Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Ray Robbinson always be considered the greatest fighter P4P?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Ray Robbinson always be considered the greatest fighter P4P?

I have seen some clips of Robbinson's fights. He always looks impressive. He had power and speed. And I also heard that there are no videos of any fight were he was considered at his prime, which is a real shame but also points out that he was even better than what we now see. His 94 wins in a row is a truly amazing feat and his record speaks greatness.

With that said, is it not possible that there have been better fighters after or even before him. Could it be that the level of competition at the time was not exactly the highest quality. Could it be that fighters today have better training methods and improved skills. Could the general public be saying "he's the best" more out of habit than of any real boxing knowledge.

If any of you know anything about rock and roll you would know that since the 70s, "Starway to Heaven" has been considered, without a doubt, the greatest rock song ever made. It is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame along with their great band also considered the greatest Rock band ever. But do we honestly believe that out of the millions of songs composed since then there hasn't been a better song made. I can think of four or five that I like more. But nobody would ever consider replacing that #1 spot.

I, sometimes, believe it is the same way with Robbinson. Surely there have been fighters that have performed well enough to be placed at that #1 spot. Lets take the time and name a few:

Mohamed Ali showed great skill and dominated his division at his time. His level of competition is unquestionably one of the best ever as it is considered a golden age of the HW division. One can only imagine what he could have accomplished if he had not been robbed 3 years of his prime and if he had stepped into the ring in that first fight with Frazier a fully active and well condition fighter.

Sugar Ray Leonard who took on Robbinson's nick name and represented it well. He too faced the highest quality of opposition as he was a member of the so called Fav 4 and was the only one of the group to hold a victory over each of the other members. He also clearly beat another hall of famer in Wilfredo Benitez. He had speed, power, a good chin and knew how to give the crowed what they wanted with his flashy, unforgettable combinations. He, like Ali, fought till he was way passed his prime and his record is less great than it should have been.

Roy Jones Jr is a fighter that possessed such great reflex and ability that he managed to go through almost his entire career without truly possesing much boxing technique but he still managed to dominate pretty much anyone that stepped in the ring against him on shier ability alone. Many believe that during his rise through the Supermiddle weight division he was unbeatable. However he suffered from what many believe to be a lack of quality opposition and his two knockout losses dimmed his brilliance in the eyes of some fans.

Floyd Maywether Jr is a fighter that has truly mastered what is the skill of boxing. His style seems at times flawless and to this day none have managed to put a dent on his perfect reccord. He, like Jones, suffers from a belief that he has not face high quality opposition and his achievements of multidivision titles has been somewhat diminished as his rise happend just at a time when no true champion stood on his way. Even his latest win against Oscar has been tainted with a split decision and claims that he beat an old Oscar.

I'm certain there have been others who deserve a claim on that #1 status but might not have been as popular or had enough big wins to be considered. The point is, maybe it is time for us to start looking into the possibility that there might be better fighters out there. I, for one, am still looking. But I also recognize that that top spot is by no means reserved or taken. It is open to anyone who shows he deserves it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Ray Robbinson always be considered the greatest fighter P4P?

CC for this little presentation, and i have to say i am in total agreement with ur point of view. Along with the factors you have mentioned we have got to consider the "technology factor" Boxing has changed, the rules have been altered, training has advanced and evolved. Would robinson adapt to the new system and still rule?

In my exposure to SRR i have witnessed him pulling out fights on a number of occasions in the championship rounds of his fights. However, in modern boxing the rounds considered the championship rounds by Robinson, namely 13, 14, 15 are missing would 12 rounders suit Sugar?

Modern fights are a lot less regular, allowing more time for recuperation and preparation between fights. Fighters of old may have suffered disadvantages of not healing sufficiently between fights and not training correctly as a result. Was sugar ray ever in the ring with a fighter of the condition of Hagler/Jones/mayweather etc.? (I also note to myself that these conditions could favour robinson)

Today fights are much more strictly regualted by referees/officials, If fights such as Basilio/La Motta/Fulmer v Robinson occured today would Sugar have been stopped in a situation he pulled through in history?

Still can't take anything away from sugar, he was a ATG, but he was not God nor was he invincible,
    SRR V Julian Jackson?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm, only one reply. I guess no one is ready to debate the possibility of removing Robbinson from his throne?

ICB Guest

Yes and the reason why is Ray Robinson was 1 in a million fighters today are too protected and will never achieve what Ray Robinson Willie Pep or Henry Armstrong done plus i don't think alot of the newer fighters get the credit they deserve and the older fighters will always be rated higher thats just the way it goes but i doubt any fighter will achieve anything even close to Robinson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Yes and the reason why is Ray Robinson was 1 in a million fighters today are too protected and will never achieve what Ray Robinson Willie Pep or Henry Armstrong done plus i don't think alot of the newer fighters get the credit they deserve and the older fighters will always be rated higher thats just the way it goes but i doubt any fighter will achieve anything even close to Robinson.
    sounds about right. Member that if robinson had todays training mehtods etc it would of made him a even better fighter considering he probably had the most natural talent of any boxer in history.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably. Guys like Armstrong, Ali, Leonard, Jones & Mayweather have done great things but none have surpassed Robinson. For a new guy to take over they would have to do truly exception things!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight more than twice a year, three times a year minimum. Exceptional fights with many champions and world class athletes and boxers young and old. And to keep it up for over a decade.

I don't think it will happen. Not in this age. The fight game is different now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Floyd were to beat Mosely, Cotto, Hatton, Williams and then step up to win a title at 160 lbs all the time remaining undefeated he might get close?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Fight more than twice a year, three times a year minimum. Exceptional fights with many champions and world class athletes and boxers young and old. And to keep it up for over a decade.

True but as fans we can only hope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    If Floyd were to beat Mosely, Cotto, Hatton, Williams and then step up to win a title at 160 lbs all the time remaining undefeated he might get close?
    Without a loss it doesn't matter what you seem to do in history's eyes, there has to be that one guy that pushed you to the limit and you lose and come back and win decisively. Castillo didn't push Floyd to his limits IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy.

Yeah, cc you and the thead maker Rookie. Yeah, I hope too.

These days, a fighter loses and it's all over, he fights so less that he'll have to wait a year or so to get another matchup with a contender, I'm not talking champ. It will take about another year to get a fight with a contender.

Some guys have all this energy, I KNOW they can do it. But the norm is that they must fight twice a year once they are elite.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy.

Yeah, cc you and the thead maker Rookie. Yeah, I hope too.

These days, a fighter loses and it's all over, he fights so less that he'll have to wait a year or so to get another matchup with a contender, I'm not talking champ. It will take about another year to get a fight with a contender.

Some guys have all this energy, I KNOW they can do it. But the norm is that they must fight twice a year once they are elite.
    cc back bro, I agree I don't know whats up with only fighting a couple times a year. If fighters are content to only fight a couple of times then each fight must be against an elite opponent. A lose is not the end... get in the gym & come back against another top guy!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I still consider Butterbean the best P4P fighter that ever lived. Who's with me?

Skelton vs. Butterbean is money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

had roy retired after the first tarver fight he'd be number one....but nah no one will pass him (SRR)
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"And I also heard that there are no videos of any fight were he was considered at his prime"

Is this really true? I have looked before (with no success) but is this true

Thread Information