Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Winky was as popular as ODH would he be undefeated??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Winky was as popular as ODH would he be undefeated??

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I don't see how anybody could think the second ODLH-Mosley fight was a "robbery."

Maybe a slightly bad decision (although not IMO I thought Mosley won it close) but no way was it a "robbery." Mosley landed the far more effective punches, ODLH got WAY too much credit for punches that didn't even land, Lampley would just talk about that great ODLH "flurry", except that most of the punches didn't even land.
    I know compubox doesn't mean everything, but if I recall right there was a big disparity in favor of Oscar
    Even though Oscar got way too much credit for missing punches, I'm not surprised that he landed more. But they were such ineffective punches, Shane's on the other hand were effective punches, definitely his body punching.

I just never got the whole outrage over the supposed robbery. Oscar landed more, Shane landed much better punches. I can see giving it to Oscar by a round or two but it wasn't a robbery, it wasn't like Oscar dominated or anything, although you would have thought so listening to Lampley.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll agree that it was a very close fight...but I remeber having it 7-5 for oscar, and that the rounds being pretty open and shut
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_BHB
    Tito beat Oscar

and Vargas did winky by a point imo

what a shocking revelation after seeing you id name
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see how anybody could think the second ODLH-Mosley fight was a "robbery."

Maybe a slightly bad decision (although not IMO I thought Mosley won it close) but no way was it a "robbery." Mosley landed the far more effective punches, ODLH got WAY too much credit for punches that didn't even land, Lampley would just talk about that great ODLH "flurry", except that most of the punches didn't even land.
    I know compubox doesn't mean everything, but if I recall right there was a big disparity in favor of Oscar

Even though Oscar got way too much credit for missing punches, I'm not surprised that he landed more. But they were such ineffective punches, Shane's on the other hand were effective punches, definitely his body punching.

I just never got the whole outrage over the supposed robbery. Oscar landed more, Shane landed much better punches. I can see giving it to Oscar by a round or two but it wasn't a robbery, it wasn't like Oscar dominated or anything, although you would have thought so listening to Lampley.
    these effective punches that everyone talks about which mosley landed were only being landed in the last couple of rounds when oscar seemed to have fatigued. From the very begining oscar gave shane a boxing lesson controlled the ring and used his jab to frustrate shane. have a look at shane's face everytime he went to his corner and even as the decision was being announced, even he was shocked to learn he was the winner.
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ODH is as popular as ODH & he has not always gotten the nod in a close fight.

A blowout that turns into a robbery is one thing but when a close fight goes to the cards a decision is made & that's a wrap. It goes into the books & needs to be excepted. There shouldn't be any pissing & moaning about how 3 judges should've seen/scored a fight.

The average person with no scoring experience would think that someone was crazy if another person told them "YOUR opinion of what YOU saw is not right. You need to have MY opinion about what happened in that close fight that we just watched. If you don't then your wrong." So why should anyone complain about professional score keepers cards in a close fight? It's the judges opinions & those are the ones that count. they're the only ones gett'n paid to score if it goes the distance. Everyone's obviously entitled to their own respective opinions, but the belly aching gets silly sometime.

Unless it's a draw, then somebody has to win & somebody has to lose. It's not the judges fault if a fighter gets into alot of very close fights.

For the record Winky is a great fighter but clearly lost this fight IMO.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think he would be undefeated as the Velazquez & Hopkins defeats were just! His other loses were all close affairs but I had him winning the Simon & Vargas fights quite clearly! I also had him ahead vs Taylor.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chamiley

these effective punches that everyone talks about which mosley landed were only being landed in the last couple of rounds when oscar seemed to have fatigued. From the very begining oscar gave shane a boxing lesson controlled the ring and used his jab to frustrate shane. have a look at shane's face everytime he went to his corner and even as the decision was being announced, even he was shocked to learn he was the winner.
    I have to agree with you. I remember watching that fight and going to bed before the decision (it was like 5 am over here) thinking it was a foregone conclusion for Oscar, he bossed the fight and Shane seemed really sluggish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar's been on both sides of the scorecards. He's won controversial decisions and he's lost controversial decisions as well. although he's been on the winning side more than the losing side.

I think Quartey clearly beat Oscar. That always stuck out to me as the worst decision that Oscar benefited from.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for DLH I think he should have got the nod against Trinidad & although the 2nd Mosley fight was close I thought he won! Against Quartey Whitaker & Sturm I think he was lucky not to lose!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really believe that biased comentators have in many ocations swayed the opinion of viewers to contradict the judges at ring sied. One example that I always point to is the Tito - DLH fight and I tell people to watch that fight with the volume turned down and there is no way that you will see DLH winning the first 9 rounds as some people clame. Yes he was ahead at this point but he most defenately did not win all of the first 9.

As to Winky, I did not know that there was such a one sided fight in his career where he got KD several times. So I guess that makes this thread pointless. And I didn't mean if he was Oscar, I meant if he was as popular. So I will rephrase the question.

What should Winky's record be in your opinion?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    Oscar's been on both sides of the scorecards. He's won controversial decisions and he's lost controversial decisions as well. although he's been on the winning side more than the losing side.

I think Quartey clearly beat Oscar. That always stuck out to me as the worst decision that Oscar benefited from.
    i completely disagree, i re-watched the fight just Saturday and i thought that DLH won the fight clearly, and would say the Whitaker fight was the most controversial win on DLH's record, and was still close at that, but one thing i'm pretty sure we can agree on

THAT WAS A HELL OF A 12TH ROUND AGAINST QUARTEY!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No

Thread Information