Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Scoring rounds even

I don't know about you guys, but I can't STAND when people score rounds 10-10. It would be INCREDIBLY rare to have a round be 50/50. I mean even on the razer close rounds, there has to be one or two things that one guy did better than the other. I guess this sounds like a petty grievance, but it just comes off to me as being incredibly lazy.

I bring this up because it seems like EVERY fight on HBO, when they go to the Lederman scorecard, Larry Merchant quipts in with his scorecard and he always says something like "I got it 2 rounds to 1 and 1 even."

Anyone else get irked by the lazy, non-decision makers or is it just me? hahaha
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

ICB Guest

Default Re: Scoring rounds even

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    I don't know about you guys, but I can't STAND when people score rounds 10-10. It would be INCREDIBLY rare to have a round be 50/50. I mean even on the razer close rounds, there has to be one or two things that one guy did better than the other. I guess this sounds like a petty grievance, but it just comes off to me as being incredibly lazy.

I bring this up because it seems like EVERY fight on HBO, when they go to the Lederman scorecard, Larry Merchant quipts in with his scorecard and he always says something like "I got it 2 rounds to 1 and 1 even."

Well i try and avoid even rounds if possible but i normally score a round even if both men haven't done alot and both haven't landed alot then i normally score the round even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes i score a round evn when it's razor close because that cuts out my bias. I always seem to side with my fave fighter when it gets extremly close but this stops that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Commissions discourage strongly against even rounds. As originally pointed out, no two rounds are dead even. There's always something, even if only small, that will separate one fighter from the other. What it indicates is a sign of unsurety. An unwillingness to make up your mind. Or even a lack of concentration. When a pitcher throws a ball, the umpire has to make a call. He must be focused enough to tell you if it was a ball or a strike. He can't say, "It was too close. I can't make up my mind. Redo." Same thing with boxing. You must have total concentration. But if you've lost focus during a round, score it even. I'm not going to say it doesn't happen. When you're sitting there for 12 straight rounds and nothing is going on, you may lose focus. If your scorecard is littered with 10-10 rounds, the commission will (and should) take a look at what you're doing over there. You either (A) don't know what you're doing, (B) are totally unsure of yourself, or (C) not really paying attention. Even rounds happen. But they're rare.

I've never scored one. That's not to say they don't happen, but they should be incredibly rare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The times i remember seeing them do it (not to say these are the only times) is usually opening rounds where there is a lot "feeling out" and not much activity either way or in a final round if there are two fighter desperate tired fighters just sluggin away at each other for the last 45 sec or so towards the end of the round where there is no clear cut winner on a close fight. I've almost never seen the actual scorecards read 10-10 rounds since the judges are usually paying more attention not trying to commentate and do a bunch of other crap....
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar
    I've almost never seen the actual scorecards read 10-10 rounds since the judges are usually paying more attention not trying to commentate and do a bunch of other crap....
    I know you're not talking about Teddy Atlas...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Well i try and avoid even rounds if possible but i normally score a round even if both men haven't done alot and both haven't landed alot then i normally score the round even.
    I think a good example of what you say can be found in Round 1 of Tito V DLH, neither fighter did anything and you could flip a coin to judge who won the round.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not like you have all day to sit and contemplate every aspect of the round....sometimes its just too close to make a snap judgement on. I for one think the general public are a little rough on the judges, for one they arent watching live TV feeds and replaying stuff, these guys are fast and its hard to keep track in those fast paced back and forth rounds.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt, and really when I made this thread I never meant it towards actual judges because I RARELY see actual judges score rounds even. I meant it more towards certain announcers (cough cough merchant) and fans.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im guilty....but then again I'm not getting paid. If I had kept punch stats like most judges do, I would have less even rounds for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Shaw
    Sometimes i score a round evn when it's razor close because that cuts out my bias. I always seem to side with my fave fighter when it gets extremly close but this stops that.

I am with Sugar on that....I score rounds even when it could have gone either way...I don't look for a reason to say the other won....If I have to look for a reason to say the other guy deserves the rd then it was too close to call......

Like Shaw I would be edging toward my favorite so it cuts down on that keeps me fair
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I score it even when it looks even. If i can't make up my mind for a round, i call it even. A lot of times both fighters deserve the round. A coin flip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL

i don't mind and even round but the thing you said about larry merchant was spot on. he says that shit on every fight. it's like he has to make sure his card is differrent from lettermands card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate the "even" round but I'm guilty of doing it too. Sometimes it's just not right to give it to one fighter or the other (usually due to inactivity).

What irks me more is when one fighter is losing for 2:50 of a round but lands one really good punch (knockdowns excluded) and the announcer yells "oooo that probably won him the round". Should it really have won him the round? Come on!

ICB Guest

I will just say again when both men haven't done much and have only landed like in single digits and theres only difference of like 2 punches or ect i normally score the round even but like i said i normally try and avoid even rounds if possible i wish i had example but i can't think at the moment but i do remember i scored a round even in Whitaker vs Oscar fight because it was very hard to judge one guy was missing alot and the other guy wern't landing alot either and both men were landing in very small numbers in a fight like that i normally score a round even and its actually quite frustrating watching a fight like that because there was quite few rounds that could of been even or could of gone either way when i watch that fight my opinion changes all the time.

And then theres a round like Hearns vs Hagler which is probably one of the brutal even rounds in history and easily could of been scored even.

is usually opening rounds where there is a lot "feeling out

Yea totally agree i normally score those type of rounds even.

Another frustrating fight to watch is Tito vs Oscar there could of been quite a few rounds where it could of been scored even or ect just depends on what you look for when scoring a very even round do you score it on Aggression Ringeneral Ship Workrate Clean Punching ect.

Thread Information