Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The British (and Irish) RBR Returns - Dunne v Martinez and Oakey v Magee

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The British (and Irish) RBR Returns - Dunne v Martinez and Oakey v Magee

Good Evening folks,

Thanks to good old Setanta the British RBR returns a few weeks before the Witter v Harris fight, with a bill from The Point in Dublin, with Bernard Dunne facing mandatory Kiko Martinez for the European Super Bantamweight title, and Tony Oakey making a dangerous first defence of his British Light Heavyweight title against mandatory Brian Magee.

First up is the main event, and here's my tale of the tape:

Bernard Dunne (24-0, 14KOs) is coming in two months after his comprehensive win over Reidar Walstad in June, where he outboxed a smaller Norwegian to complete his second defence of the European belt. On the face of it, Dunne has much more competitive experience in the pro ranks, with Martinez barely having fought anyone with more wins than defeats. After an early career toughening up and fighting in the US, Dunne has impressed against European opposition, especially with his defeat of Pickering in claiming the vacant Euro belt, and in beating Walstad, where he showed that he could keep punching for 12 rounds, and avoid getting caught despite being prone to keeping his hands low.

Kiko Martinez (16-0, 13 KOs) is pretty much an unknown quantity, at least to me, but has an impressive reported 40 win streak in the amateurs (38 KOs) along with his fine early record in the pro game. However, the Spaniard will be making his first visit outside of Spain to fight, and will find the partisan atmosphere at the point a very different proposition to fighting before an audience of Spaniards against largely unheralded opponents. Only four of his sixteen opponents have held reasonable records with more wins than defeats, but I expect him to try and get Dunne out of there early with his reported heavy hands. Otherwise...the inevitable points decision or late stoppage would seem to be on the cards.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The British (and Irish) RBR Returns - Dunne v Martinez and Oakey v Magee

In the main support to the Dunne/Martinez fight is my favourite matchup of the evening, which sees new British Light Heavyweight champion Tony Oakey travel to Dublin to make his first defence of the title he won in May, with a final round stoppage of Steve Spartacus. The feature that most media have tagged on to in this fight, is that it is the first time a British title fight will be hosted outside of the UK. However, here's the downlow on the fighters:

Tony Oakey (24-2, 6 KOs) finally claimed the biggest title of his career in May, after winning WBU and Commonwealth titles back in the day, before he was slapped with a 12-month ban from the sport. Oakey was still looking a bit of an unknown force during his comeback fights, and was scheduled to fight Peter Oboh in a fight abandoned less than an hour before the fight, after Oboh refused to step through the ropes. In beating Spartacus, Oakey looked very impressive, outboxing and throwing harder shots than he is renowned for, and will hope to have similar luck against Magee.

Brian Magee (28-3, 19KOs) will be going into the fight as a heavy favourite, despite challenging for the belt, as he is the hometown fighter and has mixed with a higher level of opponents than Oakey. The Belfast man has challenged for a British Super-Middle title before, losing to Carl Froch, and also has defeats against Robin Reid and Vitaly Tsypko on his record. Magee is taller and more of a boxer, but Oakey is strong and hard-working, and we'll see what happens on fight night.

Action starts at 9.30pm GMT, 4.30pm Eastern, and I'm sure the rest of you can do the maths for yourselves.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The British (and Irish) RBR Returns - Dunne v Martinez and Oakey v Magee

Thanks Rhun, you know I'm picking the Irish to win these fights but they should be pretty closely contended fights.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc Rhun, I'm really looking forward to these fights.

Bernard Dunne is one of my favourite fighters to watch and this should be a great fight and hopefully he wins in emphatic style to set up a mega fight showdown with Steve Molitor in Dublin. That's actually one of my most wanted fights in 2008, actually seeing as Hatton and Mayweather and Calzaghe Kessler are already happening I can't think of many fights I'd rather see more!

Okaey vs Magee looks to be a pick'em. Magee has only lost to world class fighters and usually it's very close. Oakey is a pressure fighter and will work Magee hard but I feel he is too small, ironically even though it's Magee whose moving up in weight. At 5 ft 8 Oakey looks like he should be at middleweight rather than light heavy.

