Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: A lot of people on the forum have various opinions, so what's yours?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is your opinion of Joe Calzaghe?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What is your opinion of Joe Calzaghe?

Quote Originally Posted by SEANIE
    Quote Originally Posted by katfight
    is this gonna be a no sadclick thread then

i'm not a huge fan of Calzaghe but not because of his boxing ability
    He's been seriously let down imo by Warren
    completly agree with u master he should have been rich and famous but he isn't
    it has been a waste
    and u have to ask if now it's too late
    with his hand breaking during most fights now how long can he realistically carry on

he deserved more as a fighter and didnt get it

the onli reason im not a fan is the showboating during the Lacy fight
    it just put me off
    in a way i guess he had a right to act in that manner but it just ruins things for me personally
    although i realise that isnt everybodys opinion

I agree he was let down bigtime by Warren. I remember when Mickey Duff was on the scene and along came Warren to muscle in. I think once Duff retired Warren became complacent and started dealing with jarg sanctioning bodies. its a shame calzaghe never had a manager like Duff throught his career. Duff was class Warren couldnt even carry Duffs jockstrap.

cc seanie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

world class fighter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love the av ds91

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kel
    Love the av ds91
    That was like poetry in motion that was his fight against Williams wasn't it ??

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that was Terrell actually. Not positive but I think so.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All time P4P contender - 10 (20.4%)
    World Class fighter - 26 (53.1%)
    Good fighter who scraped a world title in a bad era - 8 (16.3%)
    Decent British hometown fighter but little more - 2 (4.1%)
    Bum! - 3 (6.1%)

OK, so on the whole I think we can safely say that Joe Calzaghe is a quality act, however, he lacks the credentials to back up the P4P rating that some people give him... I must confess that this was the result that I was expecting, as I am a Joe C fan, however take many of these claims for P4P greatness with a pinch of salt.

However, I hope to be able to post a poll on Nov 4 asking whether Joe's victory over Mikkel Kessler makes him a P4P great, however, until I watch that fight happen, I am not going to be as presumptuous as to think that would be the result.... We got months of debate before that happens!!!!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it has been a waste
    with his hand breaking during most fights now how long can he realistically carry on

it just put me off
    in a way i guess he had a right to act in that manner but it just ruins things for me personally

I agree he was let down bigtime by Warren. I remember when Mickey Duff was on the scene and along came Warren to muscle in. I think once Duff retired Warren became complacent and started dealing with jarg sanctioning bodies. its a shame calzaghe never had a manager like Duff throught his career. Duff was class Warren couldnt even carry Duffs jockstrap.
    Duff was looking after Calzaghe so well he couldn't afford to pay his mortgage. I always remember when Honeyghan beat Don Curry in Vegas and Duff jumped in to the postfight interview and wouldn't let Lloyd get a word in. Duff spent the whole time telling the interviewer what a brilliant move it had been by him to take the fight and Honeyghan had to stand there looking like a chump. What a wanker Mickey Duff was.

I bet there are one or two boxers out there who'd like their careers to have been as badly managed as Warren has done with Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i cant say as much as i want on this site as i work away and dont really get the chance but fester to say calzaghe is a "eurobum" is astonishing. the point you make about him ducking the "great americans " is laughable....since this man dropped eubank nobody has wanted anything to do with him! not until your great hope jeff lacey came to fight the over rated over aged over hyped "eurobum" and oh didnt he get the biggest boxing lesson of his life..this man is undoubtedly a great p4p fighter and sorry mr great usa you could produce no one to beat him in his era FACT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing

it has been a waste

it just put me off

Duff was looking after Calzaghe so well he couldn't afford to pay his mortgage. I always remember when Honeyghan beat Don Curry in Vegas and Duff jumped in to the postfight interview and wouldn't let Lloyd get a word in. Duff spent the whole time telling the interviewer what a brilliant move it had been by him to take the fight and Honeyghan had to stand there looking like a chump. What a wanker Mickey Duff was.

I bet there are one or two boxers out there who'd like their careers to have been as badly managed as Warren has done with Calzaghe.

It just depends how you look at it mate but i agree to a certain extent, Calzaghe is a millionaire, which not many people are, so he is comfortable for the rest of his life, but i feel it aint only Warrens fault Calzaghe is always mentioning money when he is interviewed, and if he wanted to go over to the States he wouldnt of made the money he did at home for a good few fights, but now at the grand old age of 35, he is getting the big paydays which really he should of got 7 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing

it has been a waste

it just put me off

It just depends how you look at it mate but i agree to a certain extent, Calzaghe is a millionaire, which not many people are, so he is comfortable for the rest of his life, but i feel it aint only Warrens fault Calzaghe is always mentioning money when he is interviewed, and if he wanted to go over to the States he wouldnt of made the money he did at home for a good few fights, but now at the grand old age of 35, he is getting the big paydays which really he should of got 7 years ago.
    And thats exactly my point

Thread Information