Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Neck Excercises

How often do you guys work your necks and do you think it helps much for taking punches? Is it worth it to get a neck weight harness or are unweighted yes-no's and bridges just as good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Neck Excercises

I have one of those neck harnesses, and I do 2 sets of 25 reps with a 25 lb plate attached. I incorporate this with my floor work at the end of my boxing work out everytime. Nothing like a strong neck, and while I havent had my first boxing match yet, I know it F#$ing helps to have a strong neck. It did wrestling anyways, one useful thing I've brought from wrestling too, when warming up to loosen up my neck, I balance myself on my neck and walk a 360 on my toes. Strengthens/loosens the neck great. Try it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by exwrestler
    I have one of those neck harnesses, and I do 2 sets of 25 reps with a 25 lb plate attached. I incorporate this with my floor work at the end of my boxing work out everytime. Nothing like a strong neck, and while I havent had my first boxing match yet, I know it F#$ing helps to have a strong neck. It did wrestling anyways, one useful thing I've brought from wrestling too, when warming up to loosen up my neck, I balance myself on my neck and walk a 360 on my toes. Strengthens/loosens the neck great. Try it!
    Bridging is good for a flexible and strong back, and if done onto your head you can also strengthen your neck. Former champ Kostya Tszyu used to do this exercise and so did a lot of other fighters.

The harness is good too because it allows you to progressively strengthen your neck.

You can also strengthen your neck using a towel. In the end having a big neck helps but by itself isn't going to prevent you from getting knocked out. Look at Tyson for instance, he had a neck like a tree trunk later in career but as he got bigger so did his stance. The record speaks for itself.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by exwrestler
    id love to be able to do stuff like that, when i was younger and started out at the gym regular i always thought just lifting weights would be enough now i realise how it has come back to haunt me because although i can easily bench my bodyweight in sets i cant even touch my toes without bending my knees nevermind balancing on my neck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Google search

Rock Jaw Neck and Jaw Strengthener

Thread Information