I think Magee will wear him down and stop him late or win a hard fought decison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm glad this card is on Setanta, this followed by UFC 74 should be a great fight night.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    I'm glad this card is on Setanta, this followed by UFC 74 should be a great fight night.
    UFC 74 looks great, really rooting for Randy, plus I soooooo want GSP to spark out crazy eyes Koscheck

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    Good Evening folks,

Thanks to good old Setanta the British RBR returns a few weeks before the Witter v Harris fight, with a bill from The Point in Dublin, with Bernard Dunne facing mandatory Kiko Martinez for the European Super Bantamweight title, and Tony Oakey making a dangerous first defence of his British Light Heavyweight title against mandatory Brian Magee.

First up is the main event, and here's my tale of the tape:

Bernard Dunne (24-0, 14KOs) is coming in two months after his comprehensive win over Reidar Walstad in June, where he outboxed a smaller Norwegian to complete his second defence of the European belt. On the face of it, Dunne has much more competitive experience in the pro ranks, with Martinez barely having fought anyone with more wins than defeats. After an early career toughening up and fighting in the US, Dunne has impressed against European opposition, especially with his defeat of Pickering in claiming the vacant Euro belt, and in beating Walstad, where he showed that he could keep punching for 12 rounds, and avoid getting caught despite being prone to keeping his hands low.

Kiko Martinez (16-0, 13 KOs) is pretty much an unknown quantity, at least to me, but has an impressive reported 40 win streak in the amateurs (38 KOs) along with his fine early record in the pro game. However, the Spaniard will be making his first visit outside of Spain to fight, and will find the partisan atmosphere at the point a very different proposition to fighting before an audience of Spaniards against largely unheralded opponents. Only four of his sixteen opponents have held reasonable records with more wins than defeats, but I expect him to try and get Dunne out of there early with his reported heavy hands. Otherwise...the inevitable points decision or late stoppage would seem to be on the cards.
    CC#649 on me superheavy.
    As always good work.

Oh! yeah I'm also gonna make this a sticky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good Evening folks,

For those of outside the UK - or inside UK, but with no supscription to Setanta for that matter - RTE is broadcasting the fights live on the internet:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2007/0824/dunneb.html

I've taken advantage of this once before, and the streaming quality was really good at that fight. Also, Bernard Dunne came off as an exciting fighter, and the atmosphere at the arena was among the best I've ever seen. So if people have the opportunity, they should allow themselves to enjoy this.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel_K
    Good Evening folks,

For those of outside the UK - or inside UK, but with no supscription to Setanta for that matter - RTE is broadcasting the fights live on the internet:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2007/0824/dunneb.html

I've taken advantage of this once before, and the streaming quality was really good at that fight. Also, Bernard Dunne came off as an exciting fighter, and the atmosphere at the arena was among the best I've ever seen. So if people have the opportunity, they should allow themselves to enjoy this.
    Yup, well spotted Mikkel, I've also used the RTE webcast to watch the last two of Dunne's fights, and I have always found it to work very well and is of good quality.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Top fella Mikkel, CC#32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Top fella Mikkel, CC#32.
    Always glad to be at your service

Now if only I had the time to see the fight myself tonight...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    cc Rhun, I'm really looking forward to these fights.

Bernard Dunne is one of my favourite fighters to watch and this should be a great fight and hopefully he wins in emphatic style to set up a mega fight showdown with Steve Molitor in Dublin. That's actually one of my most wanted fights in 2008, actually seeing as Hatton and Mayweather and Calzaghe Kessler are already happening I can't think of many fights I'd rather see more!

Okaey vs Magee looks to be a pick'em. Magee has only lost to world class fighters and usually it's very close. Oakey is a pressure fighter and will work Magee hard but I feel he is too small, ironically even though it's Magee whose moving up in weight. At 5 ft 8 Oakey looks like he should be at middleweight rather than light heavy.

I think Magee will wear him down and stop him late or win a hard fought decison.
    So Bilbo, come worl Title fight time will we be seein ya in dub for the celebration?
    Dunne should take this one, but i would like to see the hands up a little more against a puncher like Martinez as Dunne although easily beating Reidar Walstad, did encounter problems when tagged in the final round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't really explain why I'm picking martinez to win this fight as Dunne is bigger, more experienced, and has faced better opoosition. Doesn't make much sense, but i'm sticking with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got Martinez to win too.

CC Rhun,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going puttin a few squids on this fight. Obviously the smart money is on Dunne, but the upset would be profitable.
    1/3 Bernard Dunne 9/4 Kiko Martinez 20/1 Draw

Thread Information