Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Da La Hoya ever been P4P number 1?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has Da La Hoya ever been P4P number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain
    floyd got the spot when bhop lost to j.t and there was no one but floyd that was close.
    Pac fans might argue that.
    i don't get it
    Well I'm slightly off but it was only 6mths after Hopkins lost that Manny KTFO Morales which it could be argued placed him at no.1.

The only 2 fights Floyd had that year before Hopkins lost was Gatti and Bruseles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    he was closest to that status during odlh vs tito

rjj even said i'll cut off one of my legs to make weight in order to fight tito!
    It'd probably help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar and Roy have had very different careers. Oscar fought better guys who were older for awhile.. yet Roy dominated more. if I had to say who was the better fighter I would say Roy. The way he beat James Toney and Virgil Hill was impressive. He beat them both differently. James he beat easily on points, and Virgil was doing better than James Toney yet he got stopped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a question. Is there an official p4p list? (I am not being sarcastic, I truely want to know)

I was under the impression that Mously was briefly concidered #1 before his loss to Forrest and Tito was considered by many #1 after his great run that ended when he faced Hopkins. Then Hopkins took over until his loss to JT. After that it was Floyd.

It was not Roy's loss to Tarver that took away his #1p4p status. It was because of the widely held opinion that he had not been truely challenged for several years.

As Larry Merchant put it once "The pound for pound list is more of a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately list"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo
    No the closest he came was in the late 90's but Roy Jones already had the position on lockdown for years.
    Agreed. Roy had that position locked down before De La Hoya achieved his biggest wins IMO
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan
    I have a question. Is there an official p4p list? (I am not being sarcastic, I truely want to know)

I was under the impression that Mously was briefly concidered #1 before his loss to Forrest and Tito was considered by many #1 after his great run that ended when he faced Hopkins. Then Hopkins took over until his loss to JT. After that it was Floyd.

It was not Roy's loss to Tarver that took away his #1p4p status. It was because of the widely held opinion that he had not been truely challenged for several years.

As Larry Merchant put it once "The pound for pound list is more of a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately list"
    You are right in some respect the p4p is definitely debateable at times but if you go back and compare their competition I think people in general were a little tough on Jones because he made such easy work of his opponents from Middleweight all the way up to Heavyweight.

Tito was a hell of a Welterweight but I don't think that ever earned the no. 1 spot.

Mosley wasn't considered until he beat Oscar and before he lost to Forrest he KO'd Diaz 35-2, Taylor 28-0 and Stone 30-3. In that time frame Jones KO'd Harding 19-0, Harmon 20-1 and Gonzalez 27-0. So I don't think with Jones previous accomplishments Mosley ever did enough to bump him from the spot.

Thread Information