Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: correct punching range??

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Sometimes you can paw with the jab to find your range..Although you must be careful with it not to be countered..

And if you just throw out a jab to see how close you can get to an opponent and step in with the jab then you will find the jab

then the rest will come easyer with the jab
    NEVER PAW WITH YOUR JAB
    I FREAKING HATE THAT
    Spend the time on the bag to learn your range
    i know i know..Most trainers hate that! Lol..I do understand the consequences of it though..

Dont make a habit of it.. But if your confident you can take punches and your trying to find range its a neccessary evil sometimes :P
    One of my biggest pet peaves,actually it might be THE biggest

Id rather have a fighter,who can snap it off at the last minute
    Thats the thing with Holmes,sometimes it looks like hes pawing,he isnt,he snaps his jabs off,when he sees it wont land he pulls it off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose at the same time you might consider what is worse..

Pawing all the way out to find range or pawwing/ putting it out as feints.. I probably fient as much with it

If it werent for fients i would not land atall with alot of my partners..Lol
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    Sometimes you can paw with the jab to find your range..Although you must be careful with it not to be countered..

And if you just throw out a jab to see how close you can get to an opponent and step in with the jab then you will find the jab

then the rest will come easyer with the jab
    NEVER PAW WITH YOUR JAB
    I FREAKING HATE THAT
    Spend the time on the bag to learn your range
    tell that to RJJ. lol. His jab was almost purely for range finding. I know, I know... we're not RJJs.
    Roy had a Jab? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll 2nd the never paw with ur jab comment. Atleast at this stage of your game. Spend ur time developing a good solid jab. I'll also 2nd the statement about adjusting to what's the correct punch to throw at the correct time. The only thing that I'll add is, when ur punching don't overextend/reach & dont get your chin up/lean back.

Crawl before u walk & walk before u run. I know that to some it may sound boring. But this is what will make u a better boxer in the future. If ur lookin to try n be flashy n not develop to be the best u can, then by all means paw, drop ur hands, put on a show, that's totally up to u. At this point if u start doing things besides practicing solid basics that's all u will do is create bad habits. Put in the time to become solid & there will be time to expand ur game later. Now is the time to develop solid fundamentals.

A good jab will do wonders for u. Ur own jab can become ur best friend or ur worst enemy when the goin gets tuff. Take it for what it's worth, but keep in mind that u could possibly be getting some very sound advice from someone who's been there & done that. And no, I'm not a trainer.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pawing all the way out to find range or pawwing/ putting it out as feints.. I probably fient as much with it

Feints/Paw in a nutshell
    Hopkins/Tarver
    Tarver wants to paw out there to find range,Hopkins slaps it quickly so Tarver can never comfortably find range.
    Meanwhile Hopkins is constantly shifting his shoulders so you can never tell when he's coming,he's using his body movement as a feint

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feints/Paw in a nutshell
    Hopkins/Tarver
    Tarver wants to paw out there to find range,Hopkins slaps it quickly so Tarver can never comfortably find range.
    Meanwhile Hopkins is constantly shifting his shoulders so you can never tell when he's coming,he's using his body movement as a feint
    Good example, cc. He keeps you guessing. Anyways have you seen that sneaky right hand of Hopkins? He likes to keep it out of sight when he's standing sideways to his opponent, then boom out of nowhere he lands it. I believe that he learned that move from the great Archie Moore.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.

Feints/Paw in a nutshell
    Hopkins/Tarver
    Good example, cc. He keeps you guessing. Anyways have you seen that sneaky right hand of Hopkins? He likes to keep it out of sight when he's standing sideways to his opponent, then boom out of nowhere he lands it. I believe that he learned that move from the great Archie Moore.
    Another thing he does exceptionaly with the right,his uppercut in a clinch is like a ghost,he looks like he doesnt have position in the clinch,and then BAM there it is
    One of the reasons I love watching him fight,is he can do so many different things well
    Hell the only reason he lost the Taylor fights(debatable)was punching rate,it certainly wasnt his ability to hit him
    Stupid cant repeat a Karma action

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins learns from the best, he has a lot of control, he keeps to a pace, he's economical with his footwork. It's surprising how a lot of great fighters fight with their feet so wide apart and yet are so mobile.

Perhaps in his fight with Tailor, maybe Tailor was the house fighter on both those occasions. I think they backed the wrong fighter, I'd rather see a Hopkins fight again instead of another unimpressive Tailor fight.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins learns from the best, he has a lot of control, he keeps to a pace, he's economical with his footwork. It's surprising how a lot of great fighters fight with their feet so wide apart and yet are so mobile.

Perhaps in his fight with Tailor, maybe Tailor was the house fighter on both those occasions. I think they backed the wrong fighter, I'd rather see a Hopkins fight again instead of another unimpressive Tailor fight.
    Well,lets call a spade a spade,Abrum and King have been desperate to pry those belts off of Bernard for a VERY long time
    Tito was supposed to do it,but well.......................

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can see that it didn't work out for them, Tailor couldn't sell a stadium out being the house fighter in his own backyard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can see that it didn't work out for them, Tailor couldn't sell a stadium out being the house fighter in his own backyard.
    In a way it did,Jermain will sign on the dotted line without having an army of lawyers going over it first
    Bernards allways looking for the "Bernard gets screwed out of money" clause in the contract
    He was originally trained by Frazier,he knows not to trust these guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the only time I paw is when I'm up against a guy with less reach. I just keep it in his face....then pop it once in a while from short range... but my main goal is to block his view then catch him with my right over the top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what he said about Bob Arum, "A necessary evil." He wanted to make the extra money so he goes with the promoter that can make the most of it. Hopkins has always been carefully meticulous, always looking who the judges are, the referee is and that invisible "Screw Bernard Hopkins Clause" in his contracts, in a way it reminds me of Ray Robinson's business sense. But in the end he's looking for the most money.

The thing with Jermaine Tailor is the promoters are going to go the other way unless we see something that makes Tailor a big draw again. Just like Hopkins they're waiting for another fighter that can sell more tickets to take his spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what he said about Bob Arum, "A necessary evil." He wanted to make the extra money so he goes with the promoter that can make the most of it. Hopkins has always been carefully meticulous, always looking who the judges are, the referee is and that invisible "Screw Bernard Hopkins Clause" in his contracts, in a way it reminds me of Ray Robinson's business sense. But in the end he's looking for the most money.

The thing with Jermaine Tailor is the promoters are going to go the other way unless we see something that makes Tailor a big draw again. Just like Hopkins they're waiting for another fighter that can sell more tickets to take his spot.
    A great example of Bernards "faith" in judges is the Echols fight
    After Echols hip tosses him,and seperates Bernards shoulder,the Doctor comes over to check him,he just keeps repeating "I aint goin out like that"
    So he goes on to fight a round and a half with only his left
    The amazing thing,is he clearly won both those rounds
    Talk about "with one hand tied behind my back"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    the only time I paw is when I'm up against a guy with less reach. I just keep it in his face....then pop it once in a while from short range... but my main goal is to block his view then catch him with my right over the top.
    It can work both ways, you should check out the "How did Walcott land this punch" thread. It shows how pawing or leaving your hand out for a split second can become cannon fodder for the sharp counterpuncher.

I think Ali was had a good sense of range although he tended to stay out of range a lot of the time. The thing is he could circle and punch effortlessly at the same time. He also didn't commit to most of his jabs, he said he imagined it as if it was a flyswatter this kept out of the hot seat that a lot of us find ourselves in when we try to hit hard. He could snap it out quickly like radar, if he misses it didn't matter, if he landed it you can guarantee there would be more hands on the way.

Thread Information