Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: If each fighter could be resurrected in their prime for one fight against a no-name today, who would

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Would Draw More Viewers Today: Sugar Ray Robinson or Rocky Marciano

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who Would Draw More Viewers Today: Sugar Ray Robinson or Rocky Marciano

Each fighter has become a million times more legendary after their deaths, and 99.999% of people today never even saw so much as a tape of a single fight from either, just highlights. If each prime fighter could come back and fight an irrelevant challenger, who would more people watch?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who Would Draw More Viewers Today: Sugar Ray Robinson or Rocky Marciano

I think SRR would especially with his style of fighting and being able to move through different weight classes....
    With Marciano just staying at Heavy. and possibly (for the purpose of the thread) take a shot at a Cruiser title....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who Would Draw More Viewers Today: Sugar Ray Robinson or Rocky Marciano

If Marciano - Walcott took place tomorrow, it would outdraw any Robinson fight ever could just because of his race and ethnicity, then throw in the fact that he is one of the most hardnosed boxers ever, yeah, Marciano definitely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually think the numbers might be pretty close to even for these reasons:

A great White fighter will always have a bigger fanbase than a great fighter of any other ethnicity (Cooney had way more fans than Holmes when they fought).

However, Robinson is the greatest fist fighter who ever lived, and no matter what your ethnicity, the title of 'greatest of all time' will give you a bigger fanbase than any other title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    If Marciano - Walcott took place tomorrow, it would outdraw any Robinson fight ever could just because of his race and ethnicity, then throw in the fact that he is one of the most hardnosed boxers ever, yeah, Marciano definitely.
    That's not what the question's asking. It's specifically calling on both fights to be against no-name fighters, as that is the only true way to gauge a fighters real drawing power.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I know and the answer is still Marciano imo. Just ask anyone who Ray Robinson is and chances are you get a lot of blank stares, Marciano is practically a household name even after all these years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If going by this ideology, Marciano-Walcott would get demolished box office-wise by Robinson-LaMotta (especially after the iconic status of the movie Raging Bull).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I know and the answer is still Marciano imo. Just ask anyone who Ray Robinson is and chances are you get a lot of blank stares, Marciano is practically a household name even after all these years.
    Sorry man, this is a flat out, bold faced lie. There isn't anyone who knows who Rocky Marciano is who DOESN'T know Ray Robinson, and vice versa. Thinking you'd get a blank stare when someone mentions Ray Robinson would be like thinking you'd get a blank stare when someone mentions Magic Johnson.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No man I'm sorry but it's really not, case and point, I just literally asked my mom if she knew who Robinson was, she didn't know what I was talking about and then I asked her about Marciano and she said it was the boxer. Americans just aren't as schooled as they should be when it comes to boxing. Magic Johnson played in the 80's and 90's, Robinson boxed a long time before that.

Most of my friends didn't know who Robinson was before I showed them Robinson but they all knew the name Marciano and that he was a boxer. I'm not saying Robinson is some type of unknown, but he doesn't have the name recognition of Marciano. Say Sugar Ray and I bet you more people point to Leonard then they do Robinson unless the are a real boxing fan...which there aren't many of anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No man I'm sorry but it's really not, case and point, I just literally asked my mom if she knew who Robinson was, she didn't know what I was talking about and then I asked her about Marciano and she said it was the boxer. Americans just aren't as schooled as they should be when it comes to boxing. Magic Johnson played in the 80's and 90's, Robinson boxed a long time before that.

Most of my friends didn't know who Robinson was before I showed them Robinson but they all knew the name Marciano and that he was a boxer. I'm not saying Robinson is some type of unknown, but he doesn't have the name recognition of Marciano. Say Sugar Ray and I bet you more people point to Leonard then they do Robinson unless the are a real boxing fan...which there aren't many of anymore.
    No offense man, but I think everyone can see you're a liar.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I might be wrong, in fact I tend to be wrong a lot. Maybe Robinson does have name recognition over Marciano, but I'm not lying. I don't even see what I could be lying about My mom? That's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    I might be wrong, in fact I tend to be wrong a lot. Maybe Robinson does have name recognition over Marciano, but I'm not lying. I don't even see what I could be lying about My mom? That's ridiculous.
    I honestly can't believe anyone is even arguing with you on this. Marciano, despite being nowhere near the talent of Robinson, clearly has WAY BIGGER name recognition, at least in the U.S. Chiefly because he was white; but also to some extent because he fought at heavyweight. I think the Rocky movies (despite not being based on him) also have something to do with it. People see those movies, poke around to see if there was a real "rocky" and quickly learn about Marciano.

You are absolutely right that most non-boxing fans think Leonard when they hear "Sugar Ray." And plenty of them have no idea who Robinson is. Sad but true.
    Last edited by shza; 03-23-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

amat, Babe Ruth played baseball long before both Magic and Robinson, and everyone knows him still. It's the name that is iconic. The name 'Sugar Ray Robinson' is part of pop-culture, much the same as Pele, Jordan, Ali, and yes, Marciano. Truth be told, each fighter probably would not be well recognized today by their face. I'd be willing to bet if you showed people a black and white headshot of each of them (and even gave them a clue that these are two historic athletes), some people might answer Willy Mays and Roger Maris or something like that It's because, as the original post mentioned, most people today never watched a fight from either of them.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was my point exactly though, you mentioned that if you showed a picture nobody knows who either person is. But the name Marciano tops Sugar Ray imo. Basically the only point I disagree with you on is that Robinson is embedded in pop culture. Based off experiences I've had anyways with friends and everything who knew Sugar Ray from the Contender. And then they just knew the name Marciano was a boxer but probably couldn't tell me if he was alive or not.

Not that I've ever brought up Robinson vs Marciano but that's just the point I'm trying to make. In fact, if you ask most people who the greatest boxer is they would say Ali. I don't think either Robinson or Marciano are embedded into pop culture but maybe that's just where I'm at or my age or whatever. But Marciano is such a distinctive name and he's so revered by white people (reminds me of Coming to America ) that I think he draws more viewers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me it would be Rocky, everyone loves hard punching street-fighters

Thread Information