Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Should I Hit A Stand UP punching bag for??

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Long Should I Hit A Stand UP punching bag for??

?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Long Should I Hit A Stand UP punching bag for??

How long is a peice of tring?

Give us more than that to work with?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since you're starting out spend the majority of your time getting your technique right. Work on your stance, how to properly throw your punches, and how to move around properly. Otherwise you'll be wasting your time. Once you've put enough effort in learning the motions you can start off with a a few rounds on the heavybag. For each round work on some particular things, for now you can spend some time working your jab, throwing some 1-2's, and learn how to properly move about the bag.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not real sure what ur question is either. But I'll take a swing at an answer for u. I agree with Chris N. that if ur just starting out u should emphasize technique (1-2's are good to start with). As for as time on the bag u should start out with 3 rds. x 3 min. 1 min. rest period.

Don't worry about trying to wail away & kill the bag. Get ur technique sound. During the last 10 seconds of each round it's not a bad idea to throw punches straight thru the bell (left,right,left,right,etc...). U can also build this drill up to 30 second but not untill u get a little further down the road.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres no "correct" answer to an extent for this, it all depends on what your trying to achieve, if its movement I suggest just moving and focusing on footwork, punching technique and timing for as long as it takes you to get into your stride. If your tryng to work on stamina I would do two minute rounds, make each one differnt, look for combinations and constant punching, focus on speed and power on some then a combination of the two. Increase the amount of rounds you do gradualy, start with about 10. Theres no point in doing this, as chris n. said, until you have your technique right, otherwise all the work you do will be a waste of time in the scheme of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're hitting the bag with the plan to prepare you for an opponent treat it as such. No opponent you're going to meet is going to let you land a 100 1-2's. Granted the heavy bag can be used for conditioning, but it's much more than that.

If you just want stamina you don't need a heavy bag, if you want to prepare for an actual fight you have to train in such a way. That means fighting as you would against a sharp opponent, being deliberate, working intently, moving away from their power hand while you are circling or retreating, setting up your shots, jabbing, changing the distance, working on specific things and situations.

Now working in rounds is great because for each round you can work on particular things, such as combinations, how to set your punches up, and how to move properly. If you can't do any that you're wasting your time, this is more important than the physical benefits of working the bag.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    If you're hitting the bag with the plan to prepare you for an opponent treat it as such. No opponent you're going to meet is going to let you land a 100 1-2's. Granted the heavy bag can be used for conditioning, but it's much more than that.

If you just want stamina you don't need a heavy bag, if you want to prepare for an actual fight you have to train in such a way. That means fighting as you would against a sharp opponent, being deliberate, working intently, moving away from their power hand while you are circling or retreating, setting up your shots, jabbing, changing the distance, working on specific things and situations.

Now working in rounds is great because for each round you can work on particular things, such as combinations, how to set your punches up, and how to move properly. If you can't do any that you're wasting your time, this is more important than the physical benefits of working the bag.
    Actually Chris were going to have an icreasingly rare disagreement
    On the heavy bag you can unleash more then you can on a sparring partner
    And doing punchouts you really give what youve got
    So you can build stamina,and you can see what you have just as much as sparring
    On the bag,and in the ring I land like a wall
    If I did that consistently to sparring partners,I wouldnt have any

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And that wasnt bragging about the power,Im getting my head around the fact that Im an increasingly Foreman comeback version fighter.
    I can stalk,I can block,and I can pound
    My dancing days are done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't say that there weren't any physical benefits to be gotten out of it, my main point is that boxing correctly is the is the most important part of the heavy bag. You forsake this in training and you're bound to make that mistake in the ring. Who's going to stand infront of you as you do a number on them? You have to train accordingly for a real opponent. If you want to improve your conditioning then you can always increase your intensity on the bag and still do everything for the right reasons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't say that there weren't any physical benefits to be gotten out of it, my main point is that boxing correctly is the is the most important part of the heavy bag. You forsake this in training and you're bound to make that mistake in the ring. Who's going to stand infront of you as you do a number on them? You have to train accordingly for a real opponent. If you want to improve your conditioning then you can always increase your intensity on the bag and still do everything for the right reasons
    Ah,theres a difference there,you gotta move here even on the heavy bag
    Everything I teach is for a reason,everything you throw has to be for one.
    Having a good stand helps there,Im sure,you can move around ours pretty good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Though you raised an interesting thought for me Chris(you usually do)all of my fighters,except me, are compelled to write down combos and explain while they would work.
    Been a long time since Ive had to

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm getting to the point that writing down my punches, and things that I'm working on is starting to sound like a good idea. As you may find out that by writing down your reps/sets/weights in weight training you make a lot more progress than if you just wing it.

You know a neat tool for training with the heavybag? A wind up oven timer. You can set it for a minute, and work on particular things for each minute. The problem with a cheap boxing timer is they only go from 2 minute rounds to 3 minute rounds. Think of it as the poor man's timer.

When it comes to building stamina you can always add rounds down the line, and as I've mentioned up the intensity as long as you aren't getting sloppy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm getting to the point that writing down my punches, and things that I'm working on is starting to sound like a good idea. As you may mind out that by writing down your reps/sets/weights in weight training you make a lot more progress than if you just wing it.

You know a neat tool for training with the heavybag? A wind up oven timer. You can set it for a minute, and work on particular things for each minute. The problem with a cheap boxing timer is they only go from 2 minute rounds to 3 minute rounds. Think of it as the poor man's timer.

When it comes to building stamina you can always add rounds down the line, and as I've mentioned up the intensity as long as you aren't getting sloppy.
    I do something vaguely similar,Ill alternate my bag work,so Ill alternate styles at points in the round
    At one point I fight traidtional,then Ill fight Philly Spread,then Ill fight southpaw,etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, and everything style/technique etc. that you want to have you should carry it throughout your training. :cooclick: I'm going to sleep now, it's 2:00 am here and time doesn't stop. It sucks too because I was just getting in an arguement on the mainboard and I'll probably get a sadclick or 2 for not making a rebuttal. Good night Monkey.

Thread Information