Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Everyone So Suprised About Williams?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why Is Everyone So Suprised About Williams?

Everyone seems to be suprised that he won and the fashion in which he did....

Williams was already a star and I felt very confident about this for everything Williams is and presents in the ring... He has a tremendous workrate punch selection and poise, good inside fighting and athletisim moving in and out of range very well and being effective.. He far from loads up on punching but he relies on overwhelming you......

I liken it to mergeing onto the highway, you can have the fastest and most powerful car, but if you cant merge do to volume of traffic on the road, what good is it? Paul created traffic and minimzed Tony's openings, Margarito blocked alot of punches, but Paul stifled his offense...

The only knock on Margarito, was the post fight bitterness and lack of Sportsmanship, he had no one to blame but himself

I think Paul answered any questions about his chin... He got caught by some big shots from Margarito and held up fine... He made it thru the deep dark waters of the fight and maintained, along with making a push through the championship rounds... A true war of attricion and battle of wills that he persevered through. He never lost composure and kept his cool, all attributes and intangibles of a good champion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why Is Everyone So Suprised About Williams?

Agreed mate I didn't rate Margarito very highly before.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was picking Williams months ago and Im legendary for my picks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I too picked Williams. I wasn't surprised as I've said many times before how overrated Tony is. I feel the same could be said about Williams though. He was a bit pitter-patter on Saturday night don't you think?

El Kabong Guest

I was surprised because well first off it was an easier fight for him than I expected, Margarito didn't throw as well as he usually does, and Paul Williams' defense was very good he didn't take punches he wasn't supposed to.

I would LOVE to see Floyd Mayweather Jr fight Paul Williams....finally a dragon has come along for Floyd to slay, and I don't think he's up for it. Paul Williams is the Tommy Hearns to Floyd's Ray Leonard and this fight needs to be made ASAP!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I was surprised because well first off it was an easier fight for him than I expected, Margarito didn't throw as well as he usually does, and Paul Williams' defense was very good he didn't take punches he wasn't supposed to.

I would LOVE to see Floyd Mayweather Jr fight Paul Williams....finally a dragon has come along for Floyd to slay, and I don't think he's up for it. Paul Williams is the Tommy Hearns to Floyd's Ray Leonard and this fight needs to be made ASAP!
    You're waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of yourself here. He shouldn't get Floyd yet. Floyd has beaten great after great. Beating average Tony doesn't give you the right to face the P4P best. If he beats another name then maybe I'll begin to agree...but lets not overhype him already!

El Kabong Guest

Hey man Paul Williams didn't just BEAT Margarito he kept Toni from throwing anything back at him. Williams can challenge him better than ANYONE ELSE up to and including Shane Mosley (who would be my next choice for Williams to fight) who Floyd is going to run and make a deal with so he doesn't have to fight Williams.

I see Williams-Cotto happening and IF Williams wins there then he should be the next in line for Floyd but he could have some success with him now. Paul did have trouble with fighters who throw faster than him like Mitchell but they just got worn down because of Williams' pressure.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey man Paul Williams didn't just BEAT Margarito he kept Toni from throwing anything back at him. Williams can challenge him better than ANYONE ELSE up to and including Shane Mosley (who would be my next choice for Williams to fight) who Floyd is going to run and make a deal with so he doesn't have to fight Williams.

I see Williams-Cotto happening and IF Williams wins there then he should be the next in line for Floyd but he could have some success with him now. Paul did have trouble with fighters who throw faster than him like Mitchell but they just got worn down because of Williams' pressure.
    Cuts and bruises on his face say he didn't stop him from throwing stuff back. Plus he was only pitter-patter punching. I'm sorry but there are more deserving fighters out there IMO. Cotto, Hatton & Mosley have all beaten better competition than Williams. Again, I think you're overhyping him from one performance. He's good, and it's a start, but he shoudln't get Floyd yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that, this can have the potential to be like a Hearns SRR BUT he needs to beat Mosely or Cotto and then we got some legitamacy......

Because if not Heres what will happen, if Floyd beats Williams, people will say he was 2 green and that the win over Margarito means shite since he was a product of hype and the haters will be in full force

El Kabong Guest

Well I do see your point but he does have 32 wins....I would like to see him fight some more complete fighters. A Williams-Cintron fight would be good as well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I do see your point but he does have 32 wins....I would like to see him fight some more complete fighters. A Williams-Cintron fight would be good as well.
    Unification and I'd be in total agreement with you. There is a big queue for Floyd right now though, and he's gotta get in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to admit i felt margarito was gonna pull it out...but i never thought of williams as any slouch...i just questioned his chin and punching power and it seems now that some of those questions are answered for now. Williams throws a ton of punches but so has margarito in the past so i thought it would be closer than it was yet not as close as they saw it.....however even after the win i feel cotto's body work would be too much for williams those 100 plus punch rounds would slowly dwindle down as rounds went on...and mayweather c'mon, but i agree he should throw his hat in that pool with everyone else i guess. Paul shocked and impressed a lot of people but i don't think to many true fight fans saw him winning as impossible.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

El Kabong Guest

...as for the cuts and bruises .....comparing his defense to what he had done in the past it's no question he did a better job, Margarito was the best fighter he's been up against and Toni beat a dude's ear off so a few cuts were to be expected.

I wonder how Williams would take a Cotto left hook to the body?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He'd take em and that to me would be the problem.......
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well for starters I think Margarito fucked himself over if he would have at least thrown more early on and would have won 1 or 2 of the 1st, 6 rds. he would have won cause he usually does his best work late in the fights. I've said this before but whoever told him throwing less against someone like Williams is a good plan needs to be slapped.

I will say that Williams showed heart and a good chin, those body shots that Margarito threw would fold WIlliams in half I thought he'd go down but he didn't. IMO, Williams was untested up until this fight his biggest test 'til then could have been either Matthysse or Sharmba. I just thought Margaritos experience would be too much but Margarito didn't use it.

All praise be to Williams and he needs to work on putting more mustard on his punches cause you can't win all your fights like that.

Thread Information