Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes, Oscar......c'mon down to 147 (heh-heh-heh)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Yes, Oscar......c'mon down to 147 (heh-heh-heh)

He can still attract the big names and make mega fights but I don't think he has what is needed to beat these guys at WW. He's a aprt time fighter,part time promoter. He's getting older. He's lost most of his last fights and his only half decent win in a while was against a Mayorga who was beaten to a pulp by Tito beforehand. So yeah if you want to see fights hyped beyond measure and fights which will attract the average joe,let him come back to 147 but no for every other reason stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    He can still attract the big names and make mega fights but I don't think he has what is needed to beat these guys at WW. He's a aprt time fighter,part time promoter. He's getting older. He's lost most of his last fights and his only half decent win in a while was against a Mayorga who was beaten to a pulp by Tito beforehand. So yeah if you want to see fights hyped beyond measure and fights which will attract the average joe,let him come back to 147 but no for every other reason stated.
    What are u basing ur assesment of ODH at WW from?

Give some input on why u beleive these things that u have posted. Especially what supports the " I don't think he has what is needed to beat these guys at WW" comment. Curious of why u think these things.

So he lost a split decision to the consensus p4p boss in his last fight. The one before that he starched Mayorga. He had the ba**s to step up to a great champion (B-Hop) @ MW who was just to big for him.

I agree that he's inactive, but these fights haven't shown that he can't compete & win at WW. And no he's not gett'n any younger but he's still very good. He has only lost 2 fights in his career @ WW. A majority decision vs Tito & a split decision to Mosely. Hardly disgraceful IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

" I don't think he has what is needed to beat these guys at WW" comment. Curious of why u think these things."

I am basing these comments on a number of things:

His recent form

His age

Being a part time boxer(fighting 3 or 4 times in 3.5 years?) and a promoter

The weight. At his age,having to lose all that weight to get down to WW must be tough.He fought at 160 not too long back.

His stamina as never been that great(bar the Quartey fight12th round) and as he gets older,that is bound to go down too.

ALso the number one reason I think he is coming back is to lure Hatton into a fight. He knows it's his most winnable fight and I think that too. PBF,Cotto,SSM,I'd favour over him. He has no reason to fight PW/Margarito nor do I think he wants to.

I hope this helps

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't think fatigue played as a big a role as some people think in the Floyd fight. You ask why he stopped throwing the jab? Sure he was probably tired...but i feel he had his mind made up that he was going to fight Floyd ONE WAY...pressure him and try and knock him out/hurt him. He momentarily and successfully threw the jab...but it was almost like he felt he had to stick to only one fight plan. And to say that Oscar was showing his age against Floyd is a bit over the top. I don't how many fighters can chase one of the slickest boxers in Floyd for 12 rounds and not be tired. When he threw the jab...the "old" man consistently tagged one of the best defensive fighters in the world....and the "old" man was even reading/blocking Floyd's punches. All i am saying is that he fought competitively against one best conditioned and skilled boxers in the world. So to say he he "embarrassed" himself or showed his "age" are not particularly valid points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

" I don't think he has what is needed to beat these guys at WW" comment. Curious of why u think these things."

I am basing these comments on a number of things:

His recent form

His age

Being a part time boxer(fighting 3 or 4 times in 3.5 years?) and a promoter

The weight. At his age,having to lose all that weight to get down to WW must be tough.He fought at 160 not too long back.

His stamina as never been that great(bar the Quartey fight12th round) and as he gets older,that is bound to go down too.

ALso the number one reason I think he is coming back is to lure Hatton into a fight. He knows it's his most winnable fight and I think that too. PBF,Cotto,SSM,I'd favour over him. He has no reason to fight PW/Margarito nor do I think he wants to.

I hope this helps

Still not really gett'n it.

Form.--- His recent form wasn't so bad IMO against the p4p king.

Weight.---- ODH had never had a problem hitting weight. He didn't fight @ MW because of weight issues. Business $$$ & tryin to add another weightclass belt brought him there.

Age.--- Not much of an issue IMO. If u put out all the early to mid 30's fighters. Well, u just wouldn't have a whole lot goin on.

Part time promoter/fighter/etc...--- If u can handle the load then go for it.

Stamina.--- Cross that bridge when u get there. One day isn't here yet. He's never been known to throw 100+ punches in the 12th round. But he has never collapsed. His cardio is not as nearly as bad as the wrap he gets.

I do agree with that he may be targeting Hatton. But IMO that wouldn't be so bad. Infact I would like to see it happen (especially if the PBF vs Hatton fight does not get made).

No disrespect but Williams & not even Margarito (especially now) bring enough to the dance to pull there weight (business sense) to come close to being able to help tote the load for this type of fight.

