Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ~May she rest in peace~

I just read this on fightnews, I've called Lou and left him a message.
    Pat R.I.P.

Pat Filippo, beloved wife of world-renown boxing referee and judge Lou Filippo, has passed away. Pat and Lou celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary in October.
    From fightnews

You might not know who I'm talking about here, you might have NEVER heard the name Lou Filippo, you might have but you don't remember and thats fine cause in order to like the man you didn't have to know him personally. All you needed was to either see a picture of him or have watched him at work. When I 1st joined the company I now work on the very 1st day I was hired I was told that a man by the name of Lou Filippo worked in one of our brother divisions (they told me about him since at one point I brought up the fact that I followed boxing) I was told he was a funny, charasmatic man with a lot of storys to tell. 1 day I build myself up to ask around and see if anyone that I knew could introduce me to him. Well one day a co-worker of mine was retiring and they had a party for him my co-worker knew and talked to Lou Filippo speradicly at his party it was then that I was introduced to Lou Filippo and by then I had already done my research on him. As my co-worker and I walked towards Lou he happened to be there with his wife Pat as they introduced us and I shook his hand I said "You are Lou Filippo you were in the great fight agains Lauro Salas?" and he looked at me puzzled and almost confused as if to say 'How in the hell do you knoew that'... I said I know who you are sir and I am very pleased to meet you I said you also fought the great Carlos Ortiz and were giving him fits in both bouts. He smiled and said 'Well how does a young man like you know so much?' I said well for starters I love boxing and I've been following it for years and second I have 2 unlces who know awful lot of the sport also and finally the internet, he laughed and said well that explains that. He then said this is my wife Pat I said 'Hello it's a pleasure to meet you mam". Over the next 4 hrs. this man told me some of the greates boxing storys I have read/heard as I starred at his white snow filled eyesbrows and his white hair, I could see in the look of his eyes that this man had lived a full life of ups and downs good and bad moments a life filled with memories a life that not many people get to live he fought in the golden era of boxing and his fight storys were amazing. Even if you go to BoxRec and look up his record you wont recognize him and you won't be able to put a face to him. Finally we said good bye not before exchanging phone numbers and he said "Champ heres my number call me" we talked on and off as time permitted.

You more then likely still don't know who I'm talking about, well what if I told you not only is he an ex-boxer, a judge and a ref. hes also an actor.
    Hes in 5 movies you and I have seen hundreds of times. Hack it hes on there for a few minutes but hes on there. Lou Filippo appears in all of the Rocky movies as the referee in the fight sequences. He also appeared in the tv show The Next Great Champ. amongst other things.

A few months later I went to a boxing card at the Olympic Grand (which is now no longer having fights sad really) and he told me he'd be there judging the fights he said to call him when I was there and see what he could do for me as far as getting behind the scene and ringside. Well without hesitation I phoned him the second I got there, he said to me looks like we're gonna have a good time tonight. Sure enough as the fights went on I was able to walk with him to the back hall ways where fighters were getting ready and where they would come out through the tunnel. Because of Filippo I had a chance to talk to Lou Duva for a few minutes as when Filippo and I were talking Duva came by to say hello to him Lou introduced me to Duva as his friend and Lou told Duva 'Guess what this kid really knows his stuff, he knew about me and my fights with Salas & Ortiz' Duva without hesitation said 'He did?" If he knows about you then he knows boxing" poking fun at Lou they patted eachother on the back and shook hands...

Lou Filippo is a great man and I'm sure this is taring him apart his best friend and life companion has now moved on may she rest in peace and Lou my prayers and thoughts are with you and your wifes family.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ~May she rest in peace~

Awesome read! CC and RIP to his wife. Boxing events are filled with people like that and everytime I go I try to ask around a bit and figure out who is going to be there because those are the guys you can really learn from. I posted about it the other day but I had the chance to talk for a bit to a fighter named Johnny Gonsalves who's one of the best fighters ever to come out of San Francisco and that was really cool. The guy who tipped me off is the editor of a paper here who has really made the rounds in the sports world and he is one of those guys I call periodically just to talk boxing and we have had discussions literally hours on end. In fact the first time I met him we talked for 2 hours on first meeting on all sorts of fronts.

Really cool story CMM and deepest sympathies for Lou Fillippo. I've seen his name on boxrec quite a bit but have never learned about him.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

amat, how did I know you would be the 1st person to reply.
    I sware as I hit post I said I bet you (talking to myself) amats gonna be the 1st to reply.

Thanks man for taking the time to read this it really means a lot.
    I know exactly what you mean about some of the more lessor known people who are at events and will take the time to talk with ya and share some inside storys that you will never forget.

CC#739

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RIP! my condolensces

great read bro!

PS: yeah hes an OG legend in my eyes too bro!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    RIP! my condolensces

great read bro!

Thanks for taking the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    RIP! my condolensces

great read bro!

Thanks for taking the time.
    de nada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when I went to the Hall of Fame dinner in Los Angeles I remember Lou Fillipo there with his wife.. She was very nice I remember .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You were right i knew the name but couldn't put a face to it.
    Well sorry to hear the sad news and my condolences go out to Lou and his family.
    And thanks to you my friend for putting Lou out there for us to know about. There are many people like that, that do need to be recognized and thanked for everything that they provided, provide and will continue to provide for the sport. Again may she rest in peace and my condolences.
    Hidden Content It's Good To Be Back!! Hidden Content

ICB Guest

R.I.P best wishes to your family.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you ever take those F*cking shades off mate?
    Sounds a cool fella!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Sounds a cool fella!
    Lol - it's pitch black outside in that photo

Cool read CMM - sounds like a top fella
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC #1453....Good piece...I always liked Lou he is like boxing royalty the guy has been and done it all....Hope as else is well with him....Best to him and family
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Sounds a cool fella!
    Lol - it's pitch black outside in that photo

Cool read CMM - sounds like a top fella

His 'Gameshow host' teeth light up the way for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wasn't he in a rocky movie? I can't remember if i know him from a rocky movie or from an ali fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a nice guy, your lucky to have met him CMM. I wish Mr Filippo the best and may his wife rest in peace.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Thread Information