey and winky and bieng undefeated..

160: Probably hopkins..But thats a bit of a bad one since there wasnt loads of great fighters at 160 at the time and hopkins didnt prove himself until 2001 against holmes, tito etc..
    Winky beat Vargas IMO......B-HOP at 160.....SSM at 147....
    It feels good to be back home.

El Kabong Guest

147: Shane Mosley/De la Hoya (IMO they split their fights)
    154: De la Hoya/Trinidad (IMO ODH won the fight but Tito did very well there)
    160: Bernard Hopkins: no doubt in this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigragu

No doubt winky won the fight..But going on fernando getting the win is why i said vargas
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt winky won the fight..But going on fernando getting the win is why i said vargas
    Peace
    understand bro...that's what counts..the "W"....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peace
    understand bro...that's what counts..the "W"....
    It'd do for me if i was vargas :P
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My favorite was always Tito. His fights were never a disapointment during his reign as champion.

I also think his reccord is great, he did have a lot of bumbs but he also beat good fighters when they were still undefeated.

I wish Tito would have faught Mously at some point. That would have been a great one. Before the Forrest fights, a lot of people said Mously would beat him easilly. I think now the opinion is different.

If we consider the fight with DLH a draw, then compare their reccord at 147, 154 ans 160 and we see Tito being a little more impressive.

DLH does have the better accomplishments with all the belts at different weight classes though.

My pics...
    147 Tito
    154 Wright (This one is hard, I think Tito was great at this weight but with only 3 fights to judge...)
    160 B-Hop

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

147 - Mosley, blinding speed and power.

154 - Winky, I dont see how it could be anyone else, he schools almost anyone at this weight.

160 - As much as I want to say Winky, it has to be B-Hop, rarely has a division been dominated as Hopkins did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Winky: Beats Quartey, Trinidad, Mosley, ODLH, and maybe even Hopkins prime for prime. He beat Trinidad, Quartey, Vargas, Mosley twice, Jermain Taylor, and a whole slew of good or great fighters.
    2. B-Hop: He only gets the edge prime for prime over Winky due to size. However I still say he beats the rest, and he was a true fundamentalist of the sport even though he is a little more unorthodox than people give him credit for... I've hardly ever seen a guy catch somebody like he did Tarver so many times looking at the ground.
    3. ODLH. went 1-1 against Mosey, Beat Trinidad, fought Chavez and Whitaker, Beat Vargas more impressively IMO than Trinidad, IMO squeezed by Quartey, Gave Hopkins a good fight at middleweight until the size differential kicked in.
    4. Trinidad: hard puncher, proven he couldn't beat the very best, but looked more impressive than them against quality opponents.
    6. Mosley: Godly fast, and amazingly powerful for his size, but he wasn't all that great at 147 and up... Without his overwhelming power like he had at 135 he wasn't the best boxer, and he had the Meldrick Taylor complex where he always has to bang with the opponent even when its failed him.
    Ike Quartey: amazing fighter who was the only one I've seen to truly hurt Oscar, and he knocked him down first. But his fight with Vargas puts him behind Mosley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to admit that even though Tito is my favorite, as I said before, I don't think he was the very best of the 5.

To me that honer goes to B-Hop for his long reign as a MW champion and IMHO the only man who can say he beat Tito in his prime, if not in his best weight class. It is a real shame RJJ never gave him a second chance and because he didn't I think in the end Hopkins will be considered greater than RJJ in the future.

I don't think it is fair to say DLH "beat" Tito. If anything the fight was a draw. Yes DLH outboxed him, but he couldn't do it consistently and he did not do enough to win. Considering that it was Tito who got the W, I think I am being generous in conceding a draw.

Wright has really been impressive lately. I would like to see how he does against B-Hop. It is too bad that he was recognized so late in his career. He might have established himself with a win against a prime DLH and a prime Tito if he had not dropped a decision against Vargas. Instead he ended up beating a blown up Mously, a passed his prime Tito and will fight a passed his prime B-Hop.

I would rank them like this:

1- B-Hop
    2- Wright
    3- Trinidad (a prime Tito would have given Wright a much tougher fight, but I don't think he would've won because of the styles)
    4- DLH
    5- Mously

Even with Mously's 2 wins over DLH, DLH did far more in his career. I think DLH made a mistake by trying to out speed Mously instead of trying to outbox him. However, both of these guys are still fighting and have a chance to modify their rankings....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    1. Winky: Beats Quartey, Trinidad, Mosley, ODLH, and maybe even Hopkins prime for prime. He beat Trinidad, Quartey, Vargas, Mosley twice, Jermain Taylor, and a whole slew of good or great fighters.
    2. B-Hop: He only gets the edge prime for prime over Winky due to size. However I still say he beats the rest, and he was a true fundamentalist of the sport even though he is a little more unorthodox than people give him credit for... I've hardly ever seen a guy catch somebody like he did Tarver so many times looking at the ground.
    3. ODLH. went 1-1 against Mosey, Beat Trinidad, fought Chavez and Whitaker, Beat Vargas more impressively IMO than Trinidad, IMO squeezed by Quartey, Gave Hopkins a good fight at middleweight until the size differential kicked in.
    4. Trinidad: hard puncher, proven he couldn't beat the very best, but looked more impressive than them against quality opponents.
    6. Mosley: Godly fast, and amazingly powerful for his size, but he wasn't all that great at 147 and up... Without his overwhelming power like he had at 135 he wasn't the best boxer, and he had the Meldrick Taylor complex where he always has to bang with the opponent even when its failed him.
    Ike Quartey: amazing fighter who was the only one I've seen to truly hurt Oscar, and he knocked him down first. But his fight with Vargas puts him behind Mosley.
    Tito could and did fight and beat the best!
    And winky beat him at middleweight.. So that's not really sticking to the topic of best of the new millenium in the separate weight classes!
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information