Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rocky how overrated is he

Hello this is my first post here at saddo. I read alot of the forums here and it seems the people here have pretty good opinions on boxing so i thought i would join so i could get some feed back on my own thoughts so heres my first post.

I know Rocky was in a weak era of boxing. But does that mean he wasn't good because it . In my personal opinion i think the Rock could of beat Walcott,Charles and Louis when they were younger. I mean he would have a greater chance of losing don't get me wrong but i think his power still could knock them out at any age. I think he could of beat any man that was before his era but those are just my opinions and you are welcome to bash me for it.

So there is my post i hope some one will find the time to read it and give me there thoughts on it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rocky how overrated is he

Welcome mate have your first coolie on me.

Rocky beat everyone worth fighting and thats good enough for me. You have to beat the best to be the best and he did and was. I wish I could get all his fights I only have 5 of them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you for you comments i didn't expect to get answered so fast, it is my first time on forums.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140
    Thank you for you comments i didn't expect to get answered so fast, it is my first time on forums.
    No problem mate. You will get seriously addicted to this place I promise you. Again, welcome to the best boxing site on the net!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky is slighted a bit because of his competition and the fact that Walcott, Louis and Charles were young. Personally I don't think the Louis victory holds any water, and Rocky said that himself that that fight was all about the money for the both of them but when he got in the ring he didn't know what else to do but fight. I'll try to find that quote later on if anybody wants it.

The thing about Rocky is, like he said, all he knew how to do was fight. He gets railed on for only having eight title defenses with only a handful being really legitimate and meaningful, that's easy to say on paper. But he took SO much punishment in those fights it is just unbelievable that he won even one of those bouts.

When he fought Ezzard Charles, I swear Charles did not miss a punch that night. He splits Marciano's nostrils, bubbles of blood go up and down everytime Marciano breathes in and out, yet he continues to stay aggressive and eventually breaks Charles down. And he did it with raw power.

It's really a spectacle to watch him fight especially if you grew up in the modern day because you constantly think that he is just a no hoper, no real gym training, just trying to land one punch to make it all happen like most journeyman with fight do. But the thing is, his punch had such raw power, he had such good timing and such a toughness about him that you really couldn't count him out.

All you have to do is watch Walcott absolutely school him for 12 rounds. It was a thrashing basically, it really was. Then watch Rocky Marciano land this right hand that looks subtle on the film and that Walcott went down due to being gassed. Then you see the famous picture, it's not subtle at all, it really was "The Perfect Punch" and you have to see the film and the picture to get the jist of it. On the picture it looks like Rocky just lunged from the outside and caught Walcott perfectly with a lot of power behind it. On the film, Rocky gets hit a couple times, Joe Walcott backs up and as he comes back forward he gets hit with a perfectly timed punch.

And that's the beauty of Rocky Marciano, there are probably 100 heavyweights who had more pure boxing skill then him, but his excellent timing, toughness and raw power made him a truly great fighter.

I don't think he is a top 5 heavyweight, but as I wouldn't have had him top 10 before, I would now after seeing him fight more.

Good topic and good first post, have a and welcome to the board. Hope you stick around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Rocky is slighted a bit because of his competition and the fact that Walcott, Louis and Charles were young. Personally I don't think the Louis victory holds any water, and Rocky said that himself that that fight was all about the money for the both of them but when he got in the ring he didn't know what else to do but fight. I'll try to find that quote later on if anybody wants it.

The thing about Rocky is, like he said, all he knew how to do was fight. He gets railed on for only having eight title defenses with only a handful being really legitimate and meaningful, that's easy to say on paper. But he took SO much punishment in those fights it is just unbelievable that he won even one of those bouts.

When he fought Ezzard Charles, I swear Charles did not miss a punch that night. He splits Marciano's nostrils, bubbles of blood go up and down everytime Marciano breathes in and out, yet he continues to stay aggressive and eventually breaks Charles down. And he did it with raw power.

It's really a spectacle to watch him fight especially if you grew up in the modern day because you constantly think that he is just a no hoper, no real gym training, just trying to land one punch to make it all happen like most journeyman with fight do. But the thing is, his punch had such raw power, he had such good timing and such a toughness about him that you really couldn't count him out.

All you have to do is watch Walcott absolutely school him for 12 rounds. It was a thrashing basically, it really was. Then watch Rocky Marciano land this right hand that looks subtle on the film and that Walcott went down due to being gassed. Then you see the famous picture, it's not subtle at all, it really was "The Perfect Punch" and you have to see the film and the picture to get the jist of it. On the picture it looks like Rocky just lunged from the outside and caught Walcott perfectly with a lot of power behind it. On the film, Rocky gets hit a couple times, Joe Walcott backs up and as he comes back forward he gets hit with a perfectly timed punch.

And that's the beauty of Rocky Marciano, there are probably 100 heavyweights who had more pure boxing skill then him, but his excellent timing, toughness and raw power made him a truly great fighter.

I don't think he is a top 5 heavyweight, but as I wouldn't have had him top 10 before, I would now after seeing him fight more.

Good topic and good first post, have a and welcome to the board. Hope you stick around.
    CC for a fantastic post!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I must see this

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love the input people give on this site helps because alot of my friends don't like boxing so i can't have debates about boxing and it nice have a place to do that in, also what is a cc and how do you give it if it is a good thing forgive me i am new to the forum thing.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9msELiZKyU

Walcott was just beginning to come in when he got hit. I thought he started his motion before Rocky, was a bit wrong but that was that "phantom" right of Marciano. He would fool opponents into thinking he was going to the body by looking down and not flying the shoulder out, then he would explode on top of them before they realized what was going on. That is a technique that imo, could still serve well today I wish it were taught a bit more.

Also, the copy I had on my old computer, the camera was looking over Marciano's shoulders a bit when the punch was landed. Really gives good perspective on the punch but that does too, pretty plain to see. Devastating. And he took some to give some, vintage Marciano.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love the input people give on this site helps because alot of my friends don't like boxing so i can't have debates about boxing and it nice have a place to do that in, also what is a cc and how do you give it if it is a good thing forgive me i am new to the forum thing.
    A CC is a cool click, it's the little ratio under your name. If someone likes a post, they will give a CC. That is the + number, if they don't like a post, they will give a Sad Click, which is the minus number to the left. Right now you are 3-0. You can give them once you reach 100 post.

And yeah, none of my friends follow boxing either which makes this place all the more better.

Also I CC'd you Kel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A CC is a cool click, it's the little ratio under your name. If someone likes a post, they will give a CC. That is the + number, if they don't like a post, they will give a Sad Click, which is the minus number to the left. Right now you are 3-0. You can give them once you reach 100 post.

And yeah, none of my friends follow boxing either which makes this place all the more better.

Also I CC'd you Kel.
    CC again in 24 mate for that video(thanks for the cool click mate too). I saw that clip in the knockout vid posted a few days back. Looked a lot more severe in real time.

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_fo...c,46025.0.html

That vid

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that was just the first one I saw and the first time I'd seen it in real time from that view. The picture is still tops though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that was just the first one I saw and the first time I'd seen it in real time from that view. The picture is still tops though.
    Right on the button. Have you seen the whole fight?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While we are on the Walcott fight what in gods name happened the second time weird how Walcott acted he seem to be their enough to continue but got up after 10 count like he waited or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just a simple one two punch. fake jab, throw jab and follow quickly with a quick, loaded up right.

Thread Information