Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Taylor: Bad champion or great opposition

A lot of talk has been made about Taylor's reign. Now that it is over, give me your honest opinion.

I'll give mine later.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Taylor: Bad champion or great opposition

I dont buy in to the bad mouthing of j.t

i think ouma and spinks were two guys that were hard to look good against, and bhop and winky were two guys impossible to look good against. And that schedule alone, people need to understand is impressive to still remain undefeated afterwards.

what i do agree on is that j.t doesn't seem to fight at his best at all times. He seems to take to much brakes or too little time trying to win like a champion. But i believe the j.t pavlik beat was the j.t we were all waiting for. The bad intentions of j.t just got overcome by the ghost of pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BAD CHAMPION NO DOUBT, GLAD HE'S DETHRONED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain

i think ouma and spinks were two guys that were hard to look good against, and bhop and winky were two guys impossible to look good against. And that schedule alone, people need to understand is impressive to still remain undefeated afterwards.

what i do agree on is that j.t doesn't seem to fight at his best at all times. He seems to take to much brakes or too little time trying to win like a champion. But i believe the j.t pavlik beat was the j.t we were all waiting for. The bad intentions of j.t just got overcome by the ghost of pavlik.
    I don't much care for all the bad mouthing either, though Danny G. has a way to make it funny JT is a very good fighter and he had never been down till last night, so it's kind of hard to call him a bum. He'll either let this loss motivate him or he'll quit and be done after a couple more fights. Depends on his true feelings and passion, and how bad he wants to avenge that loss. I see him always being a little leary of PavMan after he k.o.'d him for the 1st time, but I guess time will tell. He does seem to either sit around and do nothing or try too hard to get someone out, too inconsistent much of the time. I look forward to seeing what this loss brings out in him.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain

Agree completely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way I see it JT has very high regards to himself just seeing his comments and interviews you can just feel the confidence exuding. His ego is hurt and I'm pretty sure he will be back for vengeance, but considering Pavlik is YOUNGER and seems STRONGER and LEARNING it is going to be hard to get that vindication.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets look at his last few fights

Hopkins
    Hopkins
    Wright
    Ouma
    Spinks
    Pavlik

And only one loss

I thought eh lost a majority of them but stiull respect is respect so I refuse to call him a bad champion.

Tell me one "top p4p" fighter who fought that kind of opposition back to back to back to back to back recently.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

one thing we cant ever say is taylor is a ducker, hes fought the best and beaten some of them, a good champion most definetly

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Taylor is/was a good champion. He fought the best and actually really impressed me yesterday even in defeat.

I think he will be more popular now actually. He was always a likeably affable guy but the constant criticisms he faced after each successive fight and the murmours that he got a few 'lucky' decisions affected him and made him more angry.

But he's come from a hard working class background, and always represented his home town of Little Rock well.

I hope he can come back, I always liked him as a man and now he's lost the pressure relief may even help him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He always fought at the level of his opposition. He never seemed to have the heart. He had the skills but not the heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok I'm gonna put my 2cents in now.

Yes, he had great opposition.

No, he was not a bad champion, but.......

He is far from great.

His two fights with Hopkins were more a case of B-Hop letting him win than Taylor beating him. Hopkins just didn't do enough to win.

His fight wis Wright was actually one of his best even though he didn't win but in the end he was just too big and strong for Wright.

The same is true to a larger extent with his next two fights.

I think it was just a matter of time before a true contender would come up and beat him. A young strong fighter that really wanted it. Pavlik was that contender. And he did a great job last night.

The thing is in many respects JT is still very amaturish in his defensive problems with keeping that left low, his going straight back and just not knowing what to do sometimes. His solid chin and great atheticism got him this far but he has got a hole lot to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no way you can call him a bad champion. Look at who he has fought. There aren't many people out there that could have done that. No matter how some of his last couple fights looked, he was still the champ. It wasn't pretty, but he stood in there with the top elite fighters of today.

Personally, I am very happy that Kelly won and I am a huge fan of Kelly's, but that fight could have gone either way. I mean JT had Kelly stumbling all around the ring in the 2nd. He was only one shot from Kelly being done. But Kelly showed a hella of a heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He won the title by twice beating a fighter who had an all-time record 20 consecutive defense. Then in his first fight after Hopkins, he takes on the toughest guy out there, Winky.

He was a legit middleweight champ who nearly KO'd Pavlik and only lost because of Pavlik's great performance.

This fight is about congratulating Pavlik, not bashing Taylor.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I think Taylor is/was a good champion. He fought the best and actually really impressed me yesterday even in defeat.

I think he will be more popular now actually. He was always a likeably affable guy but the constant criticisms he faced after each successive fight and the murmours that he got a few 'lucky' decisions affected him and made him more angry.

But he's come from a hard working class background, and always represented his home town of Little Rock well.

I hope he can come back, I always liked him as a man and now he's lost the pressure relief may even help him.
    I agree Taylor was good champion even though im Pavlik fan i got to give Taylor his props he done even better than i expected and looked really good he has nothing to be ashamed of.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good NOT Great by any means.

Thread Information