Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CALZAGHE v KESSLER (includes full fight schedule and times)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default CALZAGHE v KESSLER (includes full fight schedule and times)

This Is Big
    Frank Warren is confident Joe Calzaghe's unification superfight against Mikkel Kessler will set a new world attendance record for an indoor boxing event.

The Millennium Stadium will host the showdown on November 3 with 70,000 tickets available, of which 17,500 have already been sold even though the fight was only confirmed last Wednesday.

Muhammad Ali's rematch against Leon Spinks holds the record with 63,500 descending on the Louisiana Superdome in 1978 to watch 'The Greatest' win the world heavyweight title for a third time.

Promoter Warren said: "Getting Joe and Mikkel together is very expensive.

"Kessler's people wanted the fight in Copenhagen but ultimately money swung it to be held over here. It's always about the money!

"The fact it's happening in Cardiff is a great bonus and we have a major record to break.

"The record for an indoor gate in the sport is 63,500 and I think we'll have more than that at the Millennium Stadium on November 3.

"If that happens it will be the world's biggest indoor boxing event.

"That's what we're aiming for. We've already sold 17,500 tickets which is a tremendous response. Only the Mike Tyson fight sold tickets quicker.

"There should be around 5,000 of Kessler's fans coming over from Denmark. They'll be arriving in their long boats and hopefully they'll be returning with long boats!"

Kessler is arguably Calzaghe's greatest challenge to date with the 28-year-old WBC and WBA super-middleweight champion unbeaten in 39 fights.

But Warren believes the Dane will bring the best out of Calzaghe, whose WBO belt and unblemished record will also be on the line in Cardiff.

"When Joe really wants a fight, it has brought the best out of him," he said.

"There have been a few fights like Chris Eubank, Jeff Lacy, Charles Brewer and Byron Mitchell that Joe was really up for.

"Joe has too much for Kessler. It's a tough fight but Joe is at the top of his game at the moment and is a very hard fighter to beat.

"He has a great chin, can punch and has tremendous hand speed."

Millenium Fight Schedule.....
    http://www.frankwarren.tv/drill/News...ing-order.html

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: CALZAGHE v KESSLER

Much as the organiser's of this website find issues to clash with Sports Network about coverage, there is no doubt in my mind that this fight is absolutely huge. Calzaghe v Kessler is without question the biggest fight at super middleweight that could be arranged, and as I've said before, Frank Warren has done well to get this one nailed down, and ensure that it is happening.

I don't give a flying f**k about the arguments and debates that have gone before, this one has been put in the record books, and we will see two of the best SMW's the world has ever seen get in the ring come Nov 3, and if you aint there, then where the f**k are you?!?!?

Much as I dislike the Warren machine, this one is what the fans wanted, so roll on Nov 3!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    Much as the organiser's of this website find issues to clash with Sports Network about coverage, there is no doubt in my mind that this fight is absolutely huge. Calzaghe v Kessler is without question the biggest fight at super middleweight that could be arranged, and as I've said before, Frank Warren has done well to get this one nailed down, and ensure that it is happening.

I don't give a flying f**k about the arguments and debates that have gone before, this one has been put in the record books, and we will see two of the best SMW's the world has ever seen get in the ring come Nov 3, and if you aint there, then where the f**k are you?!?!?

Much as I dislike the Warren machine, this one is what the fans wanted, so roll on Nov 3!!!
    You know what Warren has put some better match ups on recently and this continues on Staurday, so im pretty pleased he has stepped up this year long may it continue.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The manfredo fight was properly scraping the Barrel and i reckon Frank would be first to admit that
    Onwards and upwards and i have faith he's gonna deliver some massive fights from here on in.
    C'mon frankie boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just bought tickets for this cant wait for november personally i think kessler is to one dimensional to cause Joe any problems but cant wait for the fight.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, with Enzo Maccarinelli possibly unifying with Steve Cunningham and Gavin Rees making a voluntary defence of his belt, I think there are two things for certain.

1) An awesome night of boxing.
    2) Enzo Calzaghe being bloody exhausted by the end of it.