We will never see him & SSM fight again. And him & PBF #2 doesn't work for me either. But u can never have too many good fighters, fighting. ODH is still a good fighter.

I disagree with & don't comprehend, but respect ur right to have ur opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Silent assassin bro,what I wrote down was fact,I didn't make anything up.

Well,that's your opinion. I had it 116-112. The rounds Oscar won were the rounds Mayweather did nothing,Mayweather rocked him to his boots twice and beat on Oscar for the last few rounds,9-12 I think.

Weight.---- ODH had never had a problem hitting weight. He didn't fight @ MW because of weight issues. Business $$$ & tryin to add another weightclass belt brought him there.

That point has no relevance. How does a 33 year old big enough to fight at 160 and go back,to 147 and stay effective when he can't fight 12 full rounds at 154? Don't know what your point is there. Being effective at the weight and merely making the weight are 2 totally different things.

Age.--- Not much of an issue IMO. If u put out all the early to mid 30's fighters. Well, u just wouldn't have a whole lot goin on

Well,if you think Oscar's skills haven't eroded over the years,you seriously should pay more attention to his fights.( "it was ot the night of the jab" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in possibly your biggest fight)

Well,he got boxed by Sturm,got KTFO by Hopkins. I don't call that handling the load.

Stamina.--- Cross that bridge when u get there. One day isn't here yet. He's never been known to throw 100+ punches in the 12th round. But he has never collapsed. His cardio is not as nearly as bad as the wrap he gets.

He was just panting heavily and unable to land any effective attacks from round 9 onwards v Mayweather. It has nothing to do with throwing 100 plus punches,he could not mount any kind of attack v Mayweather.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well,that's your opinion. I had it 116-112. The rounds Oscar won were the rounds Mayweather did nothing,Mayweather rocked him to his boots twice and beat on Oscar for the last few rounds,9-12 I think.

That point has no relevance. How does a 33 year old big enough to fight at 160 and go back,to 147 and stay effective when he can't fight 12 full rounds at 154? Don't know what your point is there. Being effective at the weight and merely making the weight are 2 totally different things.

Age.--- Not much of an issue IMO. If u put out all the early to mid 30's fighters. Well, u just wouldn't have a whole lot goin on

Well,if you think Oscar's skills haven't eroded over the years,you seriously should pay more attention to his fights.( "it was ot the night of the jab" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in possibly your biggest fight)

Well,he got boxed by Sturm,got KTFO by Hopkins. I don't call that handling the load.

He was just panting heavily and unable to land any effective attacks from round 9 onwards v Mayweather. It has nothing to do with throwing 100 plus punches,he could not mount any kind of attack v Mayweather.

Cmon Gamo I don't even like Oscar but I'm not as harsh as you. Oscar has a great chance at 147 in my opinion. By rights he's almost undefeated as a 147 lb fighter, virtually everyone thinks he beat Trinidad, so only Mosely got a legitmate win over him.

Oscar and Shane are the most durable guys at 147 imo, nobody is knocking Oscar out. Oscar also has no fear of anyone in the division. His fight with Floyd I had Floyd winning by 2 rounds and regardless 116-112 against the best fighter on earth is hardly a poor showing.

Nobody else has ever pushed Floyd harder and a different strategy could even have won that fight for Oscar.

I'll go on record as saying if De La Hoya fights Cotto he hands him his first loss

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    Looks like Oscar wants a piece of the action. More trophies to add to his legacy, sort of speak. Well I, for one, say....... C'MON DOWN!!!!

Oscar-PBF we've already seen. Been there, done that. Wouldn't want to see a repeat.

Oscar-Williams.... I don't know. Williams has the reach and height, but Oscar's got the savvy and the experience. He knows Williams ain't got one-punch KO power, and that's exactly how Oscar likes it.

Oscar-Mosley.... seen that movie also. And a repeat would end the same way, with a Mosley decision win.

Oscar-Cotto...... Hmmmm..... now we're getting somewhere. Oscar doesn't like it to the body, does he? Hopkins' one-punch liver shot reduced Oscar to a canvas-pounding heap. I wonder what a well-placed Cotto left hook would do? I can only salivate at the thought.

Oscar-Cintron. Yeah, I know everyone thinks Kermit's still a bit raw. And maybe he is. But let me tell you, Manny Steward is one genius of a trainer. And mark my words.... Cintron will be a MAJOR FORCE at 147 soon enough. What am I talking about... he's already a champ. But this is just wishful thinking. Oscar's computer would spit out: "low reward, high risk" This is one matchup that would never get made.

