Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: If these two get it on who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Paul Williams be the man to beat Floyd?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Could Paul Williams be the man to beat Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by smashcrusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Ah, no.
    Thank you. Williams is good but why is it when someone comes off a win, everyone immediately thinks they can beat the best who's in their division? DLH beats Mayorga and everyone on this board is saying he'll slay everyone, Mosley beats Vargas and all the sudden he's the second coming of Tommy Hearns. And now Williams beats Antonio Margarito 8 rounds to 4 so he's gonna beat Floyd Mayweather I don't think so.
    Fair point, I'm not saying Williams is the best fighter in the world I'm just putting the question out there as to how stylistically would Floyd solve the Williams puzzle.

In recent fights Floyd has one by staying on the outside and relying on his superior speed to pick of his opponents with single shot combinations.

How does he possibly stay on the outside of a man who's practically got a whole extra arm's length in wingspan to him?

Oscar WAS able to back up Floyd early and apply pressure but he tired late on and Floyd took over. We just saw against Margarito that Williams doesn't gas and unlike Oscar who got punch shy in the final rounds Williams was just a whirlwind from start to finish.

If you going to even make a post saying Williams loses end of, at least tell us how what strategy you think Floyd will adopt and HOW he will win.

This isn't just a yes or no poll I want reasons and opinions as to HOW this fight would pan out
    All I can think of is Leonard/Hearns.
    I am not comparing Tommy to Paul but there are some similarities. Height and reach being the most obvious.
    Floyd would have to take risks against Williams and I dont see Floyd being that brave. That kind of balls and bravery nearly Cost Leonard his entire carreer. Floyd would get jabbed to death unless Floyd took that risk to fight like Leonard did against Hearns. Leonard was better than Flody and Ray had more power. Paul does not seem to have the power that Hearns had but Paul has the higher work rate so that would be an advantage. Why does it feel that Paul is still a little green after more than 32 fights? He ain't faught no one. Pual still looks good enough to beat Roid. Let's not forget that Paul is also a South Paw and we saw what a south paw in Judah did to Roid early.
    Have you seen Hearns? They are so different its not funny. Hearns wasn't the stamina punches in bunches kind of guy especially, at least not against boxers. He uses his jab way better than Williams and is faster than Williams, on the other side Williams has a better chin and he throws way more punches. When has Mayweather not stepped up to a worthy challenge? He is so far fighting every worthy challenge that has been asked of him. Sure people want him to fight Mosley and Cotto as well, but Cotto is suppose to fight the winner of tonight and I am pretty sure its signed, and Mosley still has some more work to do, to earn that fight with Mayweather.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.

Floyd is a technically solid fighter, but tactically he's lacking. Since when have you seen him have to really come up with a plan to set his opponent up, create traps, and do things strategically to change the course of the fight? I sure has haven't.

So you missed the De La Hoya fight
    I've watched it several times. I'm not saying that he can't counter punch, but when it comes to tactics there's nothing that he's done can compare to what great fighters like Sugar Ray Leonard could do. Where's the changing of gears, the strategy and tactics displayed by Mayweather? I rest my case.

Let me ask you this, how would Mayweather offset Williams, is he going to set him up? Is he going to land more punches?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather+Mosley
    Williams-Mayweather would be a boring one.
    Williams throws over a 100 punches a round, how would this be boring?
    They won't be able to hurt each other.
    You serious? Margarito and Williams wern't able to hurt each other either but show me a better fight this year
    pavlik-miranda
    Agreed. I think Pavlik shocked the world on that one.
    Not me I was spamming the boards beforehand saying that Miranda was getting his ass knocked out

It was a great fight but not competitive which stops it from being the best imo. I preferred the Williams Margarito fight because Tony pushed him right until the end.

Plus I never liked Miranda much anyways and knew he was hype over substance as guys with power usually are.

Where Williams is different is that he has no power so his wins are a result of sheer workrate and punch output.

A good boxer who can take a punch will beat a puncher 8 times out of 10 but a guy who with a huge natural punch output who can sustain 100 punches a round for the whole duration is very hard to stop, especially if you don't have the power to make him stop punching.

Floyd doesn't have the power to take away Williams output like Taylor was able to do to Ouma. When he fought Coralles, Corralles just stalked him waiting for the opportunity to land which obviously never came as he was too slow but Williams won't wait, he'll just keep throwing.

Some of you mentioned Chavez as a guy who throws nonstop who Floyd beat but Chavez was only a small guy, basically a lightweight version of Hatton and he DID have Floyd backing up for long periods of that fight.

Williams is a giant compared to Chavez and doesn't gas out so his attacks might be sustained more than Chavez's were.

