Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Heavyweights of The Past 20 Years (1987-2007)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Top 10 Heavyweights of The Past 20 Years (1987-2007)

Im not talking about just fighting in this time span, im talking about the best during this time, let me know if im forgetting anyone:

1.Lennox Lewis
    2.Evander Holyfield
    3.Mike Tyson
    4.George Foreman
    5.Riddick Bowe
    6.Michael Moorer
    7.Buster Douglas
    8.Wlad Klitschko
    9.Vitali Klitschko
    10.Chris Byrd

Honorable Mentions: Larry Holmes, Razor Ruddock, Oliver McCall, Andrew Golota,Ray Mercer,Tommy Morrison, John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Shannon Briggs
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top 10 Heavyweights of The Past 20 Years (1987-2007)

If you're just talking about accomplishments between '87 and '07, then there's no way that Foreman is above Tyson on this list.
    He landed one big punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont think buster douglas shouldn't even be on the list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    If you're just talking about accomplishments between '87 and '07, then there's no way that Foreman is above Tyson on this list.
    He landed one big punch.
    Agreed that he shoudnt be above Tyson. On an all time list he would though. Im changing it.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by headson
    i dont think buster douglas shouldn't even be on the list
    Whats your list look like then? He beat McCall, Tyson, Berbick thats pretty good imo. But I can see why people wouldnt rate him but its just my opinion.

El Kabong Guest

1. Evander Holyfield - Beat Lewis, Tyson, and Bowe in this time period....that's damn good

2. Lennox Lewis - beat Tyson, Holyfield, and was totally dominant

3. Mike Tyson - unbeatable until Douglas got to him but came back and won titles and lost years due to prison

4. Riddick Bowe - beat Holyfield twice and one time was by TKO!!!

5. George Foreman - 40+ years old fought anyone and everyone and won THE heavyweight championship...stood toe to toe with Holyfield too and rocked him a couple times as well

6. Vitali Klitschko - gave Lennox Lewis one of the hardest fights of his career and KO'd all but 1 guy he beat

7. Wladimir Klitschko - a very dominant heavyweight and is THE champion right now and he's gearing up to avenge a loss.

8. Chris Byrd - fought the best no matter who they were and beat guys like David Tua, Evander Holyfield, and Vitali Klitschko

9. Michael Moorer - good fighter, beat Holyfield but had a shorter prime than most

10. I think it's a tie between: Morrison, Rudduck, and Golota they had success vs good fighters but they also had a lot of shortcomings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rank Lewis above Holyfield as a heavyweight. However, I rank Holyfield higher PFP because you also have to factor in his work at cruiser in a PFP argument.

It says something about how weak the heavys have been that Moorer is a no-doubt top 10 guy.

El Kabong Guest

....well it also says how long the greats reigned for....Tyson was a top dog for almost 20 years, Holyfield for 15 or so, Lewis was so great it was hard to chose who number 2 was when he was champion, Wlad and Vitali are seemingly unbeatable.....George Foreman was just a freak of nature, gold medal after only 1 year of boxing, KO'd the unbeaten Joe Frazier....comes back at 45 and lays the smackdown on Michael Moorer and other top notch heavyweights.

I honestly think Golota could have been great but he fucked up vs the greats he fought and he never was matched vs guys I think he would have done well against: Rahman, Moorer, Holyfield, Mercer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a bad list....IMO numbers 3-5 are a matter of opinion....Without a doubt Lennox Lewis has ruled the majority of the time and he was with out a doubt the most dominate HW on the list...He beat every man he faced in the ring....Avenged his only losses and fought every top 10 ranked fighter there was during his era....With the exception of Wlad who IMO was having enough problems trying to rebuild after the Sanders beat down so he was in no way mentally pre pared for Lewis
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ....well it also says how long the greats reigned for....Tyson was a top dog for almost 20 years, Holyfield for 15 or so, Lewis was so great it was hard to chose who number 2 was when he was champion, Wlad and Vitali are seemingly unbeatable.....
    Huh?
    Tyson's real prime lasted about 3 years ('86-'89), and he only spent about 5-6 years as a champ. He was never a high level fighter after '97.

El Kabong Guest

Well yes but he was still a top teir guy from '86 til his fight with Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

depends what you mean really.....best fighter at his peak...or greatest overall in there careers. For example i believe that Tyson is the most talented by miles of the last 20 years....however i accept Holyfield and Lewis achieved more in there careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    depends what you mean really.....best fighter at his peak...or greatest overall in there careers. For example i believe that Tyson is the most talented by miles of the last 20 years....however i accept Holyfield and Lewis achieved more in there careers.
    Over all greatest in that time span. Peak has nothing to do with it cause then, yeah Tyson would be higher as would Foreman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hmmmm Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson would be my top 3 then! in that order....although as someone else pointed out i put Holyfield higher P4P then Lewis, but not at heavy!

El Kabong Guest

...hey Holyfield beat Lewis (albeit I thought he did better in the rematch and not the first fight which I thought he lost and the rematch was a makeup call)

Holyfield also beat Riddick Bowe...a PRIME Riddick Bowe.....and Mike Tyson....TWICE

He has the best resume in terms of who he beat but I suppose he did have some big losses too

Thread Information