Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default US Military - Boxing training manual

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I was downloading a few things and came across this.

As the topic says, it's a training manual given to boxers that are in the US Military.

I've had a little bit of a browse over it and some of it could be interesting reading.

It's a small file so I figured i'd upload it for people to download.

http://www.geocities.com/cillenmolin/boxing_manual.pdf
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US Military - Boxing training manual

That's nice Diz, have a CC.

I've read that one a long time back, nothing new or interesting. It has a few general strategems for fighting against different styles. Thanks for posting this.

The best book on the subject that I've found was produced by the navy. It has different sequences of counters, like the ones that greynotsoold posted, also shows youd different techniques that are no longer taught today. There's reprints available. I got myself a copy for 12 bucks.

I have some useful ebooks regarding sponsorships and boxing if anyone's interested.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks.. Yeah grey was a bit of a training manual himself when it came down to applying techniques to certain situations...

I only had a quick look of that PDF as I was busy with other stuff, mainly just the table of contents which had as you said, the parts about fighting different styles..
    I've got a great e-book that lists a LOT of counters.. I've gone though a hard drive or 2 since I first got it though so it may have bene lost in the process. But i'll have a look and post if it pops up.

Also, does anyone remember the one posted quite a while back that had really good sketches of the moves and the guys in the sketches were on like a grid?? That had some great punches and counters. I know I printed it but i'll try to find a copy of that as well. Unless someone knows the one i'm talking about.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually Diz, Grey as he mentioned himself used a boxing manual on here, often at times he spoke from memory, but a lot of times referred back to the book for details. He even told exactly the name of book, and it's author. It's "Boxing" by Edwin L. Haislet. I've scanned a copy of the book. If anyone is interested just pm me and I'll send you a copy.

It's a good book, it shows you how to move, punch and a lot of defensive techniques that are absent in the gyms and instructionals that are shown now a days. The only thing that it's too thin on is the different shifts (drop shift, rear shift, quickshift) which if mastered gives you a big edge over your opposition.

I also have a copy of Jack Dempsey's Championship fighting and Explosive Defense, it's not as technical as Haislet's, but it contains a lot of his insights when it comes to punching.

In my humble opinion, this is the only technical boxing book worth buying:

"An interesting comparison can be made by looking at two different boxing training manuals one published in 2000 and the other published in 1943 (Naval Aviation Training Manual 1st edition). The old National Police Gazette’s often had famous boxers demonstrate their techniques. Some of these types of techniques can be seen in the Naval Aviator boxing manual but are absent from the modern instruction book. The modern manual is not at all bad showing parries, covering, and ducking, slipping, as well as shoulder and forearm blocks. The older book however also explains stopping (or pinning/trapping), cuffing, weaving, shifting (quick shift, drop shift, rear shift), folding, and open glove blocking –catching the opponent’s leads in the butt of the glove. The older masters had a greater variety of defensive techniques at their disposal than what is being taught in most gyms today."

You look at the fighters that knew these techniques and you'll be picking out names like Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, McCallum, Floyd Mayweather Jr. Watching them in action you can see the skills that separated them from their competition.

I know what you're talking about. Anyways I posted that manual that contains all the sketches of some good techniques which is presented with a grid. I'm surprised you didn't notice it, it's right above your post "Are you too old for boxing" I also have it in pdf which you can download, which I have made available in that post.

