Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rule idea to cut down on dodgy stoppages.....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New rule idea to cut down on dodgy stoppages.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    It seems to me that sometimes we have fights ended too early on a premature stoppage when the stopped fighter is still on his feet and fighting back.

Rafael Marquez last weekend in the most recent example and of course Manfredo's ridicoulously early stoppage earlier this year stand out, another one that sticks in my mind is Angel Manfredy being stopped against Floyd Mayweather.

Anyway in these situations rather than end the fight prematurely wouldn't it be better if like in amatuer boxing the referee could enforce a standing 8 count, so that the fighter gets the benefit of the doubt and a second chance and just as importantly the paying fans don't end up being shortchanged?

I know there would be a danger of them being too standing count happy and interupting the flow of fights but if it was done in a last resort in a situation where a fighter was under pressure but still on his feet and fighting back, and the referee would otherwise stop the fight, an 8 count alternative would be better?
    Yeah but you'd also have to consider Castillo Corrales and if the standing 8 was used there for Castillo would it still have had that classic umf it had.
    It could have been even better, Castillo would have got some precious few seconds and a possible chance to come back.

Remember Castillo himself felt he had not been given a fair chance.
    Memphis already brought it up but that's a prime example of why it would cause a bazillion more disputes and controversies. You can easily spin that scenario and you have Corrales being denied the precious few seconds he needed to finish the fight.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New rule idea to cut down on dodgy stoppages.....

cc Gorrilla.... said something funny in another thread.

And Bilbo... I like your thinking, but I don't agree with it. Premature stoppages are a part of the game.
    Standing 8 counts can prevent KO's of the year. You get me? haha

Thread Information