Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US Military - Boxing training manual

Chris do you think I could get a copy of Boxing" by Edwin L. Haislet? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sardineking View Post
    Chris do you think I could get a copy of Boxing" by Edwin L. Haislet? Thanks.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

[Edit: There is a better copy available here: Boxing by Haislet Edwin L. in Sports & Adventure All thanks to the effort of Kirk Lawson who republished and re-transcribed the book.]
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 10-10-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was just seaching for 'Boxing by EDWIN L. HAISLET' & 'INTRAMURAL BOXING AY 01-02' found this thread
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jim, check out the Ebooks thread in the training subsection. It has much more boxing books than you might ever read.

Btw, Kirk Lawson has re-transcribed the Edwin Haislet book, and I supplied him with the missing page that was absent in my original raw scans. The link to his lulu storefront is in the ebooks thread. Did I mention that the ebooks are free?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Jim, check out the Ebooks thread in the training subsection. It has much more boxing books than you might ever read.

Btw, Kirk Lawson has re-transcribed the Edwin Haislet book, and I supplied him with the missing page that was absent in my original raw scans. The link to his lulu storefront is in the ebooks thread. Did I mention that the ebooks are free?
    That's a coincidence, I had already found it on that lulu website. But yeah, i'll check out the Ebooks section... That sort of thing fascinates me (boxing, in theory)

Thanks man
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris, can you point me in the direction of aquiring Naval Aviation Training Manual 1st edition? I have been dying to read it since I heard about it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can find a good deal for it on Amazon.com. It's not available in ebook form. If you want to view the original source, try Edwin L. Haislet's book. Haislet's ebook has been republished and can be viewed or purchased from Kirk Lawson's Lulu storefront.

The 1943 US Navel Aviation's Boxing, is a near-verbatim reprint of Haislet's book with several additions. An interesting addition is the chapter on feinting and drawing, clinching and infighting. The book outlines more combinations, and contains more details on the drop-shift, triples, as well as shifts. The photographs are nice, although they advocate a more 'square' stance than I would recommend.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Ever see the SCA?
    Youd see where Id discount fencing,mind Fencing is part of it,but we discount the guys who only do that
    Trust me son,I know very well what a gorget is,I have 4 different ones
    I know what a halbred is,
    I own a bacinet
    My son is named after the king of the Visigoths
    I know more different styles then just about anyone i know,thats not being cocky,that just is
    Your 19 years old and cocky
    Im alot older
    You try to discount me,but Ive spent my whole life abtaining martial knowledge,and guess what? Ive had longer to do it.
    The origin of the white and the black belt.
    Novices where handed white belts,over time they dirtied as they studied
    You are joke. If this is what you've come up with after spending your whole life "abtaining" (not a word by the way) martial knowledge, then your age is a badge of shame.

You own a "halbred"? (another non-word) If you tell me you own a piano, am I to believe you are Art Tatum reborn? What the heck has ANY name you might have given your son have to do with anything? You know more styles than anyone you know of? What's the point? Want to get on the cover of a joke magazine like BLACK BELT? The origin of the black and white belt has nothing to do with the myth you perpetuate. The belt hierarchy was instated by Jigoro Kano as a way to help disseminate judo.

Chris Nagel is one of the most self-effacing people I have had the pleasure to observe on the internet, despite possessing a precocious boxing intellect. To attack him is just showing what a jackass you really are.

This is an old post, and I sure hope somebody already tore you a new A-hole somewhere else on the forum for being such a pompous turd.
    To the brave belong all things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Dadi. As you may have suspected, Trainer Monkey is no long an active part of this board. Eventually he started getting criticized for his comments and soon thereafter left of his own accord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the Edwin Haislets e book, ive been looking for something like this for the last 3 years or so thanks alot guys

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WayneFlint View Post
    Thanks for the Edwin Haislets e book, ive been looking for something like this for the last 3 years or so thanks alot guys
    You're welcome. It's a very good book, I refer to it often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneFlint View Post
    You're welcome. It's a very good book, I refer to it often.
    could i ask what other books you find usefull? you seem to have a lot of knowledge of boxing and i am kind of self training as there are no good boxing gyms around here to take lessons, ive been training a while now and my form is ok id just really like to find out some more set ups i think theyre called like ''the outside triple'' and also i think its called ''drop shifting'' is really good ive been using it during sparring with a left hook or jab/cross for a while now without the short step back with the lead foot, but now trying it with the short drop back of the lead foot is working out a lot smoother for me, i found that a lot of things ihave learned from this book i have been able to use to great effect in sparring straight away thank you again and sorry for the bad grammar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Wayne. There are a couple more books that I can recommend. There's Curtis Cokes' The Complete Book of Boxing, and J.C. Thomas' How to Be an Ass-Whipping Boxer. Curtis Cokes' book is great, you'll want to read it with a pen in hand as there are a lot of parts that should be highlighted and reread multiple times. You'll probably become eager to get the ideas off of the page and into actual practice.

In J.C. Thomas's book, he advocates a stance akin to George Benton and the Mayweathers. He often speaks with a self-promotional tone, but the techniques that he teaches makes the book rewarding. However it's not a book for beginners.

You should also browse the Boxing E-books thread in the Important/Useful posts section. There's a couple more interesting books that you'll want to read, see Jack Dempsey's Championship Fighting, and Ross Enamait's In The Ring.

As for picking up new moves and incorporating it into your boxing, one of the best ways is to watch good fighters and try to incorporate their moves into your style. Remember that some of the moves won't work for you, but if you find something that impresses you should practice it. Also realize that watching fighters on your screen is different when you're standing in front of an opponent. The real learning is when you try out different things in the ring. Watch as many fights as you can. Get yourself some favorites, and watch some guys that you would like to emulate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you for your reply mate, ive just had a glance at the useful post section i cant believe i missed it before its like finding a gold mine so much material, i think ill go for the J.C. Thomas book first as i seemd to naturally box out of a crouch and shoulder roll a lot when i first started sparring before i even knew what it was that i was doing, so maybe that style will suit me?. im still enjoying studying the E.L. Haislet book, plenty to learn and try and encorporate into my sparring sessions yet til im ready to move on to the next book, thanks again for the references and advice mate its much appreciated and u can bet ill be back picking ur brain again sometime in the near future :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The link given in Dizaster's original post now seems to be dead:

http://www.geocities.com/cillenmolin/boxing_manual.pdf

(And because Geocities serves up a default web page this won't be obvious until one actually tries to open the pdf.)

Does anyone have this or a link to it?

Thanks in advance...

--
    HerbM

Thread Information