Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What works for you in Sparring/Fighting?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What works for you in Sparring/Fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Ha I'll see if I can post a vid of this guy. He's Olympic Quality already.
    Mate i would love to see that video, never really encountered a good counter puncher.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Mate i would love to see that video, never really encountered a good counter puncher.
    Well man, I'll try get it.
    He's pretty lethal at it, although seriously unorthodox!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA-PybmMePA

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post

Ok check 30 seconds in , inslow motion from round one, that's a great double block and counterpunch.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by irish warrior View Post
    in close, cross your arms the way the great archie moore and ken norton did.
    Why?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You only see it occasionally and its more a natural reaction that works really well;
    The quick elbow up like an extended bridge to deflect one that comming over the top of the same arm you see it occasionally and instinctivley during a war.
    And that other one too we talked about Chris where you have missed ,your arm is straight ,your arms extended and they come over the top of it ,so you leave it out there and just turn your center line to face their arm and it stops it dead.
    Both those could have combinations and set footwork put onto them so that they are made to work for you even better: like walking through their blocked arm and covering the other free arm with a hook or rip up the inside as you head out the other way.(nice way out of a corner)

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see how a rising block can work out of a cross armed defense, but I don't see any redeeming points for using that stance.

In Archie Moore's case, I think he was able to do some nifty moves not so much because he made a wall with his arms, but because his shoulders were square to his opponent which allowed him to use both arms to good effect when he would slip to the inside of his opponent's jab. He'd stop his opponent's right hand while coming in and then bang away with the other hand.

And that other one too we talked about Chris where you have missed ,your arm is straight ,your arms extended and they come over the top of it ,so you leave it out there and just turn your center line to face their arm and it stops it dead.
    Hmmm, it sounds like a sort of leverage block, like how one fighter's jab can deflect anothers. I like the one you mentioned because of the economy of movement and how it allows you to follow up with a hard right hand.

Good Stuff.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find aggresive Fighting works well for me personaly as i am strong.iv always fought this way and wouldnt change it.Works well with the judges if it goes the distance as they like boxers who go forward

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irish warrior View Post
    in close, cross your arms the way the great archie moore and ken norton did.
    Why?
    Not sure cross your arms maybe the wrong word.

I'd love someone to cross their arms when i can reach them ,you just pin the front one to the rear one as you move in and go to work with your free arm so its no arms verses one nasty one for a second.

Maybe he ment the elbow up at temple level with the same fist down angled across to other side of your chin and the other arm elbow down fist up so its a loose type of peek a boo but can give you protection from below and the space to see, but you have to control them with one arm dropping and the other launching around their attack in a hook as you move (ok to counter those who go low bodily and throw double armed upper cuts when you start to cover up one arm comes down like a bar ,you lean slightly block, step out sideways turn back in and and hook. Unlike the peek a boo where you can just take it on the arms and gloves and wait the opening or go lower and search for one.

Nose to nose You can even go from peek a boo gloves up elbows down (the opening is in between your elbows,) he goes and leans forwrds even lower and throws rising stright shots or uppercuts, you transit to elbow up elbow down as you start to turn for protection so your lower arm contacts and blocks them as you step out you can exchange arms, top arm comes down and makes contact over the top of his arm on the same side your heading out to , the original lower arm follows your leg out and around and is then head hunting him (temple shot) from the unseen side your stepping to, it lands as you turn back to him releasing the side of you thats closer to him by pulling that foot around behind you. Looks unco but your in control and not walking into anything your moving away from the threat and disguising your final intention.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    One little trick iv found (dangerous) but effective is to throw a slow jab whilst moving in, which drops to the waist before it lands, a right hand is released as you see his guard going up, allowing you to pick ur spot and land a straight right usually by the ear or high on the forehead.
    The step in will encourage him to raise guard rather than slip.

A basic one for when u need to be defensive minded is jus to use "taps." This means simply tapping the lead glove off the forehead occasionaly so as to ensure the guard is high enough.
    Not to criticize you, but why not just just feint while you're coming in? You can still good reaction out of your opponent this way, especially if you landed a few quick jabs while moving in prior to that. A dangerous move could be that you throw your jab out slow to draw a right hand from your opponent that you'd be ready to counter. This in itself could be dangerous because they might go for a counterjab, or go for the other openings.

You could give them a tap on their head to bring their guard up and then go for the opening on their body where ever you see them. It might work too to feint higher than you would normally feint to make them bring their hands up to their forhead to give you many openings to choose from. You can throw a jab if that's what does the trick, or even hook up high.

One thing that I liked when I watched the old time greats like Benny Leonard and Tommy Loughran is that they'd feint with their feet. They would take take a quick step forward often while incorporating a hand feint, and just as their opponent leads they take a step back. Sometimes the opponent would react to the feint by bringing their hands up. then Loughran or Leonard would go after the opening. It's like a mongoose provoking the snake, moving quickly away from it's deadly strike and biting it on the neck. Just like Grey said, "Make them lead, make them miss, and good luck.

There's also another way that you can feint with your feet. This is done by a feint at side-stepping, make them think that you're shifting your attack to the right, and right when they buy it quickly side-step to the left. You then have them in a bad position and can attack to their side. There are many different variations of this that you can practice. I think this is a lot better than the stupid side to side movement that often leads to walking into a right hand.
    I'm surprised at how many quality fighters don't sell the feints with their leg and/or the hands. To me it seems very obvious and I started doing it without being told to do it. Now I practice feints all the time. When first started sparring, I was getting countered with rights over my jab constantly until I got decent enough at feinting AND slipping the right. I'm no where near fast enough to drop the left AFTER a jab to bait a cross.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Usually don't visit this part of the forum, but going into my 3rd smoker (3, 2 min rounds, with 16 oz gloves and headgear) I felt the need to get any advice I can.

I'm glad you all have brought up the topic of feints.

I love them.

What works for me is feinting the right hand either by winding it up like I"m gonna throw an overhand right, or just turning my hips and right shouler, and then coming in with a double jab to the head.

Also I like to look at the body, and feint a jab to it, then step in and shoot a stiff single jab to the head.

Also the "stop drop and pop" as my trainer calls it, where you raise your left hand up in front of their face, or even place it on their head, then drop down and fire a straigh right to the solar plexis.

Far as defense goes, covering up seems to work well for me, specially with the 16 oz gloves.
    lol

All I can really slip is the jab, then try and jab back or come over the top of their lazy jab with my right hand.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm still at the bottom a very high mountain (that means just a beginner), so I work on focused tactics.
    One round I may just counter. One round I may just find range.
    I've been getting into a bat the punch and counter thing for the last few weeks. It's a little more proactive than just catching. Just bat the strike and counter with either punch in the same motion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jab right hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deep breaths before sparring to relax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the best things I have found is always keeping your eyes on the opponents gloves at all times +
    mixing it up to be able to throw a lead right cross or left cross for southpaws followed by a jab.

It still amazes me how rarely this is done. When Pavlik fought Sergio Martinez only one time did he throw a lead right and it landed. Jack Lowe never mentioned to Kelly in the corner to try it more often.
    Once you have a fighter used to the same rhythm it will be hard to land. Mixing a lead power shot will keep them off balance and help land the jab more effectively thus changing the fight or sparring session as they will have to watch for not only a lead jab but lead from both hands.
    Last edited by DogTheBountyHunter; 04-19-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something that I've always found beneficial is sparring under an agreement to only use certain punches.

Spar 3 rounds only using jabs and crosses.
    Spar 3 rounds only allowing jabs and hooks.

It does wonders for learning to dissect patterns and learn to counterpunch effectively

Thread Information