Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gordon Brown becomes Prime Minister

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6243558.stm

Gordon becomes pm tomorrow at 2 pm, no leadership contest, no votes nothing, just a fucking succession?

Am I completely mistaken here in thinking that only the monarchy is supposed to pass on to an hereditary heir and that the role of party leader and Prime Minister is/was always supposed to be a result of a democratic voting process

This really pisses me off, the Labour party should at least have gone through the motions of voting for him even though he was a dead cert.

Are we to expect no more general elections in future as well? Just keep Labour in power forever.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gordon Brown becomes Prime Minister

Is the Labour Party a fairly right-wing party despite its name? I'm just asking because I can't really understand a leftist party joining the US in Iraq.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    Is the Labour Party a fairly right-wing party despite its name? I'm just asking because I can't really understand a leftist party joining the US in Iraq.
    They are traditionally left, the working mans party, but now are politically identical in virtually all areas of policy to the Tories.

It makes no difference who you vote for nowadays they are both one and the same really.

And just like the US a vote for the third party is just a wasted vote as they will never get in in a million years.

If the Monster Raving Looney party had a representive in my constituency I'd vote for them at election time, but they don't so I don't bother voting at all.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    They are traditionally left, the working mans party, but now are politically identical in virtually all areas of policy to the Tories.

It makes no difference who you vote for nowadays they are both one and the same really.

And just like the US a vote for the third party is just a wasted vote as they will never get in in a million years.

If the Monster Raving Looney party had a representive in my constituency I'd vote for them at election time, but they don't so I don't bother voting at all.
    We have three main parties up here (Canada) and they're all a goddamn joke, so our 3 party system isn't any better than your two party one. There's one party (the NDP) who are so PC and leftist you could almost call them a neo-communist party, except that it would give communism a bad name.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This really pisses me off, the Labour party should at least have gone through the motions of voting for him even though he was a dead cert.

Are we to expect no more general elections in future as well? Just keep Labour in power forever. Angry
    The most annoying statistic is that if only half the country voted in the first place and only half of those voted labour;that means Labour we're voted in by only 25% of the voting population!!

I understand that the mechanism we have is there to promote strong government...but jesus...makes you think...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Steelie

Are we to expect no more general elections in future as well? Just keep Labour in power forever. Angry
    The most annoying statistic is that if only half the country voted in the first place and only half of those voted labour;that means Labour we're voted in by only 25% of the voting population!!

I understand that the mechanism we have is there to promote strong government...but jesus...makes you think...
    The sad thing is the twins from Big Brother will probably get more votes than either Brown or Cameron in the next election.

Although I happen to think that the vast majority of our population are so moronic that it's probably for the best if they stick to voting only on gameshows.

Just imagine the crazy results we'd get if the other 50% actually voted in politics as well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could be worse...we could live in the US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sad thing is the twins from Big Brother will probably get more votes than either Brown or Cameron in the next election.

Although I happen to think that the vast majority of our population are so moronic that it's probably for the best if they stick to voting only on gameshows.

Just imagine the crazy results we'd get if the other 50% actually voted in politics as well
    Could be worse...we could live in the US
    From the sounds of it you do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And just what exactly is your government called anyway? There's a monarchy with no power and a guy you elect to run your country but its not a democracy.

We're technically a democratic republic (you elect your leader and legislation is made bu those that you vote to represent you) but its all basically a fancy name for choosing between a stupid hippie or an idiotic corrupted business man (known as the left and right). Presidential elections are classic because depending on the size of your state, that determines how many votes you get. So if you live in rhode island (2 votes) nobody will campaign in your state or give a damn wether anybody there lives or dies while they'll do ANYTHING to make california (54 or almost 20% of the votes you need to get in) happy. I dunno how we made it to 231 years tomorrow, it amazes me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gordon becomes pm tomorrow at 2 pm, no leadership contest, no votes nothing, just a F****** succession?

Am I completely mistaken here in thinking that only the monarchy is supposed to pass on to an hereditary heir and that the role of party leader and Prime Minister is/was always supposed to be a result of a democratic voting process

Are we to expect no more general elections in future as well? Just keep Labour in power forever.
    churchill, tatcher, major - they are just a few of the PMS who were put into power and not voted in...

this isn't such an uncommon thing...

Gb will do well - i aint to into polotics, do read a fair bit about them in the paper in the morning, although they are all full of shit, each paper has its own party (WHER EI STHE BNP'S PAPER!?!?!?)

Gb is the best choice out there right now unless people grow up and vote BNP!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Labour have f*cked this country big time

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gordon becomes pm tomorrow at 2 pm, no leadership contest, no votes nothing, just a F****** succession?

Nobody stood against him for labour leadership, so as a result he is the new PM.

Labour are set to sell themselves by calling the next general election "the most boring man in Britain competition". This way, Gordon Brown will be a dead cert winner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup

you serious?

this country is a damn site better than the fucking state that the torys left it on....

Only got one problem, all those fucking imagrints...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme

you serious?

this country is a damn site better than the fucking state that the torys left it on....

Only got one problem, all those fucking imagrints...
    You seriously need to reconsider saying that the UK is nothing like the US.  And how the hell can you have an immigrant problem, you're an island!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme

you serious?

this country is a damn site better than the F****** state that the torys left it on....

Only got one problem, all those F****** imagrints...
    Hasn't Preme just contradicted himself? Getting rid of immigrants is a Tory policy!

Thread Information