Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So Long Joe Calzaghe, So Long

Even going by the posts here it seems to be an up in the air fight....i'd pick kessler if i had to.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee
    AND...
    Big H is right mate, Marciano's quality of opposition imo was inferior to Calzaghe's.

He only just beat a Jersey Joe Walcott who was almost 40, the oldest world champ until George Foreman reclaimed his throne in the 90's and a man who had lost 4 previous world title attempts/

He was the 50's Frank Bruno and it was shaemful that Marciano was behind upto the 12th round, Ali would have made Walcott look like a fool, and guys like Lewis, Tyson, Foreman etc would have annihilated him inside 3 rounds.

Most observers felt Marciano lost his first fight to La Starza a light heavy. Charles also was a light heavy as was Archie Moore.

Marciano never beat a legitimate great hevyweight (or even fought one) unless you count an ancient Joe Louis brought back to boxing a broken and destitute man thanks to the American taxman.

He was the best fighter of his era no doubt, but his era probably sucked more than the current one. In fact with guys like Toney, Roy Jones etc moving upto heavyweight and old champs like Holyfield coming back it has many parallels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo mate inferior to Calzaghe. whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

At least Rocky fought other world champs unlike Calzaghe fighting jokes week in week out. Manfredo's a contender, Sakio's now a contender.

ICB Guest

Bilbo calling Walcott the 50's version of Bruno is very unfair but i do agree he was very old and was giving Marciano boxing lesson.

Walcott gave Louis all he could handle and should of won there first fight he was robbed and also beat Joey Maxim and the great Ezzard Charles.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    AND...
    Big H is right mate, Marciano's quality of opposition imo was inferior to Calzaghe's.

He only just beat a Jersey Joe Walcott who was almost 40, the oldest world champ until George Foreman reclaimed his throne in the 90's and a man who had lost 4 previous world title attempts/

He was the 50's Frank Bruno and it was shaemful that Marciano was behind upto the 12th round, Ali would have made Walcott look like a fool, and guys like Lewis, Tyson, Foreman etc would have annihilated him inside 3 rounds.

Most observers felt Marciano lost his first fight to La Starza a light heavy. Charles also was a light heavy as was Archie Moore.

Marciano never beat a legitimate great hevyweight (or even fought one) unless you count an ancient Joe Louis brought back to boxing a broken and destitute man thanks to the American taxman.

He was the best fighter of his era no doubt, but his era probably sucked more than the current one. In fact with guys like Toney, Roy Jones etc moving upto heavyweight and old champs like Holyfield coming back it has many parallels.
    The one in red is the stupidest comment I ever read. The one in blue is the second stupidest comment I ever read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha VD

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if i'm totally honest it would be a better result if Kessler won because he is young and the future of the sport but to be honest i think Joe will handle him with no problems.

so really the title of this thread should be Good bye Royal, So long

but honestly i aint really bothered who wins this one.... Joe has been a good fighter in the UK and i cant knock what hes achived so if he loses... so what we will have a new force at super middle... but i doubt he will

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least Rocky fought other world champs unlike Calzaghe fighting jokes week in week out. Manfredo's a contender, Sakio's now a contender.
    I wasn't talking about Calzaghe's opponents in comparison to Rocky Marciano's, I was just picking up on the fact that you think Marciano beating 49 stiffs means something. Look at the win loss records and the ages of his opponents it is OFFICIALLY the worst list of opponents for any long standing World Heavyweight champion

And as for fighting other world champions? Do you mean reigning champions? because there was only 1 body then so if he was champion he was fighting other champions. If you mean previos champions (and now I will compare to Calzaghe)

Woodhall
    Reid
    Eubank
    Brewer
    Lacy
    Mitchell

Yup I think they have all been World Champions - and none of them were 40 years old or had had 180 fights!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H

I wasn't talking about Calzaghe's opponents in comparison to Rocky Marciano's, I was just picking up on the fact that you think Marciano beating 49 stiffs means something. Look at the win loss records and the ages of his opponents it is OFFICIALLY the worst list of opponents for any long standing World Heavyweight champion

And as for fighting other world champions? Do you mean reigning champions? because there was only 1 body then so if he was champion he was fighting other champions. If you mean previos champions (and now I will compare to Calzaghe)

Woodhall
    Reid
    Eubank
    Brewer
    Lacy
    Mitchell

Yup I think they have all been World Champions - and none of them were 40 years old or had had 180 fights!
    Sounds like your saying Marciano was a bum.

