0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Blocking

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    What's an 8 point blocking system - sounds like something I should know but don't
    Ok,this is going to be hard to explain with out visuals,but Ill try
    Take horse stance,ie squated fully presenting front(allow for Von joke here)shoulders square with hips
    (Im gonna screw up order here)
    Left arm,elbow cocked upwards to block off overhand shot
    Rightitto
    Right arm in stance across body
    Left ditto
    Right arm flick out in stance
    Left ditto
    This is the part that needs translating from martial arts
    In martial arts its a full forearm sweep to portect your legs,but you can us it as just the jerk of your elbow to protect your body
    Everything is right there for full defense,its strictly praciticing it
    I'm having trouble picturing this... What would the base position be? You fight from horse stance or you just apply those blocks from whatever your normal stance would be? Also for the first two with the elbows cocked up should they be in against the chest? I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'in stance across body' either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gutbuster
    What's an 8 point blocking system - sounds like something I should know but don't
    Take horse stance,ie squated fully presenting front(allow for Von joke here)shoulders square with hips
    Rightitto
    Left ditto
    Left ditto
    In martial arts its a full forearm sweep to portect your legs,but you can us it as just the jerk of your elbow to protect your body
    I'm having trouble picturing this... What would the base position be? You fight from horse stance or you just apply those blocks from whatever your normal stance would be? Also for the first two with the elbows cocked up should they be in against the chest? I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'in stance across body' either.
    The idea is to use it as a base blocking system,as I said in a later post you want to tighten it down,and switch it cat-stance for boxing
    The idea is to have a base blocking system and train muscle memory for maximum body coverage,with minimal movement
    Now lets break it down a little further and apply it to boxing
    Ok the two overhand block,in martial arts theyre supposed to be elbow out arm fully cocked up to block an overhand weapon strike,now unless your fighting someone with the worlds greates overhand cross,you dont need that exxagerated a block,so you tighten your elbow a little and dont go as far,but now your catching typical overhands with a flick
    Now the reason for the cross body block,Im going to need a visual
    [img width=700 height=532]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/HisRevness/HPIM0224.jpg[/img]
    Ok regard Talley(blue gloves)hes in very good boxing position for blocking
    Hes totally covered actually using 8 Point
    If I throw a jab to the head,he can flick acroos cross body,and block it,I throw a hook he can flick it out,and if I throw the cross he can catch that almost all with the left,and if I try an uninvited left cross Im opening myself wide open for a straight
    And he can do the same for the body with the right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rightitto
    Left ditto
    Left ditto
    The idea is to use it as a base blocking system,as I said in a later post you want to tighten it down,and switch it cat-stance for boxing
    The idea is to have a base blocking system and train muscle memory for maximum body coverage,with minimal movement
    Now lets break it down a little further and apply it to boxing
    Ok the two overhand block,in martial arts theyre supposed to be elbow out arm fully cocked up to block an overhand weapon strike,now unless your fighting someone with the worlds greates overhand cross,you dont need that exxagerated a block,so you tighten your elbow a little and dont go as far,but now your catching typical overhands with a flick
    Now the reason for the cross body block,Im going to need a visual
    [img width=700 height=532]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/HisRevness/HPIM0224.jpg[/img]
    Ok regard Talley(blue gloves)hes in very good boxing position for blocking
    Hes totally covered actually using 8 Point
    If I throw a jab to the head,he can flick acroos cross body,and block it,I throw a hook he can flick it out,and if I throw the cross he can catch that almost all with the left,and if I try an uninvited left cross Im opening myself wide open for a straight
    And he can do the same for the body with the right
    Excellent post TM helped me a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Denada Shaw,thats what this part of the board is for
    Unless of course your fighting me,or one of my fighters,in which case Ill go on a lengthy treatise about what a good idea peek-a-booing is
    If Im really worried Ill probably recomend that you combine that with an Ali shuffle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you do to protect your solar-plexus?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    The bottom arm takes care of the stomach region,the top takes care of the head
    memo to self:yell at Talley to drop his right ever so slightly,mind he bobs a lot so its hard for anyone with a smaller reach then me to get in there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry didnt totally get the question at first,you should be able to do the flick off and across motion with the lower arm as well,the two downward blocks,as with the two high block need to be slightly modified,in this case your trying todrive the punch down with your elbow,rather then extending the forearm for the leg block,you just do the elbow part
    I think when Feur gets back from her moms next week,we'll do a series of pics showing the proper martial arts 8 point,and then the modified boxing ones
    Like I said,its tricky to explain over the net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's not fast enough from where the hands are set. You either have to have a left or right hand down low to guard the body. Mayweather would have a hand lower which accomplished a number of things, for one he had more options when it came to jabbing, it was easier to feint from that position, and he could block most right hands with his shoulders, or move away fast enough buying him time to block. The stance used by a lot of masters around the 20-30's kept a right hand near the pit of the stomach because back then that was a legit kayo target.

If you ever get the wind knocked out of you, you can thank your solar-plexus in taking one for the team.

Now every style has it's weaknesses and advantages. Your stance isn't so bad but you have to keep in mind what its drawback are that's my only point.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's not fast enough from where the hands are set. You either have to have a left or right hand down low to guard the body. Mayweather would have a hand lower which accomplished a number of things, for one he had more options when it came to jabbing, it was easier to feint from that position, and he could block most right hands with his shoulders, or move away fast enough buying him time to block. The stance used by a lot of masters around the 20-30's kept a right hand near the pit of the stomach because back then that was a legit kayo target.

If you ever get the wind knocked out of you, you can thank your solar-plexus in taking one for the team.

Now every style has it's weaknesses and advantages. Your stance isn't so bad but you have to keep in mind what its drawback are that's my only point.
    Note the memo to self part,his right is a wee bit too high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whats interesting is you can see both of our comfort zones in the pic,im good at swiveling my head,and avoiding shots to the head,my hands are in position but lower,Talley is good at bobbing in a way that protects his body,hands higher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't have Scrap's expertise when it comes to biomechanich but I know that by having your hands at shoulder level you're in a better position to hit for a lot of reasons. It's unnatural and awkward to hit from the hands on head/cheeks that a lot of people take for granted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't have Scrap's expertise when it comes to biomechanich but I know that by having your hands at shoulder level you're in a better position to hit for a lot of reasons. It's unnatural and awkward to hit from the hands on head/cheeks that a lot of people take for granted.
    Valid point,and one I hadnt considered,Ive allways disliked the stance strictly on a defensive point of view,but what can you really throw from there other then a straight,and a very tight hook?
    Why give away half of your punches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh wait,Chris do you think Im defending the two hands high and tight stance?
    Hells no,I hate the stance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the further explanation, but for some reason the picture isn't showing up for me... am I the only one?

This raises another question for me since my coach is pretty set on having me fight from a hands on cheek position. He actually fights from a position more like what you seem to be describing, so I'm thinking maybe he's having us learn this style first and then we'll look at other things later, but I also wonder if he's just going with the most basic and easiest to teach even though its not always the best. What's your take on that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the further explanation, but for some reason the picture isn't showing up for me... am I the only one?

This raises another question for me since my coach is pretty set on having me fight from a hands on cheek position. He actually fights from a position more like what you seem to be describing, so I'm thinking maybe he's having us learn this style first and then we'll look at other things later, but I also wonder if he's just going with the most basic and easiest to teach even though its not always the best. What's your take on that?
    Does he train mainly amateurs?
    The reason I ask,is that stance is usually used as a cheat for that level since there isnt alot of body shots to worry about

Thread Information