Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most gained, most lost, in one fight.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Most gained, most lost, in one fight.

Jones-Tarver II.

When someone as skillful and great as Jones was gets knocked out, you would hope it wouldn't be by a complete nob head.

Unfortunately, this is what happened, but thankfully, Tarver's been exposed since.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sprott V Audley. Audley was fresh off the back of mashing up Danny Williams and set to be going somehwere at long last. That somewhere unded up being face first on the cavass Well done Michael Sprott who went from a nobody to a somebody with one hit. Unfortunately he is back to being a nobody after refusing to chance his arm again against Matt Skelton.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Sprott V Audley. Audley was fresh off the back of mashing up Danny Williams and set to be going somehwere at long last. That somewhere unded up being face first on the cavass Well done Michael Sprott who went from a nobody to a somebody with one hit. Unfortunately he is back to being a nobody after refusing to chance his arm again against Matt Skelton.
    Luckiest punch i have ever seen that was
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Douglas vs Tyson
    JCC vs Meldrick Taylor 1
    Lewis vs Ruddock
    Jones vs Tarver 2
    Curry vs Honeyghan

I'll think of some more later.
    Must admit I disagree with most of these choices. Douglas gained nothing from the Tyson win, he surrended his titles in his first defense, balloned up to over 20 stone and disappeared back into obscurity. Tyson on the otherhand remained the most talked about, controverisal and feared boxer for the next decade.

Tarver gained very little respect from the Jones wins most people still can't stand him and few rate him as a great so he didn't gain a whole lot, although Jones clearly lost his invincible aura after that fight.

Definitely Barrera Hamed is the best example, others I can think of are Liston Ali both fights, Ali became a legend overnight, Liston faded into obscurity. Another would be Duran against DavyMoore, Duran rebuilt his career that had looked as good as over, champion Moore never won a big fight again and died not long after.
    Bilbo i think you misunderstood the topic was who gained most and lost the most in one single fight not what they done after but from one single fight Douglas was first man to beat so called baddest man on the planet and Tyson was never the same and lost his aura of invincibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this is a great topic.

One that comes to mind is Ali - Foreman

At this point Ali had lossed twice and was the underdog probably for the first time in his life since Liston. Foreman was an unstopable force who had tottally destroyed and demolished both men who beat Ali. After the fight, Ali's career got a HUGE seccond wind. Had Ali Lossed that fight I don't think he would be what he is today. It is quite possible that he would not have finished the triology with Frazier or gotten the re-match with Norton. Foreman in the other hand never recovered and had to wait an incredible 20 years before winning a title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan
    I think this is a great topic.

One that comes to mind is Ali - Foreman

At this point Ali had lossed twice and was the underdog probably for the first time in his life since Liston. Foreman was an unstopable force who had tottally destroyed and demolished both men who beat Ali. After the fight, Ali's career got a HUGE seccond wind. Had Ali Lossed that fight I don't think he would be what he is today. It is quite possible that he would not have finished the triology with Frazier or gotten the re-match with Norton. Foreman in the other hand never recovered and had to wait an incredible 20 years before winning a title.

Good one, you beat me to it. That was the epitome of a psychological knockout. Foreman came in invincible and left broken even though Ali took the greater physical beating.

I'd also have to include Leonard Duran II in the same vein. Having already lost to Duran, if Leonard had lost the second fight I'm fairly certain his legacy would have been seriously tarnished. Leonard beat Duran psychologically the same way Ali took out Foreman. The post fight interviews were very telling, with Duran announcing his retirement after saying "No Mas" Of course he came back and continued to wreck havoc, but for the short term you just can't beat the mind fwock of the 7th round... gives me goose bumps every time I watch it.
    Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!! Down Goes Frazier!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd have to add Trinidad/Hopkins in the mix as well. Tito was thought to be unbeatable by some and only the purists knew Hopkins would give him trouble or beat him. Hopkins was pretty much unknown at this point to the casual fan, and that changed dramatically after the fight. If he didn't fight Tito I highly doubt he would be part of GBP right now because I know DLH wouldn't have fought him if Tito didn't. He would still be fighting the Joppy's and Eastman's of the world because nobody would want to take that risk for a minimal payday. We all know what happened to Tito after that fight so I'll stop there.
    I know everything about nothing!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys are all forgetting your boxing history and just concentrating on the modern era ... when boxing is a minority sport.

For me, there can only be one fight ...... the Jeffries v Johnson heavyweight title fight in Reno on Independence Day 1910.

James J. Jeffries was a gigantic 6'3" and 230 pounds. He was a great athlete who could run the 100m in just over ten seconds despite his size and won the title and defended it some 7 times. He was the first heavywight champion to actually retire undefeated (only Rocky Marciano has done this since) and was celebrated and feted as the greatest fighter who had ever lived and a prime specimen of the white race (those were the times in the USA, I'm afraid)

Johnson came along after he had retired and won the title against the much smaller Tommy Burns. The whole of white America hated Johnson, mainly because he was black but also because of his arrogance and habit of mocking his opponents in the ring.

Public pressure grew and grew for Jeffries to come out of retirement to teach the uppity Johnson a lesson and "restore the title to the white race" (Jack London). IN fairness, Jeffries answered the challenge more out of a sense of duty rather than any real wish to fight again.

In the fight, Jack Johnson mercilessly pounded Jeffries and kept up a running commentary of taunts to him and to his corner. It was a one-sided massacre and Jeffries was humiliated.

After the fight, race riots, lynchings and violence erupted across the US .... the social order had changed somehow after this fight when black people (quietly) rejoiced at the fact that 'they' had won something in equal competition with a white man, the world had its first universally recognised black world heavyweight champion, the first fighter who was not tied to a manager or promoter, Johnson began his march to all-time greatness while Jeffries legend was forever tarnished by this one loss that occurred after his prime had been and gone. He retired again, a broken man. Johnson was a prototype oif a modern boxer in style, size and technique .. and he forever altered the sweet science of boxing.

I cannot think of a single other boxing match where more was won and lost by the protagonists, that received more public interest, where more social impact occurred, or indeed of more historical significance.

(honourable mention to Louis/Schmeling II, but I would argue that was of greater POLITICAL import, but much less of everything else I mentioned above)
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

joe calzaghe vs. jeff lacy

i guess tyson vs. spinks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Baldomir v Judah. From journeyman to Ring Champ.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

judah - baldozar

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 'Big' Dan McCarthy
    Baldomir v Judah. From journeyman to Ring Champ.
    Aww come on Dan your being bit harsh Judah after that fight did get an award for his wwe moves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    judah - baldozar
    Yep, Baldimir for sure. He beats Judah and gets a wopping good couple of paydays fighting Floyd then Forrest who he would never have fought if it wasn't for that win. Good one!
    Judah loses and his career goes down the crapper not winning again for two years.

ICB Guest

Liston vs Patterson ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id have to say Duran-Leonard 2. Duran took a lot of sh@t from the media and was labelled as a quitter. It took him some time to get his respect back. He took a lot of undeserved criticism. Leonard on the other hand was propelled to greatr stardom and more big fights and he proved he was among the best.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Thread Information