Also, it's about time they stepped up Gary Lockett to some decent opposition, and this would be as good a chance as any IMO.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enzo Calz is one of the best trainers on the planet and rising,did you see the jedi like pad work he was doing with Enzo before the ringwalks.
    And at the manfredo fight i think he set the record for the most amount of fighters trained by anyone.
    not bad for a Chuckle brother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Super Joe Calzaghe
    Hello Katfight

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Enzo Calz is one of the best trainers on the planet and rising,did you see the jedi like pad work he was doing with Enzo before the ringwalks.
    And at the manfredo fight i think he set the record for the most amount of fighters trained by anyone.
    not bad for a Chuckle brother
    Lol...good shout on the chuckle brother comment Smash, now that I think about it I can see him as one. However, there was a teacher in court here in Wales for assaulting a pupil who compared him to a chuckle brother.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...name_page.html

Ch-ch-chucklevision, ch-chucklevision, ch-ch-chucklevision.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How will Kessler Cope?- Joe Speaks

"I landed over 1000 clean punches on Lacy and right now I'm punching harder, faster and more accurate than ever before so I wouldn't be surprised if I doubled that figure on Kessler," says WBO super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe in regard to his November 3 bout with WBC/WBA champ Mikkel Kessler in Cardiff, Wales. Calzaghe, boxing's longest reigning world champion, will be making a division record-tying 21st WBO world title defense. "This fight has really lit my fire because, like in the Lacy fight, I'm the underdog against Kessler which is fine by me. Everyone was saying that my time was up against Lacy and that I would get battered by him, instead, I used all the comments to fuel my desire to give him a real good beating. It's the same against Kessler, they all see this young, dangerous, fighter who is going to smash me up. That's fine by me, I'm using it to motivate me to put in a great performance. I've been at the top for ten years, with 20 world title defenses and faced the best around and when the pressure's on that's when I perform to my best ability. The question is how will Kessler cope?"

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fresh from Joe's myspace page

WHAT a night at the CIA on Saturday! All five of my dad's fighters did him proud and Gavin Rees and Enzo Maccarinelli were simply awesome. I can't remember enjoying a show more than that for a very long time.

Enzo did brilliantly against Wayne Big Truck' Braithwaite. He didn't let himself get wound up by the American's antics and he boxed really well.

He couldn't knock him out but he put him on the canvas early on, his jab worked superbly and he proved once and for all that he's much more than just a big punch.

I was delighted for Enzo but I think even he'll admit that the star of the night was Gavin Rees.

For our little gym in Newbridge to have four world champions is simply amazing and I was delighted for Gavin to realise his dream.

I've known Gav since he was nine years old. People say he's had his ups and downs outside the ring and a few years ago it did look like he'd really messed things up, but for him to come through that and beat someone of the quality of M'Baye is fantastic.

Everyone made Gav a big underdog but I know how hard he trained for the fight and even though he was tiring towards the end I thought he looked pretty comfortable.

Who knows what the future holds for Gav now. Ricky Hatton has been mentioned but I think he should get a few defences under his belt first and raise his profile a bit, hopefully on the same bill as my fight against Kessler on November 3.

I was ringside on the Saturday and I was throwing every punch with Gav and cheering on all the guys from the gym.

Nathan Cleverly looked really good in beating Ayitey Powers and so did Kerry Hope against Sherman Alleyne but I've got to give a special mention to Harry Miles who made his pro debut and knocked out Matthew Lloyd.

Harry was due to fight at the Millennium Stadium in April when I beat Manfredo but he had to pull out with an injury so I was pleased that he had such a good win on Saturday and I'm sure he's another one with a very bright future.

A lot has been made of Bernard Hopkins calling me out after his so-called fight against Winky Wright at the weekend but I'm not taking it too seriously. It's easy for him to shoot his mouth off when I've already got a fight lined up against Kessler.

If he really wanted to fight me he would have done it a few years ago, he definitely had his chance. But if he shows me the money after Kessler I'll happily go over there and sort him out.

There's also been some talk this week about me and Enzo taking part in the cement race in Swansea next month where you run carrying a big bag of cement.

Enzo does it every year and it seems I've somehow talked myself into it. As long as it doesn't interfere with training I may give it a go, but I'll probably ask them to do me a favour and put a bit less cement in my bag - I don't want to do my back in!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

K i'm goin
    Who else gonna be der

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    K i'm goin
    Who else gonna be der
    I think we had 9 or 10 folks who were going to go for a saddo's drink, there was a thread a while ago but I can't be assed to look for it. I'm sure it'll pop up sometime before the fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a bad idea that, i'm pissed that i cant see ricky in vegas so i guess il try use Calzaghe Kessler as a substitute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well ive already got my tickets if everyone from here is going for a drink should meet up in the prince of wales or western be a good laugh..... ive possibly got a slim slim chance of ringside as the mrs knows one of the ushers if that happens ill be taking plenty of pics to upload....

edit:- sory assuming you all live in cardiff like me....anyone need any help with stuff about cardiff or directions and stuff ill know....
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Thread Information