Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "The Magic Man" Marlon Starling

Just finished watching his second fight against Mark Breland, wasn't terribly exciting but it being the first Marlon Starling fight I'd ever watched, I watched it anyway. This guy looked to fight a lot like Glen Johnson to me. High guard, plodding forward, outworking his opponents. By looking at his record I can see he must have been a great fighter to have KO'd Breland, TKO'd Lloyd Honeyghan, and barely lost late in his career to Michael Nunn. Anyone know much about him, I never hear anyone talk about him.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "The Magic Man" Marlon Starling

He was a great great fighter. But one thing he will always be remembered for is being knocked out after the bell and afterwards in his interview with Larry Merchant saying he was never knocked down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Magik Man was a very good WW. I followed him a while when there still was some exiting boxing on television en Holland, courtecy of Eurosport. His win against Breland is not a good measuring stick. Breland wasn't that good to begin with. He handled "Raggamuffin"Lloyd Honeygan with ease. That knock out after de bell was scandalous. I can't remember, was it a DQ ?
    Help me out guys !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought he was a great boxer, especially behind that high guard - a good model for young fighters.
    He was trained by Eddie Futch and Freddie Roach and there was a famous quote made by Futch, who,when Marlon was a pain the ass, said: ``Marlon I taught you all you know but I haven't taught you all I know."

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No the virdict was a KOwin for Tomas Molinares , but was clearly after the bell .
    Marlon was a top fighter just a pity he didnt have bit more power , which i think was lacking in his fights with don curry.
    Later the Molinares virdict was changed to NC.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CCs to everyone who posted. I never heard about the hitting after the bell incident. How do you all think Starling would have done in this era?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he could go with today's WW but not hang with the big guys at that weight.
    He was always difficult to fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    He was a great great fighter. But one thing he will always be remembered for is being knocked out after the bell and afterwards in his interview with Larry Merchant saying he was never knocked down
    saw the fight live and am still Pissed about it!!! Loved Starling and the way he fought...he was robbed bigtime!!! he was never the same after that fight.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marlon had a wonderful defence one of the best he stood still and covered up so well , as i said earlier if he had had more power then he could have been great , ironically Tomas Molinares moved up to middle after that fight and was stopped in his next 2 fights then never fought again
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO prime Honeyghan would've beaten Starlon and Breland - he was punch drink when he fought them
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Breland for sure but Raggamuffin would have a very very hard time with Starling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    That was the funniest knock out ever. Just a shame the WBA changed it to a no contest. What ever happened to abiding by the refs decision?

Thread Information