Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most gained, most lost, in one fight.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Most gained, most lost, in one fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    Well Hatton got tons of respect and finally made a name for himself everywhere and Tszyu retired ??
    Yeah but everyone says Tszyu was shot....on this board anyway.
    I dont think KT was shot, maybe past his best but still good. I think maybe by fighting in Rickys home town with a british ref he bit off more than he could chew to make some good money. It def gained Hatton a lot of respect as well.
    How can it gain him respect? Everyone NOW says he was a shot fighter going in there. Somehow the guy who blew Sharmba into the weeds (yet again) was now a 'done' fighter because rick beat him?
    I think the fact he got to Sharmba early hid the fact that he was on the decline. Dont get me wrong he was still a threat when he fought Ricky but i dont think he was the same KT as 99 or so.
    Look at the fighters before Mitchell.
    I mean Tackie was an easy win cos he is no world beater.
    Kostya struggled against Leija really, watch the fight it says KO 6 but he did not dominate it.
    Anyway Ricky got a lot more respect from beating KT than he would have from losing. Lose that fight and many would have said it proved he was overrated especially considering it was his home town with his ref.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    Well Hatton got tons of respect and finally made a name for himself everywhere and Tszyu retired ??
    I dont think KT was shot, maybe past his best but still good. I think maybe by fighting in Rickys home town with a british ref he bit off more than he could chew to make some good money. It def gained Hatton a lot of respect as well.
    How can it gain him respect? Everyone NOW says he was a shot fighter going in there. Somehow the guy who blew Sharmba into the weeds (yet again) was now a 'done' fighter because rick beat him?
    I think the fact he got to Sharmba early hid the fact that he was on the decline. Dont get me wrong he was still a threat when he fought Ricky but i dont think he was the same KT as 99 or so.
    Kostya struggled against Leija really, watch the fight it says KO 6 but he did not dominate it.
    Anyway Ricky got a lot more respect from beating KT than he would have from losing. Lose that fight and many would have said it proved he was overrated especially considering it was his home town with his ref.
    How would he gain more from losing? Of course he got more respect for winning . I'm only saying people were writing off Kostya for losing to Rick. If you think Kostya looked anyting but on the ball in the 2nd Sharmba fight.......your opinions differ from mine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    I'll go with that, my respect for Hatton went through the roof with that win, irrespective of Tszyu's age and inactivity it was a career defining win for Hatton that now sees him in one of the biggest fights of the year! Tszyu didn't lose that much in that fight as i think he may have only fought one more time anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    How would he gain more from losing? Of course he got more respect for winning . I'm only saying people were writing off Kostya for losing to Rick. If you think Kostya looked anyting but on the ball in the 2nd Sharmba fight.......your opinions differ from mine
    Na you are right he looked good against Mitchell, but Ricky type fighters always gave him more trouble than Mitchell style fighters. Still think Hatton gained a lot from beating KT haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    Na you are right he looked good against Mitchell, but Ricky type fighters always gave him more trouble than Mitchell style fighters. Still think Hatton gained a lot from beating KT haha.
    It was the fight of his life, I think he made his mark with sheer determination that night. He took some big shots in there..........I sometimes watch that fight and wonder how the fuck he shrugged them off. It really dont matter where Tszyu lands, they must hurt like buggery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    It was the fight of his life, I think he made his mark with sheer determination that night. He took some big shots in there..........I sometimes watch that fight and wonder how the F*** he shrugged them off. It really dont matter where Tszyu lands, they must hurt like buggery
    I bet none of his punche shurt as much as Ricky's low blow......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    It was the fight of his life, I think he made his mark with sheer determination that night. He took some big shots in there..........I sometimes watch that fight and wonder how the F*** he shrugged them off. It really dont matter where Tszyu lands, they must hurt like buggery
    I give him the shot..............fuck it, he took two himself.
    The ref made him fight too soon though he should have had the full 5 minutes but he was asking after 40 odd seconds "are you ok?" and Kostya said "yes" Warrior!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    I give him the shot..............F*** it, he took two himself.
    The ref made him fight too soon though he should have had the full 5 minutes but he was asking after 40 odd seconds "are you ok?" and Kostya said "yes" Warrior!
    Yeah Kostyas corner should have been on to that, KT could have done with a breather even if it was with his balls black and blue....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    Yeah Kostyas corner should have been on to that, KT could have done with a breather even if it was with his balls black and blue....
    All in all, he beat him. Kostya had never fought at that pace before and maybe at 35 it was all too much for him. But Rick walked through what he had and won. The way he spoke about Kostya after the fight was very respectful. It was his time i suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    All in all, he beat him. Kostya had never fought at that pace before and maybe at 35 it was all too much for him. But Rick walked through what he had and won. The way he spoke about Kostya after the fight was very respectful. It was his time i suppose.
    So he should have been respectful. Kostya must be the only champ in history to fight an unproven challenger in his hometown, with his ref at his preferred time. I know KT got good money but i bet Ricky did ok out of it too. Can u imagine Ricky fighting an aussie young gun in Sydney when he is 35? Never in a thousand years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton vs Tszyu ??
    Who lost and who gained?
    So he should have been respectful. Kostya must be the only champ in history to fight an unproven challenger in his hometown, with his ref at his preferred time. I know KT got good money but i bet Ricky did ok out of it too. Can u imagine Ricky fighting an aussie young gun in Sydney when he is 35? Never in a thousand years.
    Rick did take a huge paycut to get Kostya there, he was under Frank Warren at the time as you will probably know. I can't see Rick going to OZ to be honest as the competition is slim, but he did beat Tackie almost as well as Kostya did (but not quite as masterful as Tszyu)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy.
    Douglas vs Tyson
    JCC vs Meldrick Taylor 1
    Lewis vs Ruddock
    Jones vs Tarver 2
    Curry vs Honeyghan