So there you have it. C'mon down, Oscar!
    So Oscar doesn't like getting hit to the body? Well Cotto doesn't like getting hit on the chin. I say Oscar ko's him with a good left hoot.

Cintron has nothing that makes me believe he wouldn't get ko'ed by Oscar.

Williams:could win on how many punches he throws, but Oscar is faster, and he is a much better fighter than Margarito.
    Harder punchers than Oscar haven't knocked Cotto out..... I doubt Oscar would. But I'd gladly sit and watch Oscar mix it up with Cotto. Miguel's hooks to the body come in square and tend to dig in, different than the apparently glancing Hopkins body blow that put Oscar down. Couple of those and Oscar would be looking for a spot of canvas to punch in frustration.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Looks like Oscar wants a piece of the action. More trophies to add to his legacy, sort of speak. Well I, for one, say....... C'MON DOWN!!!!

Oscar-PBF we've already seen. Been there, done that. Wouldn't want to see a repeat.

Oscar-Williams.... I don't know. Williams has the reach and height, but Oscar's got the savvy and the experience. He knows Williams ain't got one-punch KO power, and that's exactly how Oscar likes it.

Oscar-Mosley.... seen that movie also. And a repeat would end the same way, with a Mosley decision win.

Oscar-Cotto...... Hmmmm..... now we're getting somewhere. Oscar doesn't like it to the body, does he? Hopkins' one-punch liver shot reduced Oscar to a canvas-pounding heap. I wonder what a well-placed Cotto left hook would do? I can only salivate at the thought.

Oscar-Cintron. Yeah, I know everyone thinks Kermit's still a bit raw. And maybe he is. But let me tell you, Manny Steward is one genius of a trainer. And mark my words.... Cintron will be a MAJOR FORCE at 147 soon enough. What am I talking about... he's already a champ. But this is just wishful thinking. Oscar's computer would spit out: "low reward, high risk" This is one matchup that would never get made.

So there you have it. C'mon down, Oscar!
    So Oscar doesn't like getting hit to the body? Well Cotto doesn't like getting hit on the chin. I say Oscar ko's him with a good left hoot.

Cintron has nothing that makes me believe he wouldn't get ko'ed by Oscar.

Williams:could win on how many punches he throws, but Oscar is faster, and he is a much better fighter than Margarito.
    Harder punchers than Oscar haven't knocked Cotto out..... I doubt Oscar would. But I'd gladly sit and watch Oscar mix it up with Cotto. Miguel's hooks to the body come in square and tend to dig in, different than the apparently glancing Hopkins body blow that put Oscar down. Couple of those and Oscar would be looking for a spot of canvas to punch in frustration.

Did I just read that Cotto hasn't faced anyone with close to the power, let alone been hit with anything close to Oscars left hook. And the times when Cotto has been hurt by a puncher, it was a puncher who didn't follow it up with any variety or killer instinct... Torres rocked the hell out of him with a couple short hooks but then threw nothing else whatsoever in his attempt to finish. I guess Corley was a harder puncher than Oscar though, what with the one counterpunch he put Miguel on queer street with Not to mention his attempt to follow up on Miguel who did his best impression of a newborn calf for a full minute Im not saying Cotto isn't becoming, or isn't one hell of a fighter... But I laugh to myself when his fans try and act like because he's made it out of a couple tough spots against B level fighters he couldn't possibly be in any danger against an elite, bigger man with KO power.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't claim Corley was a big puncher, did I? Is Cotto's career limited to the Corley and Torres fights? No..... it's not. And by the way, Torres IS a big puncher, as evidenced by his KO record. Cotto has also fought other credible opposition that people choose to ignore. Even Judah is considered to be a good puncher by many. (Well, at least he was until Cotto beat him. Now he's a bum).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I'm glad that u scored it 116-112 Mr. Giampa. And I'm glad PBF got the dec since I had bet on him to win. But the other 2 judges had it 115-113 & 113-115. SD win for PBF. Hardly a blow out. If everyone that PBF would/could beat by that margin should hang'em up then there wouldn't be many people fighting.

What are u getting at when u say making weight & being effective are 2 different things? I guess that u think that Ricky Hatton is big enough to fight at LHW? You're making my point. You say ODH "a guy that's big enough to make MW". Anybody that steps on a scale at 160lbs is a MW. The point is he's NOT big enough to fight at MW. He had enough sense to know this before the Hopkins fight & got a 156lb weight limit. Knowing this he had the ba**s to go test his limitations. His previous fights a MW have nothing to do with how effective of a WW he is. This discussion is about WW ODH, not MW.

The Sturm fight. Get over it. It's in the books. ODH got the W. And B-Hop a big/alltime great MW king beat him. Big deal. Why do u insist on talking about his MW fights? (whether u like it, agree with or not he went 1-1 @MW).

