Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
the only time I paw is when I'm up against a guy with less reach. I just keep it in his face....then pop it once in a while from short range... but my main goal is to block his view then catch him with my right over the top.
It can work both ways, you should check out the "How did Walcott land this punch" thread. It shows how pawing or leaving your hand out for a split second can become cannon fodder for the sharp counterpuncher.

I think Ali was had a good sense of range although he tended to stay out of range a lot of the time. The thing is he could circle and punch effortlessly at the same time. He also didn't commit to most of his jabs, he said he imagined it as if it was a flyswatter this kept out of the hot seat that a lot of us find ourselves in when we try to hit hard. He could snap it out quickly like radar, if he misses it didn't matter, if he landed it you can guarantee there would be more hands on the way.
Interesting to note two great jabbers,Ali and Holmes,had an ability to commit to driving the jab,AFTER theyd started to throw it