I'm not saying Williams definitely beats Floyd, I voted maybe, but the reason I started the poll was that in my opinion at least he presents one of if not the most unique stylistic puzzle for Floyd to solve right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

both fighthers with the same style? ZZZZZZZZZZZ.. it would be interesting to listen to the corners in between rounds. both corners would probably say "ping ping pang pang, then move" or "pit pat pat pit then slide to the side"
    "speed is the essence of war"
    sun tzu-art of war

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by josef4334
    both fighthers with the same style? ZZZZZZZZZZZ.. it would be interesting to listen to the corners in between rounds. both corners would probably say "ping ping pang pang, then move" or "pit pat pat pit then slide to the side"
    Have you ever even watched a fight? Floyd and Williams are about as far apart in terms of style as you could possibly get.

Man some people just seem determined to make an ass out of themselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you ever even watched a fight? Floyd and Williams are about as far apart in terms of style as you could possibly get.

Man some people just seem determined to make an a** out of themselves
    just coz we have different opinions than you we are making an a$$ of ourselves?? what happend to land of the free?
    "speed is the essence of war"
    sun tzu-art of war

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As they say styles makes fights, the rock-paper-scissors of swarmers beat boxers, boxers beat punchers, and punchers beat swarmers. Watching this fight you can see that Williams wasn't your Kassim Ouma, or Sam Soliman, he could swarm with punches and he could do so much more. I think he has what it takes to give Mayweather a lot of trouble, but with Miguel Cotto, that's another story.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As they say styles makes fights, the rock-paper-scissors of swarmers beat boxers, boxers beat punchers, and punchers beat swarmers. Watching this fight you can see that Williams wasn't your Kassim Ouma, or Sam Soliman, he could swarm with punches and he could do so much more. I think he has what it takes to give Mayweather a lot of trouble, but with Miguel Cotto, that's another story.

IThats exactlt my thinking, a guy with power and a relentless attack could break a guy like Williams but a guy who can't hurt him can't take away his punch output.

Him and Floyd is a really intriguing matchup in my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Williams really has the speed and sheer punch output to catch Floyd more often than Floyd can come back at him.

Floyd is a technically solid fighter, but tactically he's lacking. Since when have you seen him have to really come up with a plan to set his opponent up, create traps, and do things strategically to change the course of the fight? I sure has haven't.

By no means am I trying to discredit Mayweather, but I honestly can't see him beating Williams with the same fight that he brings to all his fights. And on Williams behalf someone's going to have to really have a plan to offset his quickness and torrent of punches.
    How is Mayweather tactically lacking? Your reasons of why he is bad is what he does best. Set traps. He let Baldomir come in with hooks so he could counter him. He let Ndou go crazy so he could find the openings and counter him. Even in the first round against Oscar he jumped in with a hook near the begining and the next time he threw the hook then came in with a straight right hand when Oscar blocked the left hook. Mayweather is always setting traps. You can't be a counter puncher without setting them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IThats exactlt my thinking, a guy with power and a relentless attack could break a guy like Williams but a guy who can't hurt him can't take away his punch output.

Him and Floyd is a really intriguing matchup in my mind.
    back.

I got a sad click out of pointing out that I haven't seen Floyd dish out a bag of tricks (tactics/strategy) in his previous fights. I think he would have to have some strategy and bag of tricks if he's to offset the volume of punches and variety that Williams throws. If he could show me that, he'd go down with the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard in my book.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just coz we have different opinions than you we are making an a$$ of ourselves?? what happend to land of the free?
    My apologies bro I did come across a bit harsh, a bit of an ass you might say :P

I tend to get a bit excited at times on these boards and speak with a little too much aggression.

But I'm only 3 ft tall and back down real quick when challenged :P

Accept this with my apologies as a token of reconciliation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My apologies bro I did come across a bit harsh, a bit of an ass you might say :P

I tend to get a bit excited at times on these boards and speak with a little too much aggression.

yo bilbo i understand what you meant though...it was just so absurd to say that pbf and williams are the same...and by reflex you want to yell.... "what a fucking dumbass", but sometimes you just have to let people say what they want or feel as it's their opinion..they should understand it's your opinion to feel as if anyone who says that mayweather and williams are the same type of fighter..is a dumbass....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

SigmaMu Guest

Good reply

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a huge PBF fan and I think he would have problems with Williams triple jab and workrate... Ud for Williams, But this fight will never happen. I would like to see Mosley/PBF after the destruction of Hatton.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather+Mosley

My apologies bro I did come across a bit harsh, a bit of an a** you might say :P

yo bilbo i understand what you meant though...it was just so absurd to say that pbf and williams are the same...and by reflex you want to yell.... "what a F****** dumbass", but sometimes you just have to let people say what they want or feel as it's their opinion..they should understand it's your opinion to feel as if anyone who says that mayweather and williams are the same type of fighter..is a dumbass....
    hah man I just choked on my tea reading this, you summed it up EXACTLY!

But as you say there is no reason to be rude and I was out of order. I've sure said some dumbass things out of ignorance before myself and don't appreciate it when the forum smartass feels the need to correct me, in fact I always think their a kunt.

But then I go and put myself in that role without realising it, just a hypocritical bastad I guess :P

Thread Information