Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather has not beat anyone great.

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Default Mayweather has not beat anyone great.

This is just a portion of a great article a friend sent me.

credit:
    www.maxboxing.com

Mayweather has never faced a household name in the ring.

He’s defeated some tough hombres, no doubt about that; he’s beat down some damn good fighters, but he’s never beat anyone that a general sports fan has ever heard of, or gives a rat’s ass about.

Mayweather may have the combination of talent, skill and technique that is on par with a prime Ray Leonard, but he’s nowhere near Sugar Ray’s league when it comes to notoriety, celebrity and mainstream acceptance.

Do you doubt this fact?

Here’s an easy litmus test. Ask a friend who doesn’t regularly follow boxing to tell you the two best fighters Sugar Ray Leonard ever beat.

Even a casual boxing fan can tell you the names of Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns. In fact, if you ask the fair-weather fight fan to provide another name from Leonard’s ledger he or she could give you the name of Roberto Duran.

Real quick: are Hagler, Hearns and Duran hall-of-fame fighters?

Well, duh, you know that Hagler’s already in there and that Duran was voted in last year. You don’t have to be Bert Sugar to know that the Hitman will be in there as soon as he’s eligible. And since you’re obviously a knowledgeable fan, you know that Leonard’s got another hall of famer on his record, Wilfred Benitez.

Real quick: are these guys all-time greats?

Without thinking too much, you can answer “at least two out of four”, right?

You know that Duran is considered to be the best lightweight of all time. You know that Hands of Stone was also a four-division champ. You know that Hagler is thought to be one of the top five middleweight champs of all time.

And though Hearns lost his biggest fights, those losses were memorable encounters with two of the best of his era (Leonard and Hagler), and he still managed to win world titles in five divisions. If the Hitman isn’t great, you know he’s on the cusp of greatness. Benitez, the wonderfully talented three-division titlist who was also the youngest champ in history, is not far from that cusp.

Now, try asking a friend to name the two best fighters Floyd Mayweather has defeated.

Unless you’re talking to a fellow fight fan chances are good that he or she will have no clue who Mayweather is. A general sports fan might know that he is a fighter; they might even know that he’s one of the best boxers in the world, but they probably won’t be able to tell you who he’s fought to attain that lofty status.

If you want an answer to that simple question you’ll have to ask a fellow fight freak, one of those diehard junkies that populate boxing message boards on the internet, buy subscriptions to The Ring and websites like this one, and are basically the life blood to a struggling sport.

Go ahead, ask a hardcore fan to name the two best fighters Mayweather has fought.

“Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo” will probably be the most common answer. Ask for two more names and you’ll likely get the names of Genaro Hernandez and Zab Judah.

Damn good fighters. All four are former two-time title holders; two are two-division champs.

But real quick, can your buddy tell you if any of those former world titlists are bound for the hall of fame?

Even a hardcore fight fanatic has to pause before answering. “Hmmm, Mayweather beat them, but who have they beat?”

Corrales and Castillo have wins over each other. Their first fight was an all-time great slugfest, however great fights don’t necessarily make great fighters (if that were the case, we’d be counting the months until Micky Ward’s hall of fame induction). Castillo has a victory over Steve Johnston. Corrales has a win over Joel Casamayor. Hernandez beat an old Azumah Nelson. Judah has a win over…, um, damn, who is the best guy Judah’s beat? Cory Spinks?

Is that hall-of-fame stuff? Judah certainly doesn’t qualify. As for the other three fighters, well, they aren’t first-ballot hall of famers, that’s for sure.

It’s not an entirely fair question. Three of the four fighters are still active (although a strong case could be made that Corrales is likely finished fighting at the world-class level), but the point is clear:

As of right now, Mayweather has not faced or defeated a single fighter that can be considered a hall-of-fame lock or that general sports recognize or care about.

Arturo Gatti is probably the best known fighter Mayweather has on his record. However, while Gatti made for dramatic fights and very good ratings on HBO, he was never a ticket seller outside of New Jersey, and even Thunder’s most loyal fans will admit that he was far from an elite boxer.

It’s taken 10 years, but this Saturday Mayweather is finally facing a fighter who was once considered elite (and may still be), is a hall-of-fame lock and is known by everyday folks who don’t even watch boxing.

It’s a very sad statement on our sport, but aside from Evander Holyfield, the Golden Boy is the last household name among active prize fighters. But unlike the Real Deal, De La Hoya is close enough to his prime where he can still generate mainstream media interest and create monster events like this weekend’s fight.