What have u posted that points to him not being able to be a very dangerous guy at WW?

Because YOUR score & not the judges is the one that counts in his MW fight with Sturm? (A fight that he got the W)

Because alltime great B-Hop beat him at MW? (So what)

Because P4P king PBF won a SD against him? (Yeah, that's the end of the road for a guy if that happens.)

So again, what makes u so sure that he can't win at WW?--------Because u just don't like him isn't a real good reason.

Maybe ur the one that should being paying more attention to some relevant details.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't claim Corley was a big puncher, did I? Is Cotto's career limited to the Corley and Torres fights? No..... it's not. And by the way, Torres IS a big puncher, as evidenced by his KO record. Cotto has also fought other credible opposition that people choose to ignore. Even Judah is considered to be a good puncher by many. (Well, at least he was until Cotto beat him. Now he's a bum).

Oh, and by the way.... p4pk. You're not implying that Oscar himself is among the heaviest of WW punchers, are you? Good timing with his left hook... yes. A heavy puncher capable of one-punch KO power against the sturdy Cotto? Naw-w-w...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by silent assassin

Well I'm glad that u scored it 116-112 Mr. Giampa. And I'm glad PBF got the dec since I had bet on him to win. But the other 2 judges had it 115-113 & 113-115. SD win for PBF. Hardly a blow out. If everyone that PBF would/could beat by that margin should hang'em up then there wouldn't be many people fighting.

What are u getting at when u say making weight & being effective are 2 different things? I guess that u think that Ricky Hatton is big enough to fight at LHW? You're making my point. You say ODH "a guy that's big enough to make MW". Anybody that steps on a scale at 160lbs is a MW. The point is he's NOT big enough to fight at MW. He had enough sense to know this before the Hopkins fight & got a 156lb weight limit. Knowing this he had the ba**s to go test his limitations. His previous fights a MW have nothing to do with how effective of a WW he is. This discussion is about WW ODH, not MW.

The Sturm fight. Get over it. It's in the books. ODH got the W. And B-Hop a big/alltime great MW king beat him. Big deal. Why do u insist on talking about his MW fights? (whether u like it, agree with or not he went 1-1 @MW).

What have u posted that points to him not being able to be a very dangerous guy at WW?

Because YOUR score & not the judges is the one that counts in his MW fight with Sturm? (Afight that he got the W)

Because P4P king PBF won a SD against him? (Yeah, that's the end of the road for a guy if that happens.)

So again, what makes u so sure that he can't win at WW?--------Because u just don't like him isn't a real good reason.

Maybe ur the one that should being paying more attention to some relevant details.
    You won't win an argument with El Gamo though. Expect him to hit back hard with details of ring ranked opponents and various other statistical data. Oscar is a part Mexican man after all and nobody studies Mexican men better than El Gamo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by silent assassin

Because YOUR score & not the judges is the one that counts in his MW fight with Sturm? (Afight that he got the W)

You won't win an argument with El Gamo though. Expect him to hit back hard with details of ring ranked opponents and various other statistical data. Oscar is a part Mexican man after all and nobody studies Mexican men better than El Gamo
    LOL!!! Thanks for the CC.

What can I say? I am anxiously awaiting anything that would make even a little sense about the point that he was trying to make. I just hope that it won't be a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with ODH fighting at WW.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, and by the way.... p4pk. You're not implying that Oscar himself is among the heaviest of WW punchers, are you? Good timing with his left hook... yes. A heavy puncher capable of one-punch KO power against the sturdy Cotto? Naw-w-w...
    I was implying that Cotto has never fought anyone with nearly as much power as Oscar has. He's also never fought anyone nearly as good overall. You can dispute that if you like, Id really like to hear you try. And assuming Oscar could make welterweight without sacrificing too much, I really don't see many(if any) fighters who pack a better punch than his left hook... Maybe Cintron has more sheer power, who else though?? imo Oscar could definetly KO Cotto with a good left hook. Why on earth not?? Miguels been badly hurt when tagged on the chin by much lesser fighters, that's why I brought up Corley and Torres... To date the hardest puncher Cotto has fought is likely Judah. and I thought Zab was going to beat him so I can't do anything but give Cotto lots of credit for that fight... But Judah is still no DLH, he doesn't hit as hard, he isn't as big, not NEARLY as tough, which is why Id favour Oscar to win the fight. Again this is all assuming Oscar can even make welterweight. But I don't see why he'd take a fight there if he didn't know he could make it... Unless it was strictly to fight Hatton for the biggest payday despite being less effective.. Which I guess is possible considering the ease which he'd handle Hatton imo.

Thread Information