Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who will make it to the finals?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 90s vs 2000s Welterweights Semifinals Felix Trinidad vs Floyd Mayweather

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 90s vs 2000s Welterweights Semifinals Felix Trinidad vs Floyd Mayweather

Mayweather by easy UD.

People also forget that even though 160 wasn't Trinidad's best weight he still had two arms yet he was UNABLE to lay a glove on a fighter with superior defense in Winky Wright. Trinidad's power or lack of was irrelevant; he looked like a rookie sparring partner. Let's see, both Trinidad's losses came against guys with superior defense and what is Mayweather known for? Speed, adaptability, superior defense, a decent chin, etc.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 90s vs 2000s Welterweights Semifinals Felix Trinidad vs Floyd Mayweather

Mayweather stopping Trinadad i heard it all now lmfao!!

The same guy who couldnt stop china chinner Zab Judah? Trinadad was a monster now i think Trinadad take Mayweather to the trenches, im still not sold on Mayweather at 147+ until he fights a live fighter Mosley Cotto Williams.

Hatton v Mayweather in all truth is a fight between two 140 lb fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Mayweather was well on his way to KOing Judah when he got uppercutted to the bawls. You have to be careful with a fighter like Judah because he's a good combo of speed and power and you never know which version of Judah is going to show up (ie, Spinks I versus Spinks II). Floyd would have gotten hurt if he tried to just jump on him. He took his time and broke him down.

And considering he went up to junior middle and won I think we can call him a legit welterweight now.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    Mayweather by easy UD.

People also forget that even though 160 wasn't Trinidad's best weight he still had two arms yet he was UNABLE to lay a glove on a fighter with superior defense in Winky Wright. Trinidad's power or lack of was irrelevant; he looked like a rookie sparring partner. Let's see, both Trinidad's losses came against guys with superior defense and what is Mayweather known for? Speed, adaptability, superior defense, a decent chin, etc.
    Well why don't we talk about what WW Trinidad was known for. Debilitating power puncher with both hands, very quick hands, constant pressure, efficient, precise puncher (whenever someone compared common opponents with Trinidad, Tito consistantly averaged a higher connect percentage), great stamina, great body puncher (he bacame more of a head hunter later in his career), etc.

No one, NO ONE would have an easy UD with Trinidad at 147. This is not a P4P match up, this is at 147, Tito's best weight and not PBFs best weight. Mayweather will have to do much more to convince me that he can take on an ATG welterweight, much less beat him easily. No his win over DLH did not do that. DLHs weak flurries were not convincing, his excuse for not using the jab more was ridiculous and his lack of stamina and inability to fight for 12 full rounds means he is no longer a serious threat as he once was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say that for one simple reason: when Trinidad was faced with an opponent who didn't wilt under his power he had no 2nd gear. There wasn't another plan to switch it up once Plan A didn't work. Hopkins walked through Trinidad and Wright blocked him. They took his Plan A away and he was pretty much lost. Mayweather would do the same and Trinidad wouldn't know what to do other than follow him around the ring and eat shot after shot.

But I wouldn't suggest something so ridiculous as Trinidad getting KO'd. Not unless Mayweather could hit him across the back with a folding chair first.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well at least we agree on something.

Look I'm not saying that Tito would beat him. I honestly don't know, there is just no way of knowing.

What I am saying is that beating prime Trinidad at 147 would not be easy like you and some others have said. The closest one that came to beating prime Tito was prime DLH and he still cuold not do it convincingly. No, Tito had no plan B but the fact is that very few fighters would be able to handle his plan A when Tito was at his best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying Tito was overrated or a cakewalk by any means. It's just that if you have one plan and you go up against a guy who's mapped out all the way to Plan Z there is every likelihood of you getting clowned.

Of course none of us knows what would happen, just what we believe based on prior outings. I could be way off and Tito takes Floyd out in the 1st. I just see two guys where one is significantly faster, adaptable and defensively schooled versus another guy who is pretty much strong and that's it. What happens when you can't put those heavy gloves on your opponent? In my book, you lose.
    Oops

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think tito might of nicked this one tbh...

Tito wasn't so much trouble by slick boxer, but it was the jab of oscar and hopkins that troubled him more than anything... floyd doesnt jab... lets not forget floyd's best weight is not WW, titos was...

Floyd just beat, a not past it, but not prime oscar, in their primes at WW i think both tito and oscar beat floyd every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    I think tito might of nicked this one tbh...

Tito wasn't so much trouble by slick boxer, but it was the jab of oscar and hopkins that troubled him more than anything... floyd doesnt jab... lets not forget floyd's best weight is not WW, titos was...

Floyd just beat, a not past it, but not prime oscar, in their primes at WW i think both tito and oscar beat floyd every time.
    How can you say Mayweather doesn't jab? He has one of the better jabs in the sport and used his jab more than Oscar did in their fight. I strongly disagree Oscar ever beating Mayweather in his prime because Oscar didn't have even close to the defense he has now, and also he tried to match speeds with guys faster than him which he didn't do against Mayweather. I think Oscar gave Mayweather more problems at his age than he would have in his first fight with Mosley sure he was faster, but he was also a one handed fighter who was a lot more open.

Trinidad however, I think Mayweather would have troubles if he tried to fight Tito off the ropes. I think Tito would have a hard time hitting him, and wouldn't stop Mayweather, but I think that Mayweather would lose due to 1. Tito's popularity and 2. Not being active enough. However, if Mayweather used his jab and footspeed I think he would totally befuddle Tito.

Thread Information