Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US Military - Boxing training manual

If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks (again) Chris. Now I have copy that is readable.

lklawson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sardineking View Post
    Chris do you think I could get a copy of Boxing" by Edwin L. Haislet? Thanks.
    All thanks to the effort of Kirk Lawson who republished and re-transcribed the book.][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    OK, I've repubed a new (old) boxing manual that I want to let everyone know about and this is a cheap way to bump my post-count. Sux, but those are the forum rules so I have to live by them.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

lklawson Guest

It's a shame that there isn't a generalized forum for other manuals, such as antique wrestling manuals. I have a ton of them too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello, this may sound ridiculous but could someone give me a summary of the books and manuels talked about on here and how i can obtain copies? I have skimmed through here and tried some posts and a couple didnt work. I would really like to read these manuals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Start here:

Boxing History and Ring Science Ebooks (with an explanation of most of them):
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ce-ebooks.html

The thread is in the Important and Useful Posts Subforum (of Ask the Trainer)
    Important / Useful Posts

Personally I love the Dempsey, Haislett, Frazier, Champ Thomas, & Inside the Ring (Ross Enamait) book -- the fairly modern books on actual technique. I have learned so much from reading, and re-reading these books.

By 'modern' I mean anything that deals with the general sport that uses something approaching modern rules and modern techniques.

Dempsey's book is about as good as you can find on the subject and it is from about 1950, 50 or 60 years ago.

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I briefly summarized a few of the books earlier in this thread. Herb posted the link to the thread that I referred to. I need to fix some of the books in that thread. In the past a forum glitch prevented me from editing some of the posts, but I should be able to now. In the meantime for the Haislet book, d/l it from Kirk Lawson's storefront. It's great.

Anyway, if you have the time, it's worth going through the older manuals as well. These old-timers deserve respect as they had to contend with harsher conditions than what is given today. There are moves that can be learned from the old manuals are still applicable in ring if given the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lklawson
    It's a shame that there isn't a generalized forum for other manuals, such as antique wrestling manuals. I have a ton of them too.
    Hey Kirk, do you recall Stickgrappler's forum? I think that your books would've found a nice home there. I think the archives of it is still around, would've been nice if that forum was still active though.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 08-06-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh yes thank you so much!! There is so much good stuff in here the only time i will leave the computer is to go to the gym lol. Seriously thank you so much herb for the link and the help once again and chris thank you for all the posts in that thread. You both are very generous with your knowledge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris is 'da Man'.

I haven't seen many posts from him in recent weeks, but he has been EXTREMELY helpful to me ever since I started visiting these forums, specifically in responding to my questions, in posts intended to share his knowledge with everyone, and in his posts of book links where I learned so much.

A good strategy on learning here, would be to search on Chris Nagal's name and read most anything he wrote.

--

HerbM

lklawson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Hey Kirk, do you recall Stickgrappler's forum? I think that your books would've found a nice home there. I think the archives of it is still around, would've been nice if that forum was still active though.
    Yeah, Stickgrappler is a great guy. The first electronic version of Dempsey I found was on his site.

He still blogs occasionally but is a family man so that eats a lot of his time.

I guess it was really just an idle thought.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Chris N,

I am new to this site (and to the sport of boxing), and discovered your post saying that you had a copy of "Boxing" by Edwin L Haislet. I was curious if you still had that and would be willing to send me a pdf (or whatever format it's in)? I want to learn more about the sport of boxing, and will likely buy a book on it, but it seems that Edwin's book may have some pretty good information.

Thanks for your time!

Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    That's nice Diz, have a CC.

I've read that one a long time back, nothing new or interesting. It has a few general strategems for fighting against different styles. Thanks for posting this.

The best book on the subject that I've found was produced by the navy. It has different sequences of counters, like the ones that greynotsoold posted, also shows youd different techniques that are no longer taught today. There's reprints available. I got myself a copy for 12 bucks.

I have some useful ebooks regarding sponsorships and boxing if anyone's interested.
    what are those books about sponsorships and boxing about? i would be interested in seeing them.

Thread Information