If you could take a few minutes out of your day to find that e-book full of counters I'd really appreciate it. I can send you some great e-books in return.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nuh I didn't notice that manual still on here but i'm going to go download it now as I havn't a clue where my copy is.. good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris N i was wondering if you might be able to send me c copy of that Boxing by " Edwin L Haislet"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's no problem at all. Check your private message box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Chris,
    Would you mind sending me the Edwin Haislet book too? I've been looking for it all over. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello everyone and hi Chris..
    I was wondering if I could get a copy of the Edwin Haislets book too :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've just googled Edwin Haislet and couldn't find anything on him - was he a great boxer I should know about?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He wrote a manual on boxing in 1940,that discusses the importance of balance,it was his writings on that aspect of the sport that would be a huge influence on the younger Bruce Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow thanks Monkey - I forget sometimes how much history there is in boxing. I didn't know Bruce Lee drew inspiration from boxing either - although I know disgustingly little about Bruce Lee.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Wow thanks Monkey - I forget sometimes how much history there is in boxing. I didn't know Bruce Lee drew inspiration from boxing either - although I know disgustingly little about Bruce Lee.
    Most martial arts,if practiced traditionally,fight from the cat stance,or the horse stance,Lee was up on his toes alot.
    Thats probably where he got the idea from

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    He wrote a manual on boxing in 1940,that discusses the importance of balance,it was his writings on that aspect of the sport that would be a huge influence on the younger Bruce Lee
    It wasn't a discussion on balance per say, it was aboxing manual that covered everything from punches, stance, counters/sequences and some nuances that are no longer taught today. Anyways Edwin L. Haislet was a boxing coach that trained golden gloves fighters and over the years had gathered what he new and wrote a boxing manual on it.

His book didn't influence a younger Bruce Lee either. Bruce Lee in the beginning was brought up in Wing Chun. He was very analytical and was interested in many books, practitioners, and different media covering the martial arts. As he grew older he began to phase away from Wing Chun forms and began incorporating a lot of boxing methods, even studying fights by Ali, Willy Pep, an other fighters. There's no point in making a discussion our of it.

He was no innovator or original thinker, but I believe he was objective enough as to see things as an original observer. In otherwords, asking the right questions and trying finding all the right answers.

He quoted Haislet's print almost word by word, along with copying the words of Jack Dempsey from Dempsey's manual and everything else that suited his interests. Fencing has a lot of applications that are suitable for boxing. Although much of the moves are different, some of the methods and tactics still apply. Example feinting to provoke a parry and preceding to counter, control of the distance/pace, and the tempo/cadence/rhythem these are things that great fighters like Pep, Ali, and other great fighters have found on their own. Bruce Lee was able to find it, it's not burried you can find them out for yourself. The moves and techniques are meaningless, knowing isn't enough as understanding them and being able to apply them on a moment's notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    It wasn't a discussion on balance per say, it was aboxing manual that covered everything from punches, stance, counters/sequences and some nuances that are no longer taught today. Anyways Edwin L. Haislet was a boxing coach that trained golden gloves fighters and over the years had gathered what he new and wrote a boxing manual on it.

His book didn't influence a younger Bruce Lee either. Bruce Lee in the beginning was brought up in Wing Chun. He was very analytical and was interested in many books, practitioners, and different media covering the martial arts. As he grew older he began to phase away from Wing Chun forms and began incorporating a lot of boxing methods, even studying fights by Ali, Willy Pep, an other fighters. There's no point in making a discussion our of it.

He was no innovator or original thinker, but I believe he was objective enough as to see things as an original observer. In otherwords, asking the right questions and trying finding all the right answers.

He quoted Haislet's print almost word by word, along with copying the words of Jack Dempsey from Dempsey's manual and everything else that suited his interests. Fencing has a lot of applications that are suitable for boxing. Although much of the moves are different, some of the methods and tactics still apply. Example feinting to provoke a parry and preceding to counter, control of the distance/pace, and the tempo/cadence/rhythem these are things that great fighters like Pep, Ali, and other great fighters have found on their own. Bruce Lee was able to find it, it's not burried you can find them out for yourself. The moves and techniques are meaningless, knowing isn't enough as understanding them and being able to apply them on a moment's notice.
    Actually Chris the things from his manual that seemed to intrest Lee the most involved balance
    Honestly,fencing as its currently done,is for shit,youd be better off with the SCA which at least involves full contact

Thread Information