Although De La Hoya is 2-2 in his last four fights (and one of those victories was a close and disputed decision), and despite the fact that he has only fought once in the past two and half years, many fans and more than a few members of the media give him a good shot at being the first fighter to put a “1” in the loss column of Mayweather’s record.

Size is part of the reason people are giving De La Hoya the benefit of the doubt. The Golden Boy, who has campaigned at welterweight or higher for the last 10 years, is thought to be the naturally bigger fighter. However, the primary reason folks are giving a part-time boxer, full-time promoter a shot to win Saturday’s showdown is the same reason De La Hoya is a household name: he’s been in the ring with the best fighters of the past 15 years.

Who are the two best fighters De La Hoya has defeated?

You don’t have to be a hardcore fan to answer “Pernell Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez”.

Real quick: are those two multi-division champs hall of famers?

You don’t have to be Hank Kaplan to know the correct answer is a resounding YES. Sweet Pea will be enshrined in Canastota next month. Chavez will be inducted as soon as he’s eligible.

Real quick: are Whitaker and Chavez all-time greats?

It’s a lot harder to come up with reasons why they AREN’T great than reasons why they are. Of course, they are great fighters.

When De La Hoya beat them, he became part of their legends and began building his own.

Mayweather isn’t part of any great fighter’s legend – yet. His father fought Leonard. His uncle Roger fought both Whitaker and Chavez. (Hell, even Uncle Jeff fought De La Hoya early in the Golden Boy’s career.) And although Mayweather’s family members didn’t win those fights they can say something he can’t, they can say they fought the best fighters of their eras.

If Mayweather is to be considered the best fighter of his era by anybody outside of the small world of professional boxing then he MUST beat De La Hoya.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather has not beat anyone great.

I agree with what you say here to a point, let's give him the time and he's certainly getting the chance this weekend to do just that. DLH is a must for his legacy, it will be a difficult task for him to win no doubt, if he does then there is a lot of humble pie going to be eaten.
    Then it's Mosley!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah but then you ask "Were either Whitaker or Chavez in theit primes?"

And you get "no"

And then when you ask "And dont some or most people think Whitaker got robbed the decision?"

And you will get a "yes" this time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The article is right !

But we find out on Saturday how good Floyd Mayweather is and if he is talking about a massacre and beating 'Bitch' Dela Hoya then he better put up.

I pray to Almighty Jebus that Oscar whups him bad and humbles him !!!

I thoroughly detest Mayweather,before i was indifferent but after the 3rd edition of 24/7 my indifference has taken a deadly toxic turn and I'm even thinking of writing his management a letter to underline my displeasure .

That'll show em .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No Floyd hasn't beat any great fighters some decent ones but not the top of this generation...also IMO Floyd has ducked certain challengers or champions when seeking titles....It's not like he has fought nothing but stiffs but not the best he could have so far....EG--at 140 he made sure he targeted Gatti not Cotto or the other champs....He made sure he jumped up to 147 as Hatton jumped back to 140 ect...even though there was more money in a showdown with Ricky and Floyd could still make 140 with ease....

Not saying Floyd has ducked anyone but he hasn't gone out of his way either...

One thing can be said about Oscar...he has sought out the best actively....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckling Gordy

The article is right !

But we find out on Saturday how good Floyd Mayweather is and if he is talking about a massacre and beating 'Bitch' Dela Hoya then he better put up.

I pray to Almighty Jebus that Oscar whups him bad and humbles him !!!

I thoroughly detest Mayweather,before i was indifferent but after the 3rd edition of 24/7 my indifference has taken a deadly toxic turn and I'm even thinking of writing his management a letter to underline my displeasure .

That'll show em .
    The fighters came up at a different time.....PBF has never really had the opportunity to fight "HOF's"....and I think this is the reason ODLH will win......PBF is arguably the greatest fighter of this generation....but not of ODLH's generation........ODLH is by far the absolute best fighter PBF will ever face...is PBF the best ODLH has ever faced?....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