ICB Guest

Woodhall
    Reid
    Eubank
    Brewer
    Lacy
    Mitchell

3 of those names on your list were past it.

Brewer, Eubank, Woodhall,

Lacy was a prospect.

Mitchell wasn't that good to begin with he got tkoed by 14-2 fighter Manny Siaca and also lost to him again by decision.

Reid was not considered a threat after getting outboxed by 42 year old Malinga and i thought Reid vs Calzaghe was a draw if Reid had not had point deducted he would of won on my card so why wasn't there a rematch ??

So i don't really see your point none of them names are really any good except Eubank who was past it and Lacy who was an overrated prospect and Reid who was step below world class.

I would rather have and old shot Joe Louis, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles on my record than the other lot i know that for certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Woodhall
    Reid
    Eubank
    Brewer
    Lacy
    Mitchell

Marciano was a great fighter.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Woodhall
    Reid
    Eubank
    Brewer
    Lacy
    Mitchell

Lacy was a prospect.

Mitchell wasn't that good to begin with he got tkoed by 14-2 fighter Manny Siaca and also lost to him again by decision.

Reid was not considered a threat after getting outboxed by 42 year old Malinga and i thought Reid vs Calzaghe was a draw if Reid had not had point deducted he would of won on my card so why wasn't there a rematch ??

So i don't really see your point none of them names are really any good except Eubank who was past it and Lacy who was an overrated prospect and Reid who was step below world class.

I would rather have and old shot Joe Louis, Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles on my record than the other lot i know that for certain.
    My point is that the geezer said that Calzaghe hadn't fought any other champions sunshine! Don't matter how you pick them apart, that wasn't the point.

And just for the record - Lacy a prospect - what a crock of sh1t. He was world champion! Favourite to win the fight. Billed as USA's next great boxer.

He was 209-12 as an amateur (about twuice as many fights as JC) - but still just a prospect. And of course everybody was saying he was just a prospect and would lose weren't they.

Was JC just a propspect when he beat Eubank after the same number of fights?
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Woodhall
    Reid
    Eubank
    Brewer
    Lacy
    Mitchell

Lacy was a prospect.

My point is that the geezer said that Calzaghe hadn't fought any other champions sunshine! Don't matter how you pick them apart, that wasn't the point.

And just for the record - Lacy a prospect - what a crock of sh1t. He was world champion! Favourite to win the fight. Billed as USA's next great boxer.

He was 209-12 as an amateur (about twuice as many fights as JC) - but still just a prospect. And of course everybody was saying he was just a prospect and would lose weren't they.

Was JC just a propspect when he beat Eubank after the same number of fights?
    Well whatever you think Lacy was a prospect and had shown major flaws against Syd Vanderpool who was ahead after 8 rounds when Lacy finally stopped him and won very tough decision against Sheika who wasn't all that the problem is BIG H the people who were overrating Lacy were just going along with other people and had not seen many Lacy fights if any especially the ones i mentioned as for Calzaghe yes he was a prospect vs Eubank but Calzaghe is much better fighter simple as.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you ever thought that perhaps JC just had Lacy's number and took away his strengths straight from the 1st bell?

ICB Guest

Have you ever thought that perhaps JC just had Lacy's number and took away his strengths straight from the 1st bell?
    Well thats obvisious of course he does but Lacy was seriously overrated and wasn't nearly as good as he was made out to be.

Thread Information