I'll think of some more later.
    When I 1st read the topic title I thought of Douglas & Tyson.

Maybe Rahman over Lewis!
    I dunno about Rahman Lewis. Everyone knew it was a fluke and Lewis proved it in the rematch.
    I agree that it was a fluke & Lewis was dominate in the return, but the topic says most gained & lost! Rahman gained the world heavyweight championship, defeated a dominate champ & future hall of famer & is arguably still using the fame he gained there today to position himself for big fights. As for Lewis his legacy will always be plagued by those who question his greatness because of his loss to a glorified journeyman like Rahman. Thats some pretty big gains & loses IMO
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Douglas vs Tyson
    JCC vs Meldrick Taylor 1
    Lewis vs Ruddock
    Jones vs Tarver 2
    Curry vs Honeyghan

I'll think of some more later.
    Must admit I disagree with most of these choices. Douglas gained nothing from the Tyson win, he surrended his titles in his first defense, balloned up to over 20 stone and disappeared back into obscurity. Tyson on the otherhand remained the most talked about, controverisal and feared boxer for the next decade.

Tarver gained very little respect from the Jones wins most people still can't stand him and few rate him as a great so he didn't gain a whole lot, although Jones clearly lost his invincible aura after that fight.

Definitely Barrera Hamed is the best example, others I can think of are Liston Ali both fights, Ali became a legend overnight, Liston faded into obscurity. Another would be Duran against DavyMoore, Duran rebuilt his career that had looked as good as over, champion Moore never won a big fight again and died not long after.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Douglas gained $30 million for his fight with Holyfield.

I do not think that if Hatton looses to Mayweather it will do his career much damage as he will say he moved up in weight and fought the best p4p fighter today. I think Margarito loosing to Williams is bigger because he was supposed to be the big challenge for Mayweather and now he is well down the pecking order and so will the looser of Cotto/Mosley in their quest to fight Mayweather and be the best p4p fighter today.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cooper Clay 1

Cooper gains on 2 fronts. He loses and avoids Liston and he knock Clay down and is famous for life

Thread Information