come on guys. this is just gonna be another topic where the people who dont like floyd slag him off and keep goin on about how he hasn't faught anyone, and the people that love him will defend him and make excuses for why which ever fights didnt happen. all the while the rest of us that are nutural with floyd cant get a word in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think people are being too hard on Floyd really.
    Arum wouldn't let Cotto and Floyd fight because he knew one of them were going to lose their winning streak and that means less $$$ for Bobby in the long run.
    Hatton avoided him twice or more (That is straight from from Ricky's mouth. ) because he didn't feel he was ready.
    Gatti was the WBC champ who many (including Bert Sugar) thought would give Floyd hell with his power.
    Castillo was the WBC champ who gave Floyd the fight of his life in the first fight, but credit to Floyd, he didn't flee from the challenge and rematched Castillo immediately, beating him convincingly the second time round.
    Corrales was regarded as one of the pound for pound best fighters in the game when he fought Floyd, everyone was split as to how the fight would go... we all know what happened in that one.
    Baldomir was regarded as the man at welterweight when Floyd fought him. Again, some people were sitting on the fence for this one. Baldomir had such a size advantage that many felt he would overwhelm Floyd... the opposite happened. Floyd schooled him from start to finish!
    Judah, for all his detractors is still a talented fighter when he actually bothers to get his head in check. It was in check for the Floyd fight, make no mistake. He got the better of Floyd early on before Floyd adapted to his style like true boxers always do and put on a clinic from round 4 onwards.
    He has fought a lot of good or decent fighters apart from these too... Jesus Chavez, Genaro Hernandez, Carlos Hernandez, Demarcus Corley and Philip N'dou were no pushovers. The fighters I only ever had a problem with him fighting were Bruseles and Mitchell to a lesser extent, but apart from that I have no problems with his record.
    There are top fighters out there with worse records than Floyd and they never get the bad mouthing that he receives. There are also fighters out there with better records, but Floyd could add a major victory to his list on Saturday night if he has his way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well it is true most great fighters have beaten great fighters but Floyd really didn't have anyone great to beat to be honest. And Genaro Hernandez is good and Corrales and Castillo also. Let's be fair. Fact is that now we will see where Floyd belongs, in two short days. I think he will pass the test. These superfights really take alot out of two guys. In a normal timed fight no one is burned out mentally, but in all the hype and press that can really wear out a fighter and change the outcome. So much is at stake . Part of me doesn't think Oscar deserves this fight. He has been given alot of chances to beat guys at the top and has not. He is good but this fight he could win on size alone. I really think Floyd will come on top. Funny how these articles are coming out now since we will find out what happens when he fights someone good in a few days. Thing is I think Vernon Forrest would be more of a threat at this weight than Oscar. Stylewise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Floyd will have his day. Even if he looses to DLH, I don't think he will retire, if he continues on as Welterweight he has some great fights srill ahead of him. There is Mously, there is whoever wins between Margo-Williams-Cotto-Judah....I hope its not Judah hehehe, there is Cintron, there is Clotey I would like to see more of Berto before I add him to the list but he is a good young prospect.

There is a LOT of money and o lot of legacy to be made at WW now and I don't think PBF is stupid enough to retire now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mute points in 2 days when Floyd beats up everyones hero

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

most irrelavant shit i've ever read.

first of this isn't the 80's. Boxing isn't a major sport anymore. You say PBF hasn't fought any househould names but lets not forget that PBF isn't even a Household name and his the undefeated # 1 P4P best fighter. i say this to say that there aren't really any Household name fighters in the sport any more.

also the the old Vernon might be more of a threat to PBF but the current vernon would get embarrass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when i think of floyd i think of him being a waste of talent. he doesn't clean out divisions he just studies good boxers flaws and uses his knowledge to showcase his skill. I mean he's good in every area but he has a little heart he's extremely cautious, he doesn't clean out division he just hand picks studied opponents. Floyd always says boxer dont wanna fight him.... you mean to tell me that if he stayed at welter it wouldn't be one fight who could match up with him good?..... he's not superman. He's ready to beat Oscar up and maybe he will maybe he wont but he needs to fight more elite fighters someone like mosley.... or just clean out a division like a warrior fight everyone then maybe but right now i just dislike his heart he needs big fights with elite fighters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all know what gonna happen. even after PBF beats oscar they will still say he hasn't fought anybody. The Oscar fans/PBF haters who say Oscar is his first test and that oscar is the first quality fighter PBF has fought since 2002 change. They'll say Oscar was old and some other bullshit to take away from PBF win.

on a side note. the only thing that i question about this fight is how PBF handles 154. Other than that i was more worried when he fought Zab. Beatin Oscar doesn't mean as much now as it did when tito and shane did it. Oscar isn't the same fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Castillo (twice)

Thread Information