Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Which do you believe as money better spent for main events?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penny For Penny which fight was better (main event consideration only)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Penny For Penny which fight was better (main event consideration only)

(As unbiased as i'm capable of being) Only considering the main event as if it was the only fight on their respective cards which was money better spent?

I'll admit for damn near $60 after taxes there better be a fireworks show afterwards or some S*** like that but i didn't order the fight expecting a Knockout. I ordered it expecting to see (oscar win a decision but more seriously) Floyd show great technical boxing and oscar cutting off the ring and pressuring floyd. For the most part thats what happened and i thought it was a pretty good fight which lasted for approx. 47 minutes. (I'm saying roughly $1.25 a minute)

Now for $40 (which is a more reasonable price for a ppv event) i'm sure you were expecting a knockout being that both these guys are the definition of ko artists in mma and you got your knockout. Only knock against this is it lasted under 2 minutes. ($20 a minute)

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: Penny For Penny which fight was better (main event consideration only)

LMAO!
    I did not even watch the MMA fight but I bet it was better than PBF/ODLH
    No doubt about it.
    Jackson said he would destroy Chuck and he did.

PBF said he would masacre ODLH and Oscar came out of that fight with nothing more than a scratch.

This is why this sport does not need pretty fighters who are worried about getting their hair messed up.

If fighters like PBF and Corey Spinks continue to fight or not fight for this matter, the sport will only get worse.
    We need fighters. We need people who are willing to trade and let their hands go.

We need fighters, not running men marathon artists.

We need warriors like Pavlik and Miranda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Penny For Penny which fight was better (main event consideration only)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    LMAO!
    No doubt about it.

PBF said he would masacre ODLH and Oscar came out of that fight with nothing more than a scratch.

This is why this sport does not need pretty fighters who are worried about getting their hair messed up.

If fighters like PBF and Corey Spinks continue to fight or not fight for this matter, the sport will only get worse.
    We need fighters. We need people who are willing to trade and let their hands go.

Yeah I'll agree. I'm a fan of a good technical fighter but in my opinion they gotta be capable of throwing combos on the inside and not being afraid to trade alitlle. I'd rather see a good technical fighter slow it down alittle than see an unrefined bum Just throw like crazy (like i witness im amature events twice a year) and get ktfo in 2 minutes after hes spent.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

De La Hoya - Mayweather by far. Chuck ran for 2 minutes, they had 1 change and it was over. Fans were booing at Chuck running, Rampage put his hands out and then when they finally did engage it was over like that. Mayweather - De La Hoya was exciting, it had drama. This was Chuck staying away, coming in once, moving out and getting KO'd. That's it.

Plus, I'm sure a lot of people will argue it was stopped to soon since Chuck did.

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    De La Hoya - Mayweather by far. Chuck ran for 2 minutes, they had 1 change and it was over. Fans were booing at Chuck running, Rampage put his hands out and then when they finally did engage it was over like that. Mayweather - De La Hoya was exciting, it had drama. This was Chuck staying away, coming in once, moving out and getting KO'd. That's it.
    Chuck the chicken?
    Fire his azz Dana!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuck the chicken?
    Fire his azz Dana!
    Wait you actually have like a working contract with mma companies instead of just a license?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He wasn't the chicken by any means, he was just trying to make Rampage come to him. But he got KO'd with no excitement whatsoever in the fight. Really anticlimactic. De La Hoya - Mayweather was solid, it wasn't a bad fight, it was tense and had drama. It wasn't spectacular but it was what it was. Fairly enjoyable for the average fan. This was basically 1 punch in 2 minutes and it was over.

Plus, I'm sure a lot of people will argue it was stopped to fast, even though it wasn't, because Chuck did.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Chuck the chicken?
    Fire his azz Dana!
    Wait you actually have like a working contract with mma companies instead of just a license?
    Yeah. UFC has Chuck. Cro Cop didn't sign for a long time because he didn't like the exclusivity. He still has 3 more fights with the UFC. That has been a big detractor and what has spurned on the UFC vs Pride debuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats crap with a boxing license you can fight any fighter regardless of which division they're ranked in. I hope* this will become a problem if the ufc doesn't keep a monopoly on the market.

*Carrie underwood and my half a mil dollar car aren't coming so i'm wishing bad on the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LMAO!
    No doubt about it.

We need warriors like Pavlik and Miranda

saying that will just provoke another fan by saying "such and such just runs" is the single dumbest thing ever written on this forum.. hahahah

anyhoo.. CC to you for saying it like it is
    "speed is the essence of war"
    sun tzu-art of war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats crap with a boxing license you can fight any fighter regardless of which division they're ranked in. I hope* this will become a problem if the ufc doesn't keep a monopoly on the market.

*Carrie underwood and my half a mil dollar car aren't coming so i'm wishing bad on the enemy.
    I think there is a larger problem with that. You have to play by the UFC rules, not the ones in the ring, or you get fired. You dont have the ability of people to come along like Bernard Hopkins who made his own path, instead you have essentially one company, and very few people within that, making all the decisions. What they say is good for MMA will just have to be what happens to MMA in America. If UFC fails as a company for whatever reason there are a lot of fans who are failed because there is no real system in place to arrange MMA bouts besides other smaller companies. One off fight deals between names won't be able to be shown frequently on television unless its PPV but thatd slow down quick. During the immediate fall of UFC without the proper structure in place for MMA in America, there would be so much fragmenting at such an early stage, I think even 15 years from now, of MMA in America would possibly bury it at least as a serious cross market sport. If any one promoter or even every major promoter at the moment in boxing were to just go away there would be a system that would allow for bouts to continue to be arranged as quick as two fighters could be ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by global

I think there is a larger problem with that. You have to play by the UFC rules, not the ones in the ring, or you get fired. You dont have the ability of people to come along like Bernard Hopkins who made his own path, instead you have essentially one company, and very few people within that, making all the decisions. What they say is good for MMA will just have to be what happens to MMA in America. If UFC fails as a company for whatever reason there are a lot of fans who are failed because there is no real system in place to arrange MMA bouts besides other smaller companies. One off fight deals between names won't be able to be shown frequently on television unless its PPV but thatd slow down quick. During the immediate fall of UFC without the proper structure in place for MMA in America, there would be so much fragmenting at such an early stage, I think even 15 years from now, of MMA in America would possibly bury it at least as a serious cross market sport. If any one promoter or even every major promoter at the moment in boxing were to just go away there would be a system that would allow for bouts to continue to be arranged as quick as two fighters could be ready.
    exactly the ufc is one huge promoter instead of one stabalized sport with multiple sanctioning bodies and promoters. If the wba gets blown off the planet the sport will go on. Now that i think about it, maybe its better to have too many promoters and sanctioning bodies than not enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not only that, if there's other orgs that challenge them for the spotlight they'd both have their respective champions and rules so then comes the issue about multiple titles and which one really means anything? And in order to get these fights to prove it they'd have to both absolutely agree on the title matches.  this is gonna be fun to watch. Honestly if UFC doesn't globally monopolize mma, the whole sport will implode on itself.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I preferred the De La Hoya Mayweather main event to the Liddell Rampage fight BUT as an entire card UFC 71 beat it. So many great fights on the undercard, a really enjoyable event and cheaper too.

I'd score it 2-1 to the UFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I preferred the De La Hoya Mayweather main event to the Liddell Rampage fight BUT as an entire card UFC 71 beat it. So many great fights on the undercard, a really enjoyable event and cheaper too.

I'd score it 2-1 to the UFC
    There you go changing the rules  I said main event only

Thread Information