Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HBO this Saturday: Could it get any worse?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO this Saturday: Could it get any worse?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I don't think Baldomir Vs. Forrest is a bad fight. Despite being a harsh critic I am willing to sit and watch just about any matchup offered to me. Like I said though, I have seen much worse than these two fellas.

Sure, Forrest will prob fight on the run and Baldomir will swing like a rusty gate but I'm looking forward to it all the same.
    I agree, I think it could be interesting because Carlos will be there for Vernon to hit - hopefully we'll see him throw his right cross a great deal. Carlos wasn't a real big puncher @ 147 so he should have even less pop @ 154. I hope/think Vernon will be more willing to take risks & throw his big shots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I don't think Baldomir Vs. Forrest is a bad fight. Despite being a harsh critic I am willing to sit and watch just about any matchup offered to me. Like I said though, I have seen much worse than these two fellas.

Sure, Forrest will prob fight on the run and Baldomir will swing like a rusty gate but I'm looking forward to it all the same.
    I'm with ya....i can't exactly say i'm gonna clear my schedule and have a bunch of people over but i'll definatly watch just about any fight...i can see why people get frustrated and think this fight is ass though..
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anything with Berto Im going to see. I think Mayorga Vargas is much more intersting than Vernon Baldi but just as meaningless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I don't know why people are complaining, could be worse, it could be off TV altogether.
    Cause HBO could just show a lot of better fights or fighters.

BAD used to be good, especially when they were focusing more on up and coming fighters.

Now its two guys, on the brink of retirement, in a fairly inconsequential fight. There should at least be an undercard. I don't know, I may watch it, it might be a good fight, who knows, but its definitely not very good matchmaking.
    My point is that this fight could be off tv altogether, that'd be worse right? I'm with you on the fact that the card kinda sucks but at least there's something to watch this Saturday. Plus you never know it could be a great fight, sometimes all hell breaks loose out of nowhere.
    I see what you're saying Dan but if it was not on TV,would anyone really care? I agree with Ouma,I too think that we need to make more tv time for the younger stars,the older guys can have their time too but we need to make new stars for the future and we do that by giving them exposure. Imagine how awesome it would have been if fights like Miranda-Pavlik,Marquez-Vazquez etc had been given some of the hype Oscar Floyd had been given.

I'd much much much rather see Guzman-Soto than Vargas Mayorga: 2 guys who have been brutally knocked one too many times,and have looked like shadows of their former selves.Mayorga cannot even handle 154 imo let alone the ridiculous catch weight of 162 and Vargas should have retired a while ago.

Guzman-Soto are 2 guys in/reaching their primes,great syles match up and the winner get a shot at the bigtime.These are the type of fights that need hyping.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Landon
    Anything with Berto Im going to see. I think Mayorga Vargas is much more intersting than Vernon Baldi but just as meaningless.
    Is Berto on the same card though?

I doubt they'll show it, HBO just usually shows the replay from last week, then the main event.

I agree about the second part, they're both meaningless but at least Mayorga-Vargas is watchable.

After saying all of this Forrest-Baldozar will probably end up being an all out war

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok it looks like it's left for Bilbo to play Devil's Advocate once again but I'm actually looking forward to this fight!

Ok so neither of them is probably going to do much in the division but ultimately is that all we watch boxing for?

Personally a good scrap to me is one that is evenly matched and this certainly has the makings of a fight that could go either way.

Ok, so neither fighter is as glamourous as say Cotto or Williams right now but Baldimor was the undisputed welterweight champion only last year and Vernon Forrest is a two time conquerer of Shane Mosely and a former top 10 p4p star.

It's a crossroads fight for both fighters, the winner will probably go on to have one last chance, the loser will probably have to go back to selling feather dusters.

These kind of make or break fights are always intriguing.

I agree that the Berto card should be shown, especially considering the potential for upset that exists there with Riveria coming within a whisker of beating Joel Julio a few months back.

Still I'm more than happy we get one fight at least to watch, and I'd personally rather watch two veteran fighters in a pick'em fight than one superstar in a walkover exhibition fight any day of the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I don't know why people are complaining, could be worse, it could be off TV altogether.
    Cause HBO could just show a lot of better fights or fighters.

BAD used to be good, especially when they were focusing more on up and coming fighters.

Now its two guys, on the brink of retirement, in a fairly inconsequential fight. There should at least be an undercard. I don't know, I may watch it, it might be a good fight, who knows, but its definitely not very good matchmaking.
    My point is that this fight could be off tv altogether, that'd be worse right? I'm with you on the fact that the card kinda sucks but at least there's something to watch this Saturday. Plus you never know it could be a great fight, sometimes all hell breaks loose out of nowhere.
    I see what you're saying Dan but if it was not on TV,would anyone really care? I agree with Ouma,I too think that we need to make more tv time for the younger stars,the older guys can have their time too but we need to make new stars for the future and we do that by giving them exposure. Imagine how awesome it would have been if fights like Miranda-Pavlik,Marquez-Vazquez etc had been given some of the hype Oscar Floyd had been given.

I'd much much much rather see Guzman-Soto than Vargas Mayorga: 2 guys who have been brutally knocked one too many times,and have looked like shadows of their former selves.Mayorga cannot even handle 154 imo let alone the ridiculous catch weight of 162 and Vargas should have retired a while ago.

Guzman-Soto are 2 guys in/reaching their primes,great syles match up and the winner get a shot at the bigtime.These are the type of fights that need hyping.
    Yeah no question that Guzman v Soto is miles better than both of these match ups. I think Guzman really can be p4p top 3 material.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Ok so neither of them is probably going to do much in the division but ultimately is that all we watch boxing for?
    no but it helps when its a fight that at least I consider to be horrid matchmaking. I guess that's where we just disagree, I'm not looking forward to the fight at all. If it was an interesting matchup to me then I wouldn't really care how much it mattered in the long term.

But the two guys are both very very boring fighters to me AND it doesn't matter, bad combination.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I nearly always disagree with you Bil and it's no different this time but 1 point I want to raise is the "crossroads" fight term. It's used way too much,and is nearly always not true. I remember the Shane v Vargas 1 fight:it was a crossraods fight and the loser would be finshed. Then we had number 2. Same thing again and lo,behold,we have Vargas Mayorga. I think the same will apply in this fight. The loser will keep going probably because the division is so weak. I actually recall reading Baldo was retiring after the Floyd fight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know why Ouma's messing round at middleweight with the latin fake, he could be cleaning 154 up.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know why Ouma's messing round at middleweight with the latin fake, he could be cleaning 154 up.
    Totally agree. I actually thought he would do well at 147,I mean I thought he was a small 154 pounder let alone being small at 160. Could you imagine him v someone like Pavlik/Miranda?! 154 is waiting to be cleaned up but the only probelm is,how much credit would anyone get?How many big fights are there to make there??

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure what his matchmakers are trying to do. I didn't even get the point with fights like the Powell one. And I guess they were just trying to get a big payday with Taylor, but why hang around at 160. Just wasting time.

What if Mora's better than we think and too big and he loses. That would be embarrassing, I would rather him lose to just about anybody than Sergio Mora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually don't mind this matchup. I know there's been a lot worse out there. Beats no boxing at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Berto fight is friday night about 3,000 miles away, it is not part of this HBO telecast.
    HBO will show the replay of Hopkins-Wright, and will then show one live fight, Forrest vs. Baldomir.

Not only does this fight figure to be boring, it's also completely the opposite of what HBO's Boxing After Dark series is supposed to be about. BAD was supposed to be showcasing young up-and-coming prospects, not too guys in their mid-30s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I have idea about the Berto fight being shown but I totally agree with everything you said although I think the fight is for a number 1 contender slot for the WBC title? Anyway,you are totally correct,it has no hype and in the grand scheme of things,no significance. I actually think 154 in general is really bad the moment. The one guy I thought might do well,Simms,lost too. The division is wide open.
    That must be because you gave up on Cory Spinks, who would beat either